Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TexasBlake 
#1 ·
I finally picked up my 472 this weekend. The pistons indicate that it is a 71-73 and is already bored .030. I'll have the machinist check to see if it needs to be bored over more this week. It also came with a Eldorado oil pan which is good considering it is going in my Jeep and I don't want to use a front sump. I double checked the cam and it is indeed a 472. I don't know if I'll put a 500 crank in it; it depends on how much I can buy one for and if I need to buy new pistons and rods.

The plan is to build it stock. It has to idle all day and run all day so I don't want anything that will give me problems. I might put a low RPM cam in it if anything.

I also got the matching TH400 that was just rebuilt, but I still have to tear it all apart to convert the transmission to 4x4.

Sorry if this post is worthless, I've just been looking into putting a 472/500 in my Jeep for about a year now and I finally found one that was basically free. :)

#4 ·
If it was already bored .030 over, don't use the pistons to figure out what year it is.

That sounds like an awsome project, should have more than enough power to climb up walls with that thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.