: Help please, so now what do i drive everyday?

Jdani
12-26-11, 09:08 PM
So i was car shopping because my 2009 bmw 535i lease is ending, i was sick of bmws had 3 in a row and nothing really changed. i stopped in cadi and test drove the cts v sedan and that was it i bought it.. now problem is what do i drive everyday i dont think i could drive this car everyday because its too nice plus i do about 25k miles a year and it does snow here in nj plus the gas milage, i know i should have thought about all that but if i did who would buy these cars, anyway i do have a 2006 f150 4wd which is an awesome truck but gets 12 mpg combined again not a commuter. I spent all weekend second guesing myself that i should have bought something more practical but its too late for that. thinking of trading in f150 new ones get way better milage but this doesnt make to much sense because that transaction will cost about 25k to gain 5mpg.. so any suggestions would gladly be appreciated, i could afford another vehicle for commuting if i had to, also my son plays a ton of travel hockey, again who wants to beat the crap out of this cadi especially in the winter, how about i trade the f150 for something like a bmwx5 diesel( great mpg) of i dont want to spend the money i guess i could use the f150 for a while.. thanks by the way im new to this Forum

Trapspeed
12-26-11, 09:11 PM
Great move! Truthfully, I say keep the truck. Gas mileage is what it is. I'd be willing to say if that scared you a lot you would have never bought a V! Welcome and enjoy.

MotownPimp
12-27-11, 01:32 AM
Are you not bgoing to need another vehicle sooner or later? If you can pay the freight why not go buy a good used 4 wheel drive vehicle (e.g. Toyota 4 Runner) to use for work & taking son to his games?

M5eater
12-27-11, 06:39 AM
touareg V10 TDI.

J/P.

If I wanted something that got 20+MPG combined and had AWD, I'd be looking at an X3 or Q5. I wouldn't bother with the diesel versions. Being that Diesel is so expensive, the savings if fuel costs is minnimal.

neuronbob
12-27-11, 09:03 AM
I drive my V every day, rain or snow. That's what it's for, after all!

I went through similar angst after I bought my V almost three years ago. The first full winter, in particular, I considered buying a cheap AWD/4WD truck. However, once the Sottozeros went on and I tried the car I'm the winter, all the talk of spending more money on yet another registration and insurance for yet another vehicle went away. I am hooked on this car 24/7/365.

The car is comfy enough for 25k miles a year. That leaves the only remaining concern as mileage. Can't help you there, bro. :)

M5eater
12-27-11, 09:26 AM

I went through similar angst after I bought my V almost three years ago. The first full winter, in particular, I considered buying a cheap AWD/4WD truck. However, once the Sottozeros went on and I tried the car I'm the winter, all the talk of spending more money on yet another registration and insurance for yet another vehicle went away. I am hooked on this car 24/7/365.

The car is comfy enough for 25k miles a year. That leaves the only remaining concern as mileage. Can't help you there, bro. :)
In reality, even at 15 or 12mpg, the cost of fuel isn't enough that another vehicle is going to cost you less to operate in the short term(2-4 years). The difference between the V and a 20MPG combined vehicle is <$2K a year in 15K /year rates. You'd have to get into something with 30mpg combined in order to start seeing some acutal fuel cost reductions, but unfortunatly to get close to that in an SUV you need to be looking at hybrids since the good diesels aren't sold here. So that means a more expensive car with a bigger payment is going to offset any fuel cost reduction plans you had. Which then means the only way to acutally save money over the short-term is a fuel-effecient(ie slow and small) mid-sized sedan or even a compact.

cdog533
12-27-11, 12:15 PM
Don't worry about the gas... you only live once.

Put on snow tires for the winter, take em off in April.

JimmyH
12-27-11, 12:49 PM
find a used forester or outback

M5eater
12-27-11, 12:58 PM

That was my thought, Wasen't sure if he wanted to ''stoop down'' to middle-america after thinking about an X5 though lol.

dare I say-- a volvo XC70 is another option if you have a burning desire for the soccer-mom image.

buddyg
12-27-11, 03:58 PM
Drive it like you stole it. I am driving mine year round in Michigan with some snow tires. I will put 25,000 per year but that makes me happy!

cdog533
12-27-11, 04:06 PM

You are wearing a Timex. You make some $$$, buy a Rolex! You promptly put Rolex in drawer as not to damage it, ever. Continue wearing Timex.

Does this make sense? That being said, I don't have snow tires...

garfin
12-27-11, 06:02 PM

+1
Get a set of Sottos on some extra wheels and a set of WeatherTech Floor Liners. I have my V oil-sprayed before the winter (no holes drilled!) and I'm good to go.Try to avoid brushing the snow off painted surfaces as well!
I'm so happy to be able to drive this car all year round and not have to deal with a "beater". Did that for 13 years and it's like the albatross has been removed from around my neck!

Best regards,

Elie

Jdani
12-27-11, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the great replies, after reading all of Them I agree that snow tires make the most sense, and I will keep my pick up fir the real real bad snow, but at leas with snow tires I don't have to worry if I'm out with car and I get 1 inch that I'm screwed. I did think about the used suv idea but problem with that us that timed story which is very true. At least with the pick up it knows what it's trying to be. I'm not to much if a suv guy. So now where do I get thes snow tires and wheels?

JimmyH
12-29-11, 01:37 PM
You are wearing a Timex. You make some $$$, buy a Rolex! You promptly put Rolex in drawer as not to damage it, ever. Continue wearing Timex.

Does this make sense? That being said, I don't have snow tires...

I didn't have the heart or stomach to subject my V to snow and salt. That's why I bought a Camaro.

wfo
12-29-11, 03:54 PM
Whew!! I thought this was going to be tough decision.

Always default to common sense.

If you look out the window or hear about crappy weather coming or you actually see it...take the truck...Genius isn't it.

Otherwise:

When you buy a nice car lie a Cadillac V, everyone will drool over it...face it, it just happens. Tough ain't it?

Now, you go and park it in the garage, keep it all nice and clean and then turn off lights in your garage and walk away thinking about this sweet ride all day long, just wishing you were driving it. Does that sound about right? Sure it does...Because that's what happens. Do you want that?

DRIVE YOUR V man!

It's rare all American muscle.

Yes, America! The greatest place on the planet.

Now go apologize to your V...go ahead, we're watching.

hulksdaddy
12-29-11, 11:40 PM
When I want to drive, I drive the V.

When I want to shuttle between parking lots filled with people who don't give a shit about other peoples property, I take the Ridgeline.

And when there's snow on the ground, it's just smarter to take the Honda.

dironvictorious
12-30-11, 09:40 AM
I have 2010 V as my daily driver. I am averaging about 12-13k year. As per previous posts, the snow is not a problem with sotto zeros. With these tires, this car is better than my previous AWD SRX is the snow and ice.

Ride quality is excellent. The magnetic shocks really do work. The only real issue with the v as a daily driver in nj/ny, is gas mileage in stop/go traffic and pot holes. The V is 4000lbs+ and the stock pilots have stiff short side-walls. I am running hankooks now, as a summer tire which is much more forgiving and less expensive when have to be replaced.

Mileage in the 30-65mph range is livable, if you stay out of revs/boost. Real world fuel use doesn't seem much worse than my previous V8 SRX AWD. However, the small tank will have you filling up more often.

I would love to see GM put an 8 speed auto in these cars. The current 6 speed auto is fantastic in terms of performance and smoothness, but one more overdrive gear to bring revs down to 1000rpm or so at 60-70mph would make the car a highway commuting champ.

The cost of driving a CTS-V 25K miles a year, will still be less than having a prius as a commuter and a week-end sports car:)

M5eater
12-30-11, 10:02 AM
That is one big advantage with a Tremec V... the fuel economy is almost liveable really.

Emax
12-30-11, 11:13 AM
When I want to drive, I drive the V.

When I want to shuttle between parking lots filled with people who don't give a shit about other peoples property, I take the Ridgeline.

And when there's snow on the ground, it's just smarter to take the Honda.

I love having the V in the garage when I want to drive something nice and fast I get in the V other wise I have a dodge ram 1500 that is my D/D I work in NY city and the roads are so bad the V would not make it a week before the rims are bent and destroyed the truck handles them pretty good.

undertaker
01-02-12, 12:54 AM
Well i have my 40 mpg tdi jetta to commute with most of the time a 2500 suburban for crap weather and weekends upstate or out east.

The V and a clean C5 vette with 800 rwhp for when I want to drive silly. Of course its become interesting when its nice out....vette vs V....

needspeed
01-02-12, 01:14 PM
To each his own, but I bought my V Coupe to be my year round DD. Heck I drive my F430 all year round and I live in Iowa.

I could not stand to drive a transportation appliance if I did not have to and I am greatful that I don't.......Steve

nsaness
01-03-12, 09:46 PM
r u kidding?
I drive 135 miles per day and all New Jersey winter long too. There is no choice to make. Drive the V every day. Put snow tires (Pirelli Sottozeros) on in the winter, and love it all year long.

carterb
01-04-12, 11:26 PM
I drive mine every day, rain or shine (snow not a problem) ... to work, to the mall, in traffic, parking garages, restaurant parking, etc. Had the car about a month with 1100 miles so far. (Also drove the previous CTS everyday for 4 years and 50K miles.)

The V was filthy for awhile after several thunder storms and a couple muddy roads, just cleaned it up again, a few days ago. No problem !

taken
01-06-12, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the great replies, after reading all of Them I agree that snow tires make the most sense, and I will keep my pick up fir the real real bad snow, but at leas with snow tires I don't have to worry if I'm out with car and I get 1 inch that I'm screwed. I did think about the used suv idea but problem with that us that timed story which is very true. At least with the pick up it knows what it's trying to be. I'm not to much if a suv guy. So now where do I get thes snow tires and wheels?

Tire rack has winter tire and wheel packages. They will even mount, road force balance, and install tpms sensors before shipping.