: Merry Christmas?

SRTVIPER03
12-26-11, 05:38 PM
Christmas morning On our way to open X Mas gifts...0730...freeway virtually empty and the laser detector lights up. I see the CHP bike on the side and I immediately put my blinker on and pull to the side as he lights em up behind me. I'm as polite and respectful as possible and he proceeds to write the ticket for 86 in a 65 and a plate violation.

zx1216
12-26-11, 06:15 PM
While that sucks, you were going 21 over, lol. Maybe he was pissed he had to work on x-mass?

Houdini
12-26-11, 06:41 PM
Yeah you were speeding and got caught. I don't know a single cop that would let 21 over slide. It does suck though.

Gary Wells
12-26-11, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear, but no CHP that values his job is going to turn you loose for 21 over. They might give you a little break,but that's about it. They have also been cracking down on violations in general at all levels for about a year now. I generally set my cruise at 73 and I have observed several CHP's trying to "what looks like" sneak up on me several times recently. What speed were you doing when you cruised by him, or did he sneak up behind you without you noticing him? Signaling and pulling over to the side before he lit you up? Sounds like a guilty conscience, so yep, I'll bet that he wrote you up.

SRTVIPER03
12-26-11, 09:26 PM
Not a guilty conscience at all. No doubt speeding but the plate? Not anything on the miles? That laser is deadly when there are no other cars around.

Gary Wells
12-26-11, 09:40 PM
To me, It sounds like they are probably told to not stop anybody for a plate only violation, but if there is another violation involved, that gives them "probable cause" to ticket for the plate violation also. I do not pull over until I'm lit up. I do not know if that is a good idea or not, so I am not suggesting it to others, but that's how I play it. Just thinking out loud here.

neuronbob
12-27-11, 10:13 AM
While I would be similarly upset, we do pay to play, and the cops are just doing their job. Some are more "by the book" than others. Such is life. At least you had sense enough to do 21 over on an empty freeway.

Alpharisk
12-27-11, 10:26 AM
I've gotten three speeding tickets in my life:

1) Washington Twp, NJ: 50 in a 45 (Mustang GT)
2) Hackettstown, NJ: 30 in a 25 (Mustang GT)
3) Jacksonville, FL: 42 in a 35 (Charger SRT-8) (w/Laser, detector didn't go off and I was swerving to avoid a turtle in the road at the time)

Yup, I am a speed demon and a menace to society. But, there was one winner, my insurance went up, so at least someone got something out of it.

hlantin
12-27-11, 12:07 PM
Ah, sucks bro. As the other have said, he was probably pissed he had to work xmas...