: 09 with start up issues.

KA41
12-26-11, 03:49 PM
Ok so I purchased my wife a 09 escalade with 85k miles. I bought it from a manheim auction (I have a dealers license). When I bought it I had them to repaint the front and rear bumpers because of some unsightly scratches and scrapes and because they were a lot cheaper than what I could get done for here locally. It came out of paint booth on a Wednesday and I picked it up on Friday. I got in it and started it up and no problems. Drove it home, 500 miles, stopping a few times for gas and food, and had no problems. Got it home, parked it, got up the next morning and nothing. No interior lights, no clicking, just dead. Hooked it up to my charger, let it sit for a 15-20 min and flipped the switch on the charger to "start", tried it and it cranked up. Let it run a while, killed it, started it back up with no problems. Made sure I didn't leave anything on from the previous night. Let it sit all Christmas day, went out to start it this morning and guess what, yep, no start. However the interior lights would come on when I opened the door. Hooked up battery charger and 15 min later tried it and it started.
I need to get an inspection sticker for it and the guy at the inspection station told me that because I had jumped it off I would have to drive it normally for about 70 miles, making sure it goes through the cycles, before he can inspect it. While I was there he put it on his tester and it showed the battery and alternator functioning properly. I checked and it does have an AC Delco battery. I see no lights on the dash. Do you think it may be the battery? Anybody else have this problem?
Thanks.

MrHolland
12-26-11, 05:18 PM
I would suggest running a load test on the battery. Any Autozone type store should be able to do this. Good luck!!

What are auction prices these days on Escalades??

KA41
12-26-11, 06:07 PM
Just got back from Autozone and they told me the same thing, battery and alt looks good. Anybody else?

ridesguy
12-26-11, 07:58 PM
Battery cable and fuse on the firewall. Had mine replaced fixed the problem. There is a TSB out there for it, I had the exact same issue until it was replaced.

KA41
12-26-11, 08:20 PM
Battery cable and fuse on the firewall. Had mine replaced fixed the problem. There is a TSB out there for it, I had the exact same issue until it was replaced.

Hey did you have your battery checked out before you had the problem fixed? Just asking, if there is a problem with the battery cable and fuse, will the battery still show that it is good?

Eric Hagan
12-26-11, 09:46 PM
The battery would still show it was good if it's a fuse/cable problem. The powers not getting to the truck basically. When they usually test the battery, they do it at the battery and this might or might show up on the load test. I guess it just depends on whether the cable or fuse is making good contact.

KA41
12-26-11, 10:17 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I will have it checked out tomorrow.

hannity
12-27-11, 11:25 AM
Ok so I purchased my wife a 09 escalade with 85k miles. I bought it from a manheim auction (I have a dealers license). When I bought it I had them to repaint the front and rear bumpers because of some unsightly scratches and scrapes and because they were a lot cheaper than what I could get done for here locally. It came out of paint booth on a Wednesday and I picked it up on Friday. I got in it and started it up and no problems. Drove it home, 500 miles, stopping a few times for gas and food, and had no problems. Got it home, parked it, got up the next morning and nothing. No interior lights, no clicking, just dead. Hooked it up to my charger, let it sit for a 15-20 min and flipped the switch on the charger to "start", tried it and it cranked up. Let it run a while, killed it, started it back up with no problems. Made sure I didn't leave anything on from the previous night. Let it sit all Christmas day, went out to start it this morning and guess what, yep, no start. However the interior lights would come on when I opened the door. Hooked up battery charger and 15 min later tried it and it started.
I need to get an inspection sticker for it and the guy at the inspection station told me that because I had jumped it off I would have to drive it normally for about 70 miles, making sure it goes through the cycles, before he can inspect it. While I was there he put it on his tester and it showed the battery and alternator functioning properly. I checked and it does have an AC Delco battery. I see no lights on the dash. Do you think it may be the battery? Anybody else have this problem?
Thanks.

There is a fuse that needs to be replaced on the firewall. This was an issue with mine. I don't know where the fuse is but when I took mine in for the same problem. They told me that is what was wrong. Sounds like you have the same problem.

KA41
12-27-11, 09:58 PM
Well I took it by a dealership today (not Cadillac) at lunch to have a buddy of mine put it on the scanner to see what the issue is with the rear vision system and to also find out about the battery drain. Tried two scanners and neither one of them would work. The diagnostic port would not register. We were both in a hurry because of lunch so when I got home did some research and come to find out I had a blown cigarette lighter fuse. I didn't realize the OBDII was on the same circuit as the lighter. Why did the lighter blow a fuse? Well because somehow 4 dimes and a penny ended up in the bottom of the socket causing it to short out. So back I go tomorrow to hopefully find out some answers to some of the issues I'm having. I will keep you all posted.

killahspade
12-29-11, 10:18 AM
Have you checked the starter relay? My 07 was doing the same thing intermittenly it would try to crank but would stop short of starting. The relay is located in the fuse box in the engine bay. Locate it in the diagram have someone try to start the car while you wiggle it around.

mountaincaddy
01-10-12, 04:32 PM
I had a similar problem, dealer repaired positive battery terminal. Check/replace both.

hcvone
01-10-12, 05:25 PM
If it was my truck, and in fact just did this very thing to an 07' I picked up, changed the battery cables and got rid of the stock delco, and added the dual battery setup that we made famous now. While your battery may have checked ok, if you have a cell going bad inside it can check ok one minute and go bad the next, also check the terminals, I had one 07' that the terminal was loose inside the battery. That is some pretty high miles, I would change or get changed all the fluids, the diffs are very important because no one every changes their diff oil until the diffs need to be replaced.

KA41
01-14-12, 11:32 PM
If it was my truck, and in fact just did this very thing to an 07' I picked up, changed the battery cables and got rid of the stock delco, and added the dual battery setup that we made famous now. While your battery may have checked ok, if you have a cell going bad inside it can check ok one minute and go bad the next, also check the terminals, I had one 07' that the terminal was loose inside the battery. That is some pretty high miles, I would change or get changed all the fluids, the diffs are very important because no one every changes their diff oil until the diffs need to be replaced.

Good idea about the fluids. Also still having occasional start up issues. As long as my wife is driving it everyday it seems to be ok but I had to have the front and rear bumpers painted on it this past week and it was at the body shop 3 days so when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start. The body shop put it out around 10 am for me to pick it up and I didn't get there until 4:30 pm and it wouldn't crank. Had to have it jumped off. Not sure if they had to jump it off to move it. I'll ask them Monday. I guess the dual battery set-up is around the corner.

hcvone
01-15-12, 11:54 AM
Well I took it by a dealership today (not Cadillac) at lunch to have a buddy of mine put it on the scanner to see what the issue is with the rear vision system and to also find out about the battery drain. Tried two scanners and neither one of them would work. The diagnostic port would not register. We were both in a hurry because of lunch so when I got home did some research and come to find out I had a blown cigarette lighter fuse. I didn't realize the OBDII was on the same circuit as the lighter. Why did the lighter blow a fuse? Well because somehow 4 dimes and a penny ended up in the bottom of the socket causing it to short out. So back I go tomorrow to hopefully find out some answers to some of the issues I'm having. I will keep you all posted.

I have put our Tech II tool into the rs232 connector in many GM cars and blown fuses, not sure why it happens some times but it's not that uncommon

----------

Good idea about the fluids. Also still having occasional start up issues. As long as my wife is driving it everyday it seems to be ok but I had to have the front and rear bumpers painted on it this past week and it was at the body shop 3 days so when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start. The body shop put it out around 10 am for me to pick it up and I didn't get there until 4:30 pm and it wouldn't crank. Had to have it jumped off. Not sure if they had to jump it off to move it. I'll ask them Monday. I guess the dual battery set-up is around the corner.

One real good battery would do the trick, two for 100% peace of mind. :)

Palomar
01-17-12, 01:56 AM
Had a very similar problem with my '07. Dealer finally said it was a bad battery. Replaced it and problem is gone.

However, a new quirk has arisen in the last year. Occasionally when I turn the key to start, there is about 1 second of total silence before anything happens. The car always starts, but that delay surprises me every time. Any ideas?

hcvone
01-17-12, 07:38 AM
Had a very similar problem with my '07. Dealer finally said it was a bad battery. Replaced it and problem is gone.

However, a new quirk has arisen in the last year. Occasionally when I turn the key to start, there is about 1 second of total silence before anything happens. The car always starts, but that delay surprises me every time. Any ideas?

Not uncommon what you are seeing with anti theft systems upon startup, I have a few Euro cars and there is about a second between pushing the start button and starting, I know for that split second your mind thinks "is it going to start" but it always does

krieghoff
01-17-12, 08:19 AM

I would like someone to answer that myself!! My 2008 ESV did that once and scared the crap out of me!!

Eric Hagan
01-17-12, 08:27 AM
Ive noticed the delay on mine too. I think it's normal dueto the anti theft stuff as mentioned above ^