: 2007 EXT trailer pull

brentspatriots
12-25-11, 10:34 PM
I hooked up a auto transport from Uhaul for a road trip. I pulled a grand cherokee. So it was a bit heavy. When I had it all hooked up it made the rear of the truck ride very low. The reciever of the trailer was only an inch from the ground. When I turn the key, the compressor kicks in and jacks the suspension up a few inches. After riding an hour or so I checked up on the trailer outside and noticed the suspension fell back down. I turned the truck off and on again. It jacked up but again fell after a while.
Does anyone know why when the compressor kicks in and lifts the truck it doesnt stay up?

The compressor ran for nearly 1 minute straight in order to raise the truck with the trailer on it. Without any weight the compressor will only turn on for a few seconds.

Does anyone know why I cant keep the level of my suspension the same with the heavy load???

I also on occasion heard the air release when lifting the trailer on and off the hitch.

thanks in advance

brentspatriots
01-01-12, 11:31 AM
bumping to get an answer

krieghoff
01-01-12, 12:36 PM
I would think that you have a leak in the system. I pull an enclosed trailer that weighs 7,000# without a problem.

brentspatriots
01-01-12, 12:43 PM
I would think that you have a leak in the system. I pull an enclosed trailer that weighs 7,000# without a problem.

how long does it take for your system to lift that load?

krieghoff
01-01-12, 01:10 PM
I am guessing 15 to 30 seconds.

hcvone
01-03-12, 07:06 AM
You may have too much tonge weight, if I spelled it correctly and this could be causing your truck to sit funny when hooked up to your trailer, I tow all the time and have no issues and the truck sits level, as said it could be your leveling system (air pump) you may have a leak

M5eater
01-03-12, 08:31 AM
You may have too much tonge weight, if I spelled it correctly and this could be causing your truck to sit funny when hooked up to your trailer, I tow all the time and have no issues and the truck sits level, as said it could be your leveling system (air pump) you may have a leak

You might be right on tongue weight. I know the S4(~3700-3800lbs- very front heavy) with a Uhaul auto carrier made the trailer sit very low on the 00 5.9L durango the one time I had to tow that thing, and unless we're talking about a base 2WD WJ or earlier GC here, it weighs a couple hundred pounds more than an S4 does. Granted by that time the rear shocks/springs were 100K and 8-9 years old, but the durango's towing capacity is practicly(7300#) identical to the EXT.

I've even had to tow an old buick that was probally closer to 5,000lbs and I know for a fact that is wasen't much worse than the S4.