Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  laclover 
#1 ·
Since my last post I have begun the 500 rebuild. Anyway, when the block came back from the machine shop the machinist sent the old cam bearings and plugs he removed before baking the block. My problem is after installing the crank, pistons, cam, and timing chain i looked in his box and noticed there was six core plugs, one cam plug, 2 pipe plugs and four cup type small plugs. Now when i installed the plugs i only saw two holes where the cam sits in front of the block. Now this is killing me, where do the other two small plugs go before i go any further! :banghead: The dorman plug set i used only had three of those size plugs and three pipe type plugs i assumed went in the rear of the block and even then i only used two of those in the rear and two of those small cup in the front! Someone please end my confusion. the machinist wants me two bring the block back so he can see what i mean, which means more money! HELP

#3 ·
I did have the heads pressure tested so i put those small cup type plugs in the holes that were open (there are four around the heads i saw) they loooked to me like the plugs were to small for those as well. The plugs do look a whole lot like they fit the holes near the cam, but i will check again right now. I installed all the plugs when i first got the block, but this is my first 500 rebuild. I hope overconfidence did'nt get the best of me. I am looking at the block now and i see two screw in plugs and one cam plug in the rear, two small cups in the front behind the cam and the six core plugs on the sides. 11 plug spots is what i am counting on the bare block, am i crazy? Im ready to test this torque monster asap. Ive been taking pictures and will post them at the end. I cant wait to see what a totally rebuilt 72' 500 will do in a 85 eldorado convertible.
The dorman plug kit comes with 13 plugs total, and i had 2 left over, only one is a cup and the other is the pipe-type plug are these two xtras? :confused:

#4 ·
Why not try taking pictures of the engine to bring to the machinist along with the plugs he removed? I just dragged my 500 into the cellar for a rehab, but it's not apart yet, so I can't verify for you. The last one I did was a few years back and I can't remember what was what with it. Don't panic though, maybe they are extras, just look the engine over really good, there's only so many places they can go.

#6 ·
You know what caddy those two holes are the perfect fit. I might deserve the slowest home mechanic award for not flipping the motor over to look at the lifter valley. But at least now i can proceed, the entire bottom end plus the cam and timing chain are installed and i can put on the oil pan with confidence :bouncy: Thanks everyone i have avoided the greedy machine shop guy who really wanted to "help".
While im at it I continually read the stock cam is not as good as i should use, but i allready installed it. Does anyone have a good idea what i could do to increase comp. I did have the heads serviced, but only a basic valve job and planing deal. Since i haven't put them on yet I am open to ideas, so when i put it all together ill be pleased i took this route. :worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.