: Trans Hot Idle Engine

LiquidTrader
12-25-11, 01:22 AM
A couple of days ago I got this message ... Just got the car three weeks ago. What could it be? It's a 2005 STS. Trans Hot Idle Engine. Is it something serious? I'm going to go back to the dealer with it next week. What should I tell them to look into for this?

Thank you

ddalder
12-25-11, 02:06 AM
What were the weather conditions at the time? How hard had you been driving it? Were you towing or climing steep hills? Have you checked the fluid level, color, smell?

This message comes on when the transmission fluid exceeds a pre-determined temperature. It might be the result of many different factors.

The message means you should stop driving and let the car idle until the fluid temperature cools down.

LiquidTrader
12-25-11, 02:52 AM
The temperature was about 30 degrees. No towing or steep hills. I was on the highway mostly and accelerating a bit fast at times. I have not checked the transmission fluid. I'm not really a car guy that knows about trans fluid and what to check for when I am checking it.

But I did notice the RPMs staying in the 3k range and when I would let off the accelerator... I felt the force of it slowing down.

EChas3
12-25-11, 09:52 PM
Trans fluid check requires a lift. See your dealer or independant shop with STS experience.

ddalder
12-26-11, 11:30 PM
How fast were you driving? It almost sounds like your transmission wasn't in a high enough gear (based on your description). What engine do you have? Do you know the RPO code for your transmission option (MV3, M22, M82, etc)?

LiquidTrader
01-04-12, 08:23 PM
Bump

ddalder
01-04-12, 09:38 PM
Bump
So the million dollar question is... did you take it to the dealer? There could be any one of a hundred things going on and until this is investigated properly I don't think you're going to get the answer you're looking for. Tell them what the message was and they'll know where to start. There are some fundamental checks that need to be made before you can take an educated guess at this.