: STS Design (Flaw?).

JOENH
11-07-04, 10:05 PM
Starting to see a few 05 STS's on the road locally. Overall a great looking car. Only view of the car I don't like is a direct side view. The car wheelbase to me appears to be the culprit. It "looks" too long! Granted they are trying to get more rear seat legroom but at what expense. What is the turning radius? My 99 Seville needs a football field to turn around in. Don't get me wrong! My Seville is the best car I have ever owned! Just an observation!

Night Wolf
11-07-04, 10:54 PM
My 99 Seville needs a football field to turn around in.

I take it you have never drove... or rode in a '69 International pick up?

nothign wrong with long wheel base, it makes for a better ride... if you want a small car, get a CTS.... IMO trying to maximize interrior room while keep a short wheel base... pushing the wheels to the furthers corners... just looks very, very bad IMO.......

maccaughelty
11-07-04, 10:54 PM
They have cut off most of the trunk too. Starting to look like a d_nm avalon or something. Just doesn't look right to me.

Geno Castellano
11-07-04, 11:13 PM
Typically the turning radius is one of the complaint items with a transverse FWD car like the STS prior to 2005. Putting the engine transversely with the transaxle in the engine compartment takes up a fair amount of real estate which dictates the inside dimensions of the wheel wells and thus how sharply the front wheels can turn.

There are lots of advantages to the TFWD arrangement, but, like all designs, there are also negatives. The (increased) turning radius is one of them.

If you'd like a surprise drive a current generation Trailblazer. Amazingly tight turning radius. With the RWD arrangement and the inline 6 Vortec engine allowing a relatively narrow engine compartment it has lots of room for the wheels to turn. It will make an amazingly sharp turn.

A sharper turning radius was one of the goals for the new RWD STS as a tight turning radius is very important in Europe for parking in tight parking spaces. That's one of the complaints of American cars in Europe so the new STS is designed with that in mind.

JOENH
11-08-04, 03:27 PM
Answered my own question. 05 is 4 inches shorter than my 99 Seville; with a wheelbase 4 inches longer. Turning radius is 5 ft (Diameter) tighter. Still don't like the longer wheelbase (albeit more rear leg room). This may also be the reason why we have lost 2 additional cubic feet of trunk space. (Two sets of golf clubs and luggage is really tight!). When I looked at a Bimmer 5 Series I couldn't believe how small the trunk was. Same for full size Jag's. I can't ever picture myself in a Deville.

Crozier
11-09-04, 11:51 PM
Starting to see a few 05 STS's on the road locally. Overall a great looking car. Only view of the car I don't like is a direct side view. The car wheelbase to me appears to be the culprit. It "looks" too long! Granted they are trying to get more rear seat legroom but at what expense. What is the turning radius? My 99 Seville needs a football field to turn around in. Don't get me wrong! My Seville is the best car I have ever owned! Just an observation!

Side view bad? What are you smoking???? It's GORGEOUS!!

harryctsv
11-10-04, 05:49 AM
Hi Crozier,

the side-view of the new STS is great!

Itīs the best design for a sedan wha cadillac ever had.

About two more months īll get mine here in germany.

Harry

Crozier
11-10-04, 12:41 PM
Harry,

I bet that will be a lot of fun, rolling around in a fine peice of american iron over there in germany. It will probably seem like an exotic over there!
I read an article about Jay Leno bringing a corvette over there and driving it for a few weeks. He said that everyone would break their necks to stare at it until they saw Jay looking back at them, then they'd quickly look away, as to not give too much credit to something as 'lowly' as an american vehicle.

Rauf
11-11-04, 11:03 AM
The new STS will be available in Europe in spring 2005.
For more details visit:
www.cadillaceurope.com (http://www.cadillaceurope.com)

JOENH
11-11-04, 11:28 AM
Hey guys don't take it personal! I love the new STS! For whatever reason, the real life observation doesn't look like the photo to me.

Rauf
11-11-04, 07:47 PM
For whatever reason, the real life observation doesn't look like the photo to me.
The real life photo:

Devil_concours
11-14-04, 10:06 PM
There is one design flaw in STS.
REAR of the STS looks too much like deville and it just doesn't go well together. You may have realized it already but in most commercials, you rarely see the rear of the car.

tdogg5184
11-15-04, 04:01 PM
The problem with the real life STS in that picture is those rims it makes the profile of the car entirly different. That car is either dirty or has bad lighting. The Cadillac picture it has tinted windows and awesome lighting. I still think that the STS looks great and is balanced. I have gotten used to the rear after i took a look at one up close. The decklid led third brake light is bigger and the STS has a crease in the middle.

Sandy
11-15-04, 08:47 PM
Why is the rear end so darn high, or jacked up looking, while the front end is kissing the earth? It looks like it's going down a steep hill ! I am not fond of it. I prefer the looks of a 2004 Seville. The STS needs to have a party and invite the rear body down to meet the springs :D

Jesda
11-17-04, 06:35 AM
The low nose, tall tail is what forms a sweeping beltline, which gives an impression of performance and aerodynamic design. I think a chrome line across the side somewhere might help reduce visual height.