: Clunking noise when reversing to the right.

acedking90
12-23-11, 12:46 PM
Alright guys, Its a 2011 White Diamond CTS-V Couple. Bought it new, have about 7800 miles on it. I have brought the car in to the dealer 3 times and they say they cannot duplicate this noise/problem. I have no idea what to do, but I know its an issue.

Problem: When I put the car in reverse (only) and turn the wheel fully to the right and back out I hear a clunking noise coming from the front driver tire. This noise only happens when the car is in reverse and the steering wheel is full lock to the right. It isn't the infamous tire clicking, its a solid clunk, as if the axle or something is broken/dislodged. Im scared it will be a serious problem when I am corner carving.

A couple notes: This only happens when the car is cold and hasn't been started for 2hrs+. I had this driver front wheel go flat and had it replaced at the dealer. This and the wheel clicking noise (dealer fixed by cleaning the wheels/brakes) are the only issues.

Any ideas? I did a search.

flyingv
12-23-11, 01:06 PM
I have a 2009 sedan that makes the exact same noise. I had it up on the hoist yesterday to check for any rubbing or interference between the tire and the sway bar or inner fender and couldn't find any issues. I figured it was from the lowering springs or larger sway bars. I also checked the torque on all the suspension pieces. Everything was perfectly fine.

It's possible that it is related to the wheel clicking issue, maybe the wheel is under so much lateral force that the wheel actually slips slightly against the surface of the rotor, causing the noise (sounds like a pop, I thought I punctured my tire the first time I heard it)

I'm curious as to anyone's ideas as well.
Thanks

NROTIK
12-23-11, 06:41 PM
Could just be the ps2's.. Mine does it when they are cold.. My winter tires don't do it..

Trapspeed
12-23-11, 10:52 PM
Guys, for what it's worth servicing the rear diff solved this for me. Apparently there was an issue with too little additive in the case. The dealership was familiar and took care of it. Give that a look.

lawfive
12-24-11, 04:05 PM
I get that too. 2011 sedan.

Wannago
12-24-11, 04:27 PM
It is normal and has been discussed several times before:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/217916-2010-cts-v-front-wheel-binding.html

Cub Cadet wrote: It is the geometry of the front end. In the cold, the tire does not give and "scrubs" the ground in a tight turn. It is a normal occurrence. There is nothing hitting and there is nothing wrong with your car. It is unsettling the first time ans is something you have to live with. However, this geometry creates a much more pleasant driving experience through the curves. I will sacrifice a little bit of scrub on a cold day/tight turn for that fun.

SRTVIPER03
12-24-11, 10:39 PM
If you are worried in reverse at a crawl imagine what it feels like in a race car at 150 as you push towards the wall!

marktanner
12-25-11, 11:16 AM
I used to have this problem. First saw with my '08 CTS with FE3 that had PS2s, then again in my '09 V, but even worse. It's the tires skipping on the pavement when the tires and pavement are very cold. My cure happened when I switched to Continental DWs. It has not happened at all since then, even in freezing temps, and I have over 5000 miles on them now. I found that the problem got considerably worse as my original PS2s wore. That sad, it's really a quirk as opposed to a real problem, though it does sound scary when it happens. I don't miss this issue at all, though, now that it's gone.

darkwingfrog
12-26-11, 06:39 AM
I had the same issue on worn PS2's. I just put a set of Hankooks on last week and the problem is solved.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-26-11, 01:00 PM
flyingv,
Have you ever had your rear diff fluid checked/changed? If you need help setting up an appointment please don't hesitate to ask.

Cadillac Customer Service,
Justin

acedking90
12-26-11, 09:49 PM
okay guys, so I left my car out in 20degree weather for about 8 hours, got in it and the noise was the worse its been. I mean, it was LOUD clunking.

My friend was watching and he said:

It looks like the wheel is being separated from the hub. If I had to guess your right wheel is turning more than the left and to make up the difference the car is dragging the left wheel and its momentarily pulled from the hub.

Basically, he could clearly observe the wheel shaking for a quick second.

Here is a vid, you can hear the sound, but cant see the wheel shaking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3VgzfP77sQ&context=C31f516eADOEgsToPDskIpm_l8y3clA3HNJHhZhP1D

MrMaschine
12-27-11, 09:06 AM
guys I have been hearing a similar noise and can not find any loose or worn areas. If my car is cold and i start it up in the morning and grab the steering wheel i hear a clunk left and right coming from the front as if something in the rack and pinion is loose. once
the car warms up it seems to be less noticeable/

Wannago
12-27-11, 10:52 AM
guys I have been hearing a similar noise and can not find any loose or worn areas. If my car is cold and i start it up in the morning and grab the steering wheel i hear a clunk left and right coming from the front as if something in the rack and pinion is loose. once
the car warms up it seems to be less noticeable/

I experienced the same sorta thing after having an alignement done. Dealership fixed it - said it was a rubber boot in the steering column that was binding against itself. They cleaned it and lubed it, and that solved the problem. I was a bit suspect, as it felt more mechanical than that, but that was about 3 months ago, and so far - so good.

Nutz
12-27-11, 12:29 PM
There are two discussions going on here. To the OP, the rear sound you are hearing also happens to me, it's a combination of cold lube and dry clutches snapping in the diff, my car does it too ONCE in awhile ONLY when cold turning right backing out of my driveway. The sound is more pronounced due to the diffs large cast iron rear support mounting right to the floor.

The second discussion is loosely known here as "Gator-footin" (as seen in the above video), the PS2's have a unique progressive tread design, the PS2 has a hard rubber center tread (to help normal driving durability) and a soft rubber shoulder area (to help good grip in corners), in noticeably cold weather the soft shoulder of your SUMMER tires gets cold and skips when at full lock especially on cold cement. Remember the weight you are carrying and the increased turning lock that these cars offer.

The Gator-footin mention shows up here on the forum every cold season.
Both issues never seem to be a problem resulting in failure that I have seen here, just a nuisance.

ctsvchicago
01-01-12, 03:25 PM
I have the same issue and it was answered here as well it's the PS2's the tires do that it started when it was getting cold outside dealers checked it and confirmed it as well not an issue.

acedking90
01-01-12, 05:27 PM
Okay, just got the car back from the dealer after the 4th visit. (BTW, Herb Chambers Cadillac of Danvers, MA is AWESOME SERVICE DEPT!) They were able to duplicate the clunking noise and told refereed me to Cadillac Bulletin #PIC4986C.

In a nutshell, the Bulliten says:

Customer may comment that they feel a bind condition when the car is in reverse, or driving forward and the steering wheel is turned to the full-lock position. The condition may be described as similar to driving a 4WD truck with the front hubs locked. The condition may thought of as being caused by excessive tightness in the limited slip differential. It is more noticeable on wet surfaces an in vehicles with the FE3 and FE4 suspension.s The tire used with the FE1 suspension has a taller sidewall and does not exhibit the "stick-slip" condition.

Recommendation/Instructions: Do not attempt any repairs for this condition, this is a normal characteristic.

Case closed!

P.S. While the car was at the dealer for 5 days they gave me a BRAND SPANKING NEW 2012 SRX. Wow that car is awesome, I def. wanna buy one for the girl.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-02-12, 08:26 AM
Acedking90,
I am glad that you were satisfied with your visit to Herb Chambers. It is good feeling when you can get things taken care of. Enjoy your ride!
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service