: Another 2000+ head gasket failure

bigtone
12-23-11, 11:33 AM
Got a call from my son the other night that his 2001 Deville overheated. Classic HG symptoms, overheated going up a large hill. No obvious leaks except out the overflow. Sloshing noises from the dash like air in the system. Temp normal on flat road. Purge line is clear. Did the block test, turned p**s yellow. Plan on troubleshooting a bit more, but I know where this is headed. HG time again....

Submariner409
12-23-11, 04:25 PM
Bummer. Not good news for y'all or anyone. "HG time again " - Has this engine been done before ?? If Jake is still behind on shipping his stud inventory, look at Norm's Inserts (www.huhnsolutions.com) and new GM or ARP head bolts.

bigtone
12-23-11, 05:55 PM
Not on this car, at least that I am aware of. This is my second time. I did a '98 Deville that i used to own 3 years ago. I used timeserts with that one. Last I heard it was still running great. Right now I'm thinking of using timeserts again. I sold my kit, I have to buy another one. I know the kit is slightly different for the 2001, due to the headbolts anyway. I can understand how the studs can be an improvement, but I'll probably do it in the car again.

ThumperPup
12-23-11, 06:48 PM
If you are not gona go with studs and feel cofterible using insirts then atleast go with the Norm Sirt not the TimeSirt
just give yourself a little more good feeling by going one step up

bigtone
12-24-11, 02:29 PM
I am looking into the Norm's right now. The big issue for me is the lack of a good drill guide, I really liked the guide with the timeserts, when I used them. Reading through the archives here, I can see where Norm's may be a better choice for the pre 2000 blocks, but this is a 2001 with 160k on it. My gut feeling is that it may be just a gasket failure and not a bolt thread issue. Either way, of course, I will still insert the block.

maeng9981
12-24-11, 03:41 PM
Jake said he's shipping stud kits again and catching up in order - I think in a few days he will be able to ship orders placed now. Definitely talk to Jake, the SureGrip kit comes with tooling that you will need and the jig combo.

bigtone
01-24-12, 08:44 PM
Here I go again.... Anyone have the part number for the cylinder alignment dowels?

Ranger
01-24-12, 11:23 PM
22352 (#234 in the list below)

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?modelYear=2000&model=Deville&make=Cadillac&catalogCode=66O&subModel=Base%20Model&modelCode=6KD69&seriesCode=6KD&bodyStyleCode=69&engineCode=LD8&transCode=MH1&majorIndexID=00&isBigPicture=False&ddlSm=Base%20Model&minorIndexID=6M00050101

bigtone
01-25-12, 04:10 PM
Thanks Ranger

vincentm
01-25-12, 04:49 PM
Damn with the engine in the car, brave man! I assume you don't plan on cursing and have a lot of patience.

RippyPartsDept
01-25-12, 05:07 PM
Not sure, but we use a dowel insert from TimeFastener (where we get the bigserts)

bigtone
01-25-12, 08:42 PM
Damn with the engine in the car, brave man! I assume you don't plan on cursing and have a lot of patience.

I have done it before on a 98 Deville I used to own. I gave my son my car to use, I'm driving my truck now. So I have the Luxury of being able to walk away for awhile when I get aggravated.

----------[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Not sure, but we use a dowel insert from TimeFastener (where we get the bigserts)

Thanks Chris, I think the bigserts require special dowels. I'm using Norm's, which use the stock dowels (from what I was told).

RippyPartsDept
01-26-12, 01:21 AM
I think we still have to stretch the timesert dowels a bit. But good luck w your repair.

bigtone
01-30-12, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I'm installing the Norm's inserts now.

bigtone
02-09-12, 08:42 PM
Norm's inserts installed, getting ready to install the heads.

Ranger
02-09-12, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by vincentm

Originally Posted By bigtone

I have done it before on a 98 Deville I used to own.
My hero! :bows:

maeng9981
02-10-12, 05:56 AM
So that's how inserts are installed.... first time to see a picture.

It's impressive you are doing this with the engine still in the car.

bigtone
02-20-12, 12:31 PM
Well, job complete. Took it out for a few test drives, including a large hill (twice). Temp gauge stayed right in the middle. No leaks or odd noises. Really like these Norm's inserts. I remember doing my other HG job 3 years ago, thinking that the timeserts did not seem much better than what was there to begin with. The Norm's inserts are very beefy. Had to buy a shorter drill bit to drill with the engine in car, but with the Norm's guide, drilling was a breeze. About halfway thru it dawned on me to use my pneumatic rachet to drive the tap.

This was my son's car with 160k miles. My 01 Deville has 130K. I know I said this 3 years ago, but I REALLY hope I never have to do this job again.....

Submariner409
02-20-12, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you saved the car.

98eldo32v
02-20-12, 01:35 PM
Why Bigtone,

You're getting good at them now...........

bigtone
02-21-12, 06:42 PM
Why Bigtone,

You're getting good at them now...........

You know, I've done projects before that took awhile like restoring musclecars back in the 80's, and more recently built a few custom motorcycles, but at least I hope I won't have to do another one of these right away.

98eldo32v
02-21-12, 06:53 PM
Bigtone,

The more Northstars you repair, the "medals" you earn. Just think you're on the way to General!!

vincentm
02-21-12, 09:10 PM
Bigtone,

The more Northstars you repair, the "medals" you earn. Just think you're on the way to General!!

But for doing them in car he gets promoted to commander!

tateos
02-22-12, 12:11 AM
I know you're opposed, but I STILL say try dropping the cradle next time! LOL

bigtone
02-22-12, 08:55 PM
I know you're opposed, but I STILL say try dropping the cradle next time! LOL

Doing it my method in the car, I do not remove the crossover as some guys do. I do not remove the balancer. I do not have to evacuate the ac,remove any of the wiring other then disconnecting the injectors and some other components, or remove the steering or brake calipers. I left the radiator and fans in place also. Granted, dropping the engine does give more access, but the majority of the work involves disasembling the engine itself. If these were pushrod engines the job would be much easier. In my opinion, the added difficulty of engine access is offset by the extra work involved in lowering the cradle. Everything is accessable with the engine in the car. Sometimes you need to be creative, but every bolt can be accessed. In my particular situation, Also, I do not believe I have the room in my 2 car garage to drop the cradle. I have one stall for work, and 2 motorcycles, bike lift, and tables and workbenches serve as a laydown area for all the parts removed in the other stall.
Again, I'm hoping there is no next time.