: 2005 STS V8 - Mods

LiquidTrader
12-22-11, 10:29 PM
Hello,

New to the board. I'm looking to add some Mods to my 2005 STS. More on the interior side. Anyone know where to get some nice headrest DVD screens? Black interior.

Also, what is that Audio, Video inputs in the center console used for? Anything cool?

Is it possible to add in a rear view cam? I was looking into the wireless that go around the license plate.

I was told I have to upgrade my OnStar to digit. Is this an actual change of the rear view mirror or the antenna or both? They said its $15 at any GM dealer.

I remember reading a post about someone pushing some buttons, and were able to watch DVDs while in motion. Is that possible with year and model? Or do I need one of those Lockout modules?

I was looking to add some nice black rims ... Anywhere know a good place for them? My exterior is dark gray.

It seems that the door Bose speakers are blown as I don't hear anything coming from them. Anyone know where I can get inexpensive replacements?

Anyone know an effective cleaner to wash up the carpets?

I am looking to replace the wood trim just around the Nav, etc. Anyone know where I can find just that piece? Maybe a carbon fiber one? Or even the same trim.

For some reason, when I put in the right amount of air in the tires the TPM goes away but after driving a bit it comes back. Is it because of the cold or a bad TPM? It seems to always show the RF has 17 psi or something low when it really does not. Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance. I figured I'd ask all in one shot. LOL

MacMuse
12-22-11, 10:46 PM
welcome aboard! Enjoy the new-to-you car.

I use the console A/V inputs for my iPod/iPhone/iPad. The video, of course, is only visible on the Nav screen (AUX mode, Video option) when the car is in Park. Unless you have one of those magic buttons you mentioned - part of a Lockpick system.

LiquidTrader
12-22-11, 11:05 PM
You can actually see the iPad screen in park if you plug it in the A/V inputs?

ddalder
12-22-11, 11:52 PM
As for the OnStar upgrade, this is from the GM bulletin...

"The 2005 Cadillac STS kit may include a new inside rearview (ISRV) mirror assembly and a new ISRV mirror wiring cover. If the kit you receive includes these parts, please remove the existing ISRV mirror and wire cover from the vehicle and install the ones provided in the kit per the instructions in SI."

So this will likely depend specifically on your VIN. As for the $15, I know this was the upgrade price. I don't know if it still is but in any case, this only applied with the purchase of a minimum one year subscription (to any OnStar plan). I've already been through this upgrade process with one of my cars. Not painful, but you'll have to wait for them to order the kit. It will not be a stock item as they have to apply it against a specific vehicle.

As for the front door speakers, these are powered and each has its own amp. You may want to try some other troubleshooting first. They are protected by the same fuse as each respective front door module so if door functions are working, it won't be a blown fuse.

nathanjax
12-22-11, 11:54 PM
Is it possible to add in a rear view cam? I was looking into the wireless that go around the license plate.

Not to the factory screen, no.

I was told I have to upgrade my OnStar to digit. Is this an actual change of the rear view mirror or the antenna or both? They said its $15 at any GM dealer.

All they do is replace your onstar box with a digital onstar box. last i heard, the dealer would do it for free if you prepaid for a 1 year contract with onstar

I remember reading a post about someone pushing some buttons, and were able to watch DVDs while in motion. Is that possible with year and model? Or do I need one of those Lockout modules?

You would need a lockpick, if tomm is still making them. Search "lockpick" and you'll find all the threads about it. Tomm has to make them for the 05-07 because it's different then the 08 and up

It seems that the door Bose speakers are blown as I don't hear anything coming from them. Anyone know where I can get inexpensive replacements?

eBay. Get OEM Bose replacements unless your wanting to copmletely redo the stereo system (i.e. all new wires, new speakers, ne headunit)

Anyone know an effective cleaner to wash up the carpets?

http://www.adamspolishes.com/ specifically http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-adams-leather-interior-cleaner.aspx

I am looking to replace the wood trim just around the Nav, etc. Anyone know where I can find just that piece? Maybe a carbon fiber one? Or even the same trim.

eBay. But it matches your doors and even the pass side dash, so you might want to rethink that

Yes, you don't have to be in "park" you just can't be moving more than a couple miles per hour. So it would work at a stoplight.

EChas3
12-23-11, 12:17 AM
I've heard of people using the video input for a rear camera but you'll want a Lockpick. (My opinion, anyway.)

If the speakers are bad, there used to be a couple of places that would rebuild them for about half the used price. New Bose drivers are very expensive for what they are. Unfortunaterly, you have few options because you can't usually mix & match an aftermarket component in a Bose system.

LiquidTrader
12-23-11, 01:19 AM
Not to the factory screen, no.

All they do is replace your onstar box with a digital onstar box. last i heard, the dealer would do it for free if you prepaid for a 1 year contract with onstar

You would need a lockpick, if tomm is still making them. Search "lockpick" and you'll find all the threads about it. Tomm has to make them for the 05-07 because it's different then the 08 and up

eBay. Get OEM Bose replacements unless your wanting to copmletely redo the stereo system (i.e. all new wires, new speakers, ne headunit)

http://www.adamspolishes.com/ specifically http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-adams-leather-interior-cleaner.aspx

eBay. But it matches your doors and even the pass side dash, so you might want to rethink that

Yes, you don't have to be in "park" you just can't be moving more than a couple miles per hour. So it would work at a stoplight.

I meant for the carpet... But that looks like a great for the leather.

nathanjax
12-23-11, 01:27 AM
I meant for the carpet... But that looks like a great for the leather.

Sorry, wrong item...

Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-35-adams-carpet-upholstery-cleaner.aspx

Dilute 50/50 with distilled water on a test spot as per the instructions. You can go full strength, but it so good, it could pull the color from the carpet.

MacMuse
12-23-11, 02:12 AM

A qualified yes.

Original iPad and any iPods you just get movie output. iPhone 4s and I believe iPad 2 support mirroring so you can get the whole screen.