: "Flash to pass"...can it be made 'faster'?

mckellyb
12-21-11, 01:23 PM
I noticed, when signaling to let someone in, when you pull the flash-to-pass high beam switch and let go quickly, the lights stay on for about a second. Is there a way to do a couple of quick flashes in rapid sequence, or is this some computer-related bit which can't be modified (without major work)?

FWIW, on German cars, this used to be known as the 'optical horn'.

:-)

ddalder
12-21-11, 08:25 PM
The flash to pass functions by way of the switch grounding an input in the Instrument Panel Module (IPM). The IPM then activates the high beam relay until the driver releases the lever. There won't be any way you can change this without re-engineering the module, re-writing the software or rewiring the headlamp circuit. The delay will be with the IPM. My Bonneville is virtually instantaneous. I don't understand why the problem with the STS. My '08 has the same delay as your car.

AllWheelEric
12-21-11, 09:57 PM
I agree that the flash-to-pass feature is a little annoying. Somehow a .25 second flick or two seems friendly but a 2.5 second flash seems rude.

dkozloski
12-22-11, 01:57 AM
I believe it has something to do with not blowing up your HID headlamps.

nathanjax
12-22-11, 02:09 AM
I believe it has something to do with not blowing up your HID headlamps.

But the flash to pass uses hi beams which are halogen and have nothing to do with the headlight HIDs

But I agree. Nothing can be done about speeding them up

mckellyb
12-22-11, 06:48 AM
I agree that the flash-to-pass feature is a little annoying. Somehow a .25 second flick or two seems friendly but a 2.5 second flash seems rude.

Exactly!

eatyoursandwich
02-06-12, 05:07 PM
But the flash to pass uses hi beams which are halogen and have nothing to do with the headlight HIDs

But I agree. Nothing can be done about speeding them up

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. How can the OEM HID bulbs be D1S, but the high-beams are halogens? I've never heard of a car that uses a halogen bulb in a projector housing.

kschwed
02-06-12, 05:44 PM
Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. How can the OEM HID bulbs be D1S, but the high-beams are halogens? I've never heard of a car that uses a halogen bulb in a projector housing.

This is true. In fact, I just replaced the low beam in my Dad's navigator (which is HID) and I noticed his high-beams are halogen. The high beams are probably done for this reason specifically, so the flash to pass doesn't blow up the HID's. Usually high-beams are not on for a long period of time. These quick cycles are bad for your ballast/HID.

1BadCadSTS
02-06-12, 06:30 PM
All dual beam Cadillacs that have HIDs have Halogen Highbeams. If all projectors indicated HIDs then why does the foglamp on N/A STSs have a projector and no HID or the Headlamp on 98-00 Seville STS (98-04 SLS)

ddalder
02-06-12, 09:37 PM
Interestingly, my mom has a 2008 Buick Enclave CXL and both high and low beams are HID. The difference is when you activate them, you'll hear a clicking in the headlamp assembly. This appears to be some sort of shutter control, as opposed to turning on another lamp.

mckellyb
02-06-12, 10:16 PM

Halogens in projector housings have been common since the late-90's.

eatyoursandwich
02-07-12, 11:33 AM
Halogens in projector housings have been common since the late-90's.

This is the first American car I've had so I guess I have some learning to do. Used to owning/working with Euros which most newer models use bi-xenon headlights which uses one bulb for both the high- and low-beams.

I guess now that that is established, I want to replace my low beams with 5000k D1S bulbs. So I can match the lights as best as possible, what size are the high-beams? H11? OEM HID headlights.

TIA

nathanjax
02-07-12, 12:22 PM

Your fogs are the same way... Halogen in a projector. A lot of new Kia's and Hyundia's are coming that way too...

ddalder
02-07-12, 11:15 PM
I guess now that that is established, I want to replace my low beams with 5000k D1S bulbs. So I can match the lights as best as possible, what size are the high-beams? H11? OEM HID headlights.
My dealer just supplied me with new bulbs and the high beams are 9005LL (yes, I do have OEM HID low beams). If I'm not mistaken, the H11 will have a different connector. My Bonneville has a factory HIR-1 bulb which shares the same connector as an H11. It is keyed differently than the standard 9005's.

eatyoursandwich
02-08-12, 10:37 AM
My dealer just supplied me with new bulbs and the high beams are 9005LL (yes, I do have OEM HID low beams). If I'm not mistaken, the H11 will have a different connector. My Bonneville has a factory HIR-1 bulb which shares the same connector as an H11. It is keyed differently than the standard 9005's.

Thanks again! Took it apart last night and compared the connector to an H11 I had in the garage. You can modify the H11 to fit, but for the high-beams, which are going to be used pretty rarely, I'll stick with some clear 9005LL. Trying to find the best quality 9005LL at the moment. Re-enforced cold filament for durability/lifespan.

ddalder
02-08-12, 11:25 PM
As you mention, it is often possible to "adjust" the keying on the bulb. I have installed the HIR-2 bulb on my Bonneville in place of the 9006. Nissan uses this bulb as a low beam in some of their cars. I wanted it to be a little closer to the OE HIR-1 used as my high beam. Of course before I did this, I did verify element orientation, element distance from base etc, so that I could be sure it would work properly with the optics GM designed into the headlamp assembly.

I definitely don't recommend SilverStar bulbs if you want long life. I like the bulb, and the light output, but every vehicle I've ever installed them in seems to eat through them fairly quickly.

KRSTS
02-09-12, 01:05 PM
As you mention, it is often possible to "adjust" the keying on the bulb. I have installed the HIR-2 bulb on my Bonneville in place of the 9006. Nissan uses this bulb as a low beam in some of their cars. I wanted it to be a little closer to the OE HIR-1 used as my high beam. Of course before I did this, I did verify element orientation, element distance from base etc, so that I could be sure it would work properly with the optics GM designed into the headlamp assembly.

I definitely don't recommend SilverStar bulbs if you want long life. I like the bulb, and the light output, but every vehicle I've ever installed them in seems to eat through them fairly quickly.

Echo the comment about silverstar. I had one fail in my fogs after 2 months.

eatyoursandwich
02-09-12, 04:32 PM
DDMtuning.com has H3's with lifetime warranties. Been using these on my Audi's and BMW's for years and only had 1 go out, 3 years after I bought it. Replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

Not sure if overall, they are the best quality, but they stand by their lifetime warranty.

cadillacmike68
02-12-12, 01:44 PM
The STS has an intellibeam - aka auto dimming of the high beams, this probably accounts for the delay in shutting them off. Try shutting off the intellibeam with the far left mirror button.

My wife's CTS has projectors for her high beams, while my STS has normal looking high beam lenses.