: 2007 Escalade EXT vs 2007 Avalanche

surge21
12-21-11, 11:49 AM
Hey guys this is my first post and I was just wanting to get some input from some Escalade owners. I was in the market for an 07-08 Avalanche with around 40-50k miles for a budget of around 21K and I've found quite a few trucks that meet that requirement. As I was about to go make a trip to go check some of these out, I was talking to my boss, who also has an Avalanche to ask about how reliable his has been and what he thinks of it. Caveat- This is my first truck/suv purchase and I've been driving mostly Japanese sedans (Currently have an 04 Acura TL). He said he bought his Avalanche brand new in 2007 and in 3 years put 170K on it (very heavy driving) and other than regular oil changes and whatnot it ran like a champ...he just traded it in and bought a brand new one. Then out of the blue, he asked me if I wanted an Escalade EXT. I loved these but knew they were more than I could spend so I asked him if he knew of one in my price range and he said one of the clients we sell to (I work at a Wholesale Wheel/Tire Company) owes us a significant amount of money and that for about $20k I could buy that guys 07 Escalade EXT. It's red, fully loaded with every option and looks great (it's about a 7 hour drive from here but he showed me a few pictures and it looks like its in good condition). He said that Cadillac put in a new engine about 8k miles ago and the car is currently sitting at 105K miles. I called up the Cadillac Owners hotline and they confirmed that the new engine and all regularly scheduled maintenance was done at an actual Cadillac dealership and that the car has had regular service records and looks well maintained. I ran the autocheck on there and it came back clean as well. The guy is selling this car for 30K on his lot right now. My question to you guys is do you think it's worth buying this car with this many miles on it? Like I said this is my first foray into American vehicles...I've heard both good and bad things about the longevity and reliability of these trucks. It has every option on it...climate package, convenience package, etc. and I think it's a good deal, but who better to ask than the owners themselves? I appreciate whatever input you can provide. Thanks!

quattrotman
12-21-11, 03:25 PM
It's pretty much the same truck but the caddy has a whole bunch of extras. That's why I bought an EXT. I needed a light duty pick up but didn't want to drive one so the EXT fit in perfect. It has more power than the avalanche and better ride. Also, much better interior. If it's within your budget, I would say the EXT is a no brainer. New motor > bonus! These trucks will run a lot of miles anyways and they are pretty reliable. I'm not a huge fan of some of the cheap materials and how much they cost new, but used, they are a fantastic truck IMO.

BMANN06
12-21-11, 03:40 PM
Last time I went looking the Caddy was AWD all the time :cookoo: .... I'll select what my transfer case is doing thanks!! Avy all the way!!!

quattrotman
12-21-11, 05:15 PM
Last time I went looking the Caddy was AWD all the time :cookoo: .... I'll select what my transfer case is doing thanks!! Avy all the way!!!

Full time AWD is a nice feature and something I appreciate where I live. Don't care about the minuscule gas savings of switching to RWD. Other than that, Avy interior is pretty hurting IMO.

surge21
12-21-11, 05:29 PM
Ahh man the EXT is gone. Ah well. Thank you guys for your input!

MrHolland
12-21-11, 05:35 PM
This is a Cadillac forum, most people in here including myself will probably recommend the EXT. Even if everything else is equal, at least you could make reference to your Cadillac if you purchase the EXT!!:cool2:

BMANN06
12-21-11, 05:56 PM
Full time AWD is a nice feature and something I appreciate where I live. Don't care about the minuscule gas savings of switching to RWD. Other than that, Avy interior is pretty hurting IMO.

I dont think either of us where thinking gas mileage when making the purchase of our rigs. And the fuel savings from 2hi vs auto are minor. I just like knowing im in 4hi or 4lo and dont like the auto or awd option. As per interior in avy when u get a decent trim level it isnt that much different ext. im not dissing your ext they are nice. I just dont understand why the only option other than 2wd is the awd non selectable on the ext. The op wanted opinions so i gave him mine. I live up in canada and having 4wheel high locked in is a major advantage to awd when climbing icy hills etc.

hcvone
12-21-11, 06:57 PM
I dont think either of us where thinking gas mileage when making the purchase of our rigs. And the fuel savings from 2hi vs auto are minor. I just like knowing im in 4hi or 4lo and dont like the auto or awd option. As per interior in avy when u get a decent trim level it isnt that much different ext. im not dissing your ext they are nice. I just dont understand why the only option other than 2wd is the awd non selectable on the ext. The op wanted opinions so i gave him mine. I live up in canada and having 4wheel high locked in is a major advantage to awd when climbing icy hills etc.

I live in upstate NY and many times run chains on all 4 wheels because of feet of snow, had 6 Suburban's with 4 wheel drive before switching to Escalade's with all wheel drive, there is no difference in the snow, it all comes down to the correct off road tires, you don't use low range for the snow so having a shiftable transfer case in the snow is useless. The biggest difference is the engine, for me the 6.2 is too small.

BMANN06
12-21-11, 08:31 PM
I'm not going to get into a chevy vs. cadillac debate on a cadillac forum. For the fact that this is a cadillac forum (I'm going to lose as there is an abundance of cadillac supporters ... myself included)

The original poster had asked for forum member input as he was in the process of deciding between the AVY and EXT. I wanted to advise that with the EXT he will lose the "Auto4HI/2HI/4HI/4LO" option and have AWD all the time, . I have been looking to buy and test driving the new Avalanche (my avy is an 02' with 260,000KMs), trust me I would buy the EXT if I had the transfer case options, I much prefer the stying options and interior of the EXT. The reason I go with the avy is simple, try pulling a 7500 lb boat out of a dicey, slimy boat ramp in AWD, I'll be right beside you with my avy in 4LO and I wont have any probs while the caddy will be shakin' around trying to decide which tire to put the power too.

Big Windy Ext
12-21-11, 09:21 PM
I have had one of my Suburbans in 4 low once.When I would turn in 4 high on dry pavement it would shudder and try to go straight. Awd tied to 6.2 will easily kick Avys ass.

BMANN06
12-21-11, 09:45 PM
Ummm ... yah ... driving around in 4HI on dry pavement will essentially ruin your entire drivetrain over time.

I'm going to step out of this thread.

prosseda
12-22-11, 01:05 AM

And go skidding off into the guiderail if it is snowy or icy.

----------

I'm not going to get into a chevy vs. cadillac debate on a cadillac forum. For the fact that this is a cadillac forum (I'm going to lose as there is an abundance of cadillac supporters ... myself included)

The original poster had asked for forum member input as he was in the process of deciding between the AVY and EXT. I wanted to advise that with the EXT he will lose the "Auto4HI/2HI/4HI/4LO" option and have AWD all the time, . I have been looking to buy and test driving the new Avalanche (my avy is an 02' with 260,000KMs), trust me I would buy the EXT if I had the transfer case options, I much prefer the stying options and interior of the EXT. The reason I go with the avy is simple, try pulling a 7500 lb boat out of a dicey, slimy boat ramp in AWD, I'll be right beside you with my avy in 4LO and I wont have any probs while the caddy will be shakin' around trying to decide which tire to put the power too.
o.k. I first thought you were one of those haters that wants to be in 2wd all the time. At the minimum, Cadillac should have a selectable lock for the rear diff. That should get a boat out of the water.

hcvone
12-22-11, 06:47 AM

I pull a 7k lb trailer thru some of the worse winter weather there is, and pulled many boats up slimy ramps without any issues, WOULD IT BE NICE TO HAVE 2WD/4WD OPTION, YES BUT THAT'S NOT HAPPENING, AND HAS NOT BEEN AN OPTION SINCE BEFORE 2002 IN THE ESCALADE LINE, AND ANYONE DOING A SECOND OF RESEARCH WOULD KNOW THIS TOO. :)

ELUSIVE
12-22-11, 08:11 AM
AWD systems have come a long way in the past 10 years.

I remember very vividly a situation when I was in college in Syracuse, NY (crazy winters) where one of my friends put her VW Fox into the ditch. My roommate had an AWD Oldsmobile Bravada. He came to her rescue and we hooked the two cars up. He attempted to pull her out of the ditch but all that happened was the Bravada switched around power to all 4 different wheels independently looking for grip but never pulled the car anywhere. Another friend of ours came along with his Isuzu Rodeo, put into 4WD Low and pulled her out in 2 seconds.

I don't think this is the case anymore though. I have found the AWD system in the Escalade to be quite good.

Big Windy Ext
12-22-11, 08:17 AM
Ummm ... yah ... driving around in 4HI on dry pavement will essentially ruin your entire drivetrain over time.

I'm going to step out of this thread. Sorry ,the point I was trying to make is you don't have to take the EXT in and out of AWD,with the AVY you have to take it out of auto or 4hi when you pull off say a icy road into a plowed dry lot or you end up like I described fighting with a vehicle that wants to go straight. Its funny that Ford had a test track at the Chicago auto show for the Exploder highlighting AWD ,something GM has had for years,it just puts power to the non-slipping wheel . It would pull on a slippery boat ramp just as well as a 4x4 . My other point is I never used 4 lo other than horsing around, I pulled a 38 foot speed boat up a wall in Lake of the Ozarks,6.2 loved it and didn't need 4low .I'm not denying it must help someone or they wouldn't offer it,maybe a 3/4 ton or 1ton .

felixgun
01-01-12, 10:45 AM
I have a normal 07 escalade AWD and an 07 Avalanche LTZ 4WD. I wish the avy had a 6.2 that's about it. It came fully loaded but still doesn't compare to my escalade's interior. Basically in short, get the EXT!

brentspatriots
01-01-12, 11:36 AM

I live in petawawa up in canada, which is known for bad winters, Ive never had a problem with the AWD on the icy roads and hills around here. Never slips, never struggles to grab, its smooth and seemless and a pleasure to drive in snowy/icy conditions

BMANN06
01-11-12, 12:02 AM
I live in upstate NY and many times run chains on all 4 wheels because of feet of snow.

Wow, you run chains around town, city hall won't be too happy about that??? I keep a set of chains in my truck, only ever use them when I'm out west in the mountains skiing and I'm forced to put them on by the resort.

Awd tied to 6.2 will easily kick Avys ass.

Bigger Motor won't help you if you can't get traction.

And go skidding off into the guiderail if it is snowy or icy.

----------

o.k. I first thought you were one of those haters that wants to be in 2wd all the time. At the minimum, Cadillac should have a selectable lock for the rear diff. That should get a boat out of the water.

Thank you, at least someone in this post is recognizing what I'm trying to say, I could care less about gas mileage.

I pull a 7k lb trailer thru some of the worse winter weather there is, and pulled many boats up slimy ramps without any issues, WOULD IT BE NICE TO HAVE 2WD/4WD OPTION, YES BUT THAT'S NOT HAPPENING, AND HAS NOT BEEN AN OPTION SINCE BEFORE 2002 IN THE ESCALADE LINE, AND ANYONE DOING A SECOND OF RESEARCH WOULD KNOW THIS TOO. :)

To be honest I didn't know I couldn't select drivetrain options in EXT until I sat in one, maybe OP didn't either.

AWD systems have come a long way in the past 10 years.

I remember very vividly a situation when I was in college in Syracuse, NY (crazy winters) where one of my friends put her VW Fox into the ditch. My roommate had an AWD Oldsmobile Bravada. He came to her rescue and we hooked the two cars up. He attempted to pull her out of the ditch but all that happened was the Bravada switched around power to all 4 different wheels independently looking for grip but never pulled the car anywhere. Another friend of ours came along with his Isuzu Rodeo, put into 4WD Low and pulled her out in 2 seconds.

I don't think this is the case anymore though. I have found the AWD system in the Escalade to be quite good.

Unfortunatley you would still have this problem with your EXT.

Sorry ,the point I was trying to make is you don't have to take the EXT in and out of AWD,with the AVY you have to take it out of auto or 4hi when you pull off say a icy road into a plowed dry lot or you end up like I described fighting with a vehicle that wants to go straight. Its funny that Ford had a test track at the Chicago auto show for the Exploder highlighting AWD ,something GM has had for years,it just puts power to the non-slipping wheel . It would pull on a slippery boat ramp just as well as a 4x4 . My other point is I never used 4 lo other than horsing around, I pulled a 38 foot speed boat up a wall in Lake of the Ozarks,6.2 loved it and didn't need 4low .I'm not denying it must help someone or they wouldn't offer it,maybe a 3/4 ton or 1ton .

Fair enough, realisticlly though, AUTO4HI option in the avy/GM 4x4 light truck line is very similar to the AWD running in the EXT.

[/I][/U][/B]

I live in petawawa up in canada, which is known for bad winters, Ive never had a problem with the AWD on the icy roads and hills around here. Never slips, never struggles to grab, its smooth and seemless and a pleasure to drive in snowy/icy conditions

Point taken, the borgwarner AWD system is pretty good in snow I've got a scaled down version in my sedan. I find it works really good in my car, but to have it in my truck I'd prefer not thanks. Its crap in the mud, or really any situation where all 4 tires are on the same slippery surface.

Now feel free to flame me!! I've got my flame retardant suit on!!

Naf
01-11-12, 01:01 AM
Actually you could do like what i did. I got a Tahoe and dressed it up with Denali parts. Its the same vehicle but i like my Z71 edition. Got rid of that little 5.3 and replaced it with a 6.0 with all the bells and whistles.

Have enough power to pass someone while towing, and still has decent mileage. Though its a pig compared to the stock 5.3.

Am gonna install a drysump and vortech sc soon, but i am waitin on some parts for the dry sump and a decent pice for the SC.

550+ at the rear here i come