: My new 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham!

carguy16
11-07-04, 02:07 PM
My parents bought a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham sedan, it was actually from Michigan, but moved down here. The car has 107,000 miles on the clock, and appears to have been garage kept.

The paint is in excellent condition, as is the carriage top roof, there is no corrossion under the hood except under the battery tray.

It came with a freshly rebuilt transmission with 6k mile warranty, a new A/C compressor, new belts hoses, and fairly new Michelins. Apparently the water pump was replaced, as the guy said there were "after market" clamps installed, but he could not confirm or guarantee it.

It does not have a CD player, it has an alarm system though and the power trunk pull down.

I have attached some pictures of it. Please look at the pic's I have attached from the under side of the car, I noticed there is some MINOR corrosion rust, but I was concerned about two things though.

1.) On the rear axle, there is what I assume is the "wish bone", it has rusted through a little bit, but not all the way, it should be visibile in pic 2415, in the picture it looks like a small hair line crack, but up close it looks worse.

2.) In pic 2417, you can see a pully, and there appeared to be moisture or oil around it. Apparently the oil was just changed the day before I bought it, which was yesterday(Saturday). Some of it did spill on the exhaust, which caused a little smoke, but it stopped after it burned off, there is now a faint smell of burnt oil. Should I be concerned about any of this?

If need be, I can e-mail a super sized pic.

I test drove the car with my folks, and drove it home by myself. A little scary at first, it has those circular blind spot mirrors thank fully, but I was trying to stay in the lane, id look in the mirror to check I was and I was drifting a little and would have to correct. There seem's to be a little pull in the wheel, I cant confirm it, it was only a 20 mile ride home, and my first time in the car at 70-80 mph.

I've burried the accelerater a couple times, and the car does move, and is still very quiet. I've squelched the tires a couple times, very torquey. I am very impressed with the car over all, when I got in the car to test drive it, the A/C was already going, the car had been idling for a few minutes while we were looking and talking, and there was a classical music/soft jazz station playing(piano music) that really put a touch on the car as well, it reminds me of staying in a hotel.

So, my only issue lies with under the car, if someone can please let me know that would be great! How much did I pay for this mammoth??? $4000.00 , but I have to go to the DMV and get the tag, title transfer, register it, and pay taxes.

*EDIT* The last three pictures are the ones that are important, one shows the crack while zoomed out, the other shows it zoomed in, then finally you see the underside of the engine.

ocjmakaveli
11-07-04, 02:30 PM
the roof is a vinyl top standard on fleetwoods it was actually more expensive to have it taken off

The crack in the "wishbone" is the swaybar on the rear to keep the car from moving much on turns either way i would strongly suggest replacing it with aftermarket parts i prefer hotchkis they have a good bar set about $500 total for both front and rear that will improve the turning in the caddy A LOT and still preserve the soft ride when going straight. This should be a good excuse to upgrade both rear and front bars.

You don't have to replace them though if money is an issue because if it broke it wouldn't hang and touch the floor. Only thing is you would experience more swaying when turning. In my opinion the stock bars get fatigued after a couple years just from handling the massive weight on each turn so replacing is a must for handling.

when i first had my caddy i felt like my car was about to tip over on the freeway ramps that circle around like an O.

Nice Nice car just change the wheels to anything that you like

even stock size wheels you can buy at most wheel shops for about $350 or get the info on lug pattern and offset you need and look around on ebay for some really good deals.

i'll start you off your caddy has a 5x5 bolt pattern a.k.a. 5X127mm they are the same. With a 0mm to +20mm offset a lot of people here have wider tires, wider rims on 15" rims to make it look stock but improve traction.

i think stock rims are 15x7" wide

Pretty much the first upgrades that would improve the handling and exterior look of your caddy the most, regardless to what most elders think rims/tires are what everyone notices first and what leaves an impression. Funny how after so long we are all still fascinated by rolling wheels.

carguy16
11-07-04, 04:40 PM
Ok, I'm not concerned about handling, but I am concerned about $$$. I'd rather just buy the el cheapo sway bar, if it wont affect anything but swaying I think it can remain that way for awhile longer.

Secondly, I found a yellow note in the owners manual, it says:

"Coil Wire - Rust - AR" "Coil & Wire"

"5.7 - Dist. Cap - Impossible"

Anyone wanna take some guesses?

I am not concerned about the RIM's, although I do want to get them polished, the carriage top looks great and it is staying. The window tint is going to be important, makes the car look better, keep's it cooler, and keeps the leather from getting such a severe beating. There is some MINOR cracking on the driver seat, kinda like scratches.

Looking through the maintenace records, it had new shocks at 65,000 miles at Midas, it was taken to a Cadillac dealer because the car wouldnt start, some wire was burned and replaced, it has had a few brake jobs, and thhats the only things worth mentioning.

There was a service order that said "Customer states the steering wheel makes a popping sound when wheel turned hard left/right." Apparently the car still has the problem, I had to make a U-Turn and had that problem, it says they greased the stop arm's for the steering and apparently it fixed it???

The sound system is very nice. I might get an after market CD-Changer, so I can keep the stock radio. There is so much stuff I want to do with the car, but I will have to wait and save up.

brougham
11-07-04, 07:29 PM
So you finally got one! I can't see the crack you're talking about. If you're really worried about it you can see if you can find another one at a junk yard. There's nothing wrong with those rims. I wouldn't bother changing them unless you find a set of those chrome ones somewhere. I saw a Fleetwood at the junk yard at the end of the summer that I wanted to buy the rims off of but they wanted too much for them.

HotRodSaint
11-07-04, 08:44 PM
Nice color. Congradulations! :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
11-07-04, 11:01 PM
Coongradulations pal, glad you picked a nice one, and you did. I just would like to see some whitewalls on it, but hey! That's me. Enjoy her bro. Cheers.

barge master
11-08-04, 07:08 AM
Awwwrighty Car Guy!! You finally got one. Very nice looking ride. Glad to see your long and protracted quest has been fulfilled.

RBraczyk
11-08-04, 07:13 AM
Glad you made your decision.

davesdeville
11-08-04, 07:19 PM
That sure is a huge antenna on your house. I like your car too, $4000 is pretty good. :thumbsup:

FASSTWOOD
11-08-04, 07:52 PM
Well it about time!!! Congatulations welcome to FOSS... I don't know if tis the way I'm looking at it but it seems that your left rear shock is missing some hardware. It could be just me...

Anyways, congratulations, enjoy your new ride!!!

Msilva954
11-08-04, 08:38 PM
beautiful man....love the color too...looks to have only 50k on it at most......and for a up north car the underside doesnt look half bad.....one lucky person you are....

hey where u located??? around Ocala....looks familiar.

carguy16
11-08-04, 10:51 PM
I actually live in the Tampa, Fl area. I have seen a '95 White Cadillac Fleetwood, a Black 93 or up Cadillac Fleetwood, a Green 93 and up Cadillac Fleetwood, and another Green 93 and up Cadillac Fleetwood in my area, on, and a blue 93 or 94 Cadillac Fleetwood as well.

Fastwood, What does FOSS mean??? And what hard ware does it look like its missing on my left rear shock absorber? I just noticed, on the picture of the underside engine area, is there a clamp missing for the lower radiator hose???

Im glad that I finally got the car! I was glad it didnt sell, due to delay after delay, that Fleetwood I just bought was on AutoTrader for 3 weeks.

Im going to try and stop dreading about anything expensive going wrong, I'm thinking about the rear sway bar, and a small possible grease/oil spot from the front of the engine around the lower pully for the serpantine belt(by the steering thing).

Im considering buying comprehensive insurance, just to protect it from fire, theft, vandalism, etc...I am NOT going to get into an accident, someone may crash into me, so I am not worried about that, I know I am a damn safe driver. How ever, I cant stop theft, fire or vandalism.

FASSTWOOD
11-08-04, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=carguy16]
Fastwood, What does FOSS mean??? And what hard ware does it look like its missing on my left rear shock absorber? I just noticed, on the picture of the underside engine area, is there a clamp missing for the lower radiator hose???[/Qoute]

Do a search...

HotRodSaint
11-08-04, 11:58 PM
We need a FoSS sticker! :cool:

scurling
11-09-04, 01:08 AM
Very Nice car dude. Good price too. The color is hard to see in one picture, is that a dark navy blue (Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic)? That's the color of my '94, but I have the Med. blue interior.

Can't see a lot in the picture you reference, but that's definitely the rear sway bar. My front sway bar had both link connector bolts rust through at the lower end of the bolt, where moisture would collect around the rubber bushing. Replacement bushings are now made of neoprene (hard durable plastic) and shouldn't allow moisture to collect at the bolt end. If a sway bar connection or mount ever breaks, you will hear it start to rattle when you hit bumps.

It looks like, in one of the rear end pictures with the frame member, the car may have been driven over a curb, parking lot stop, or something to put a good scrape in the bottom of the frame member. That's all I see. This is no big deal with this either, a little rust preventer spray will make it look good, but who looks under our cars.

The rust under the battery iseems to be a common thread at least with the '94s. Both of mine have that problem, caused by a leaky battery. That was the first thing I fixed. I replaced the battery tray after a good metal treatment under the tray. It's a good thing the wiring is covered with plastic conduit in that area.

Looks like you got a great buy.

FASSTWOOD
11-09-04, 01:46 AM
We need a FoSS sticker! :cool:

That would be kinda cool!

scurling
11-09-04, 12:13 PM
Ok, call be dumb, but what does FOSS stand for?

Adam
11-09-04, 06:30 PM
^ think about it. youll figure out the answer soon enough.

carguy- well its about damn time you got one. :D congratulations man, youll love it. take good car of it.