: iPod/iPhone integration and VCIM - 08' Esky

05Gride
12-20-11, 06:39 PM
Hi folks, I have a 2008 Escalade and the dealership I just bought it from ordered an iPod integration module for me. They haven't installed anything yet.

Given that I'm looking to add a new VCIM with Bluetooth integration as well I was curious a) if there is a specific VCIM (and part#) that would provide for BOTH the iPod/iPhone integration and Bluetooth. b) If the iPod integration the dealership would have ordered is in and of itself also a new VCIM anyways. Obviously I don't want to be paying twice if I can accomplish this with one purchase!

----------

Also wondering how the Coastal GM Lockpick plays in to all this in the capability that offers

krieghoff
12-20-11, 07:27 PM
I am guessing if the dealer ordered the VCIM it still won't have Bluethooth because the 2008 didn't have Bluetooth.

The VCIM has nothing to do with the Ipod!

I installed a VCIM with Bluetooth and the GMX-550 lockpic.

I wish I would have done it when I bought 2008 ESV.

They work great!

What is an Esky?????????????

05Gride
12-21-11, 11:15 AM
I am guessing if the dealer ordered the VCIM it still won't have Bluethooth because the 2008 didn't have Bluetooth.

The VCIM has nothing to do with the Ipod!

I installed a VCIM with Bluetooth and the GMX-550 lockpic.

I wish I would have done it when I bought 2008 ESV.

They work great!

What is an Esky?????????????

Awesome, glad to know that combo worked. I guess I need to call the dealer and get a part number. Since I didn't do research before they told me they could do it, I almost think I'd rather try to cancel the order and then go with the combo you did. I don't even know if the iPod integration hardware they'd be putting in can integrate well to an iPhone like the GMX-550 would. Out of curiosity, where did you run the iPod cable to in your vehicle? How easy was it?

krieghoff
12-21-11, 11:27 AM
The GMX-550 has the Ipod cable with it. Like I said they both work great!

I just went to the iPhone 4S from the 3G. The 3G is 64G. I use it as an Ipod now. It has 3200 songs on it and works really well with GMX-550!

http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-GMX-550-Lockpick-Vehicles-GMX550/dp/B005CQAN2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324484774&sr=8-1

StevieT
12-21-11, 01:07 PM
GMX-550 has sound quality issues. Most of your songs will sound like crap.

krieghoff
12-21-11, 01:59 PM
My Ipod sounds great with my GMX-550.

05Gride
12-21-11, 05:25 PM
GMX-550 has sound quality issues. Most of your songs will sound like crap.

IS this from experience? When you say the songs sound like crap describe exactly what you mean.

Also with the VCIM option, do you absolutely have to have someone at the dealership "Tech2" the unit before installing it? Or is that just to retain the OnStar functionality?

MrHolland
12-21-11, 05:30 PM
IS this from experience? When you say the songs sound like crap describe exactly what you mean.

Also with the VCIM option, do you absolutely have to have someone at the dealership "Tech2" the unit before installing it? Or is that just to retain the OnStar functionality?
There is a thread in here covering that specific topic.

05Gride
12-21-11, 06:13 PM
There is a thread in here covering that specific topic.

I know there is, but that thread goes off on some tangents and more surrounds finding someone to program the VCIM to work with Onstar.

I'm more wanting to know if the thing will only work if you Tech2 it period, not as concerned about the OnStar piece.

MrHolland
12-21-11, 08:28 PM
There is a thread right above that one titled lockpick sound quality I believe will address your concerns, unless that is the one you were referencing. Its probably on page 4

StevieT
12-21-11, 08:49 PM
The thread I started, referenced above (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/246416-lockpick-sound-quality.html), does not go off on tangents. Provides specific tests performed to conclude that the lockpick sucks and it is not what coastal describes.

05Gride
12-22-11, 01:16 PM
The thread I started, referenced above (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/246416-lockpick-sound-quality.html), does not go off on tangents. Provides specific tests performed to conclude that the lockpick sucks and it is not what coastal describes.

Hey Stevie, that thread was actually helpful. Thanks for posting that link.

To be clear, I wasn't really asking about the sound quality issues from the jump (although this is REALLY good input as I'm assessing options). I was more concerned about the plug-and-play capability of the newer VCIMs to get bluetooth connectivity. I see on here that people just go ahead and install the VCIM once they receive it with no programming and are ok. But everytime I talk to someone at an audio place or whatever, they say that the new VCIM would have to get "Tech2"d, and that it's about 2 hours worth of work at the stealership. I was just trying to confirm or deny all of this.

The more I'm reading about everything, I'm beginning the think that PAC-Audios products are the way to go with everything. Going to cost about $200-$300 more, but in my mind seems to be worth it to get bluetooth + iPod integration.

krieghoff
12-22-11, 02:12 PM
I bought my VCIM on Ebay and installed it in about 20 minutes!

ESCALADE132
12-22-11, 03:26 PM
I get great sound with my iPod Touch and iPad 2 when it's hooked up to the 550 and think it works great in my Escalade

StevieT
12-23-11, 05:55 PM
Hey Stevie, that thread was actually helpful. Thanks for posting that link.

To be clear, I wasn't really asking about the sound quality issues from the jump (although this is REALLY good input as I'm assessing options). I was more concerned about the plug-and-play capability of the newer VCIMs to get bluetooth connectivity. I see on here that people just go ahead and install the VCIM once they receive it with no programming and are ok. But everytime I talk to someone at an audio place or whatever, they say that the new VCIM would have to get "Tech2"d, and that it's about 2 hours worth of work at the stealership. I was just trying to confirm or deny all of this.

The more I'm reading about everything, I'm beginning the think that PAC-Audios products are the way to go with everything. Going to cost about $200-$300 more, but in my mind seems to be worth it to get bluetooth + iPod integration.

I had a PAC audio unit that came with the truck. Actually thought it was stock for a few months, lol. When I put in the GMX 550 I got to see what it actually was. Audio quality was far superior when running though the PAC I don't use any bluetooth features since I have an 07' so I can't comment there. The lockpick is awesome for all of it's other features.