: Drl on with parking lights

Eric Hagan
12-20-11, 03:34 PM
Any body wired the drl to be on with the parking lights?
I was thinking about wiring them parallel so when the parking lights were on the drl would be on at night also.
Any input is appreciated

Bunty
12-20-11, 05:25 PM
I want to do this too, hope we can get the info.

Eric Hagan
12-20-11, 05:55 PM
I am going to install a diode in the wiring so when driving during the day and the drl come on it doesn't power the parking lights and just the drls will be on, but when I turn the parking lights on the power will go to both. So with the diode installed so the power will only go to the drl from the parking lights and the power will not flow from the drl to the parking lights. I am going to do this.

Bunty
12-20-11, 06:14 PM
I have no idea about any of these things but if it works let me know and tell me exactly what to get. I'll go try to do some research too now.

Eric Hagan
12-20-11, 08:57 PM
I'm going to get the diodes tomorrow and hook it up when I get a chance.

Eric Hagan
12-20-11, 10:04 PM
Anybody know where the DRL relay is located?? Ive looked under the hood at the relay/fuse block and the fuse for the DRL is there but no relay for the DRL??

Eric Hagan
12-21-11, 09:25 PM
Could not find a relay anywhere and nobody was any help.

I got it done though. One 3" wire and a diode works perfectly. No cutting splicing nothing. SWEET. AND EASY TOO.
I have them come on with the fog lights, not the parking lights. I could do either the fogs, Hids, or the fogs, and I chose the fog lights.

Bunty
12-21-11, 11:18 PM
Omg!

Tell me what wire and diode to get and what to do. I have no clue about these things so sorry if I sound like an idiot. >.<

Eric Hagan
12-22-11, 08:05 AM
I only recommend doing it the way I did if you are running LEDs because they draw 23%less than a halogen or a HID. If you are running LEDs I can show you where and how. If you are not running leds this might cause you to blow a fuse.

Because 55w x 4 bulbs is going to pull some where around 18 amps.

LEDs that I have are rated at 13w which will total up to less than 5 amps. So I would not be even close to popping the 15 amp fuse.

Are you running LEDS??

Bunty
12-22-11, 09:01 AM
I just ordered leds for the parking and drl so I should have them by next week. So I should be good. They are both 64 smt leds.

Eric Hagan
12-22-11, 02:53 PM
I just ordered leds for the parking and drl so I should have them by next week. So I should be good. They are both 64 smt leds.

What are running in your fogs?

Bunty
12-22-11, 04:47 PM
The fogs are 55w hids. Though I want those to stay independent. I just want the drl to stay on all the time even when parking lights come on.

Eric Hagan
12-22-11, 10:06 PM
You need a basic 200v 6amp diode. I got mine from a electronics store called hutch and sons. Cost me 2 dollars for two diodes. You should be able to get one at radio shack or some electronics dealer. I will post pictures of how to do it. I used a old fluke test lead wire. The wire is very fine with lots of little strands. It's about 16 ga or 18ga stranded but it needs to be very flexible like welding wire.

I'm busy right now (holidays) but I will post how to on this for you you get them working with the parking lights.
It is very simple.

Bunty
12-22-11, 11:59 PM
Sounds good man, thank you!

quattrotman
12-23-11, 01:00 AM
Sorry, I jumped on this thread late...I have LED's for my parking and DRL. I really like what you've done there. Please post some pics of the wiring. Did you just run a line from the fogs and tap into the DRL? I'm not clear on the function of the diode. Nice mod though. Looks great!!

Eric Hagan
12-23-11, 06:57 AM
The purpose of the diode is it acts like a check valve. It only allows power to go from the parking light relay to the drl. No power will go the opposite way from the drl to the parking lights. So if it's noon and the sun is shining and the truck wants the drl to be on, the diode will not let the power get to the parking lights so they will not be on unless you override the auto controls to manually turn them on. Does that make sense?

Big Windy Ext
12-23-11, 09:44 AM
Did you do it at the lights or the fuse box? I have all leds except fogs I put in 55watt hids w/relay. I have been looking to have my drl lit when my headlights are on. Looking forward to seeing how you did it.Thanks!

stater02
12-23-11, 10:15 AM
The purpose of the diode is it acts like a check valve. It only allows power to go from the parking light relay to the drl. No power will go the opposite way from the drl to the parking lights. So if it's noon and the sun is shining and the truck wants the drl to be on, the diode will not let the power get to the parking lights so they will not be on unless you override the auto controls to manually turn them on. Does that make sense?

This makes sense. And If I understand it correctly, what I really like about it is that simply turning on your fogs, as I always do, will turn everything on. If I'm wrong, let me know.

prosseda
12-23-11, 12:39 PM
Could not find a relay anywhere and nobody was any help.

I got it done though. One 3" wire and a diode works perfectly. No cutting splicing nothing. SWEET. AND EASY TOO.
I have them come on with the fog lights, not the parking lights. I could do either the fogs, Hids, or the fogs, and I chose the fog lights.

Which DRL LED's did you use? The color match looks perfect. Although I can't see them lit by themselves, the output looks good too.

Eric Hagan
12-23-11, 01:20 PM
Vleds 28 led 6k 13watt. They are supposed to be brighter than the 60 something ones. I'm running vleds but a different part number in the fogs also the same output and color.

quattrotman
12-23-11, 04:18 PM

Ya that makes sense. Never used one but i understand the idea. If yours is set up with the DRL to come on with the fogs (I'd like to do the same) how exactly is that wired and did you do it at the lights or fuse box?

prosseda
12-24-11, 01:16 AM
Vleds 28 led 6k 13watt. They are supposed to be brighter than the 60 something ones. I'm running vleds but a different part number in the fogs also the same output and color.

Thanks. I heard the bigger ones might not fit anyway but was worried about the brightness of the smaller ones. Your picture sold me.

Eric Hagan
12-26-11, 05:55 PM
Ok here's the pics on how to setup the diode, powering the DRL with the fogs, and powering the DRL with the parking lights.

I do recommend already having all of your lights changed over to LEDs due to the fact they use less power than the incandescent bulbs before doing this.

I do recommend installing the diode. The purpose of the diode is to prevent the DRL from powering the parking light or powering the fogs when it's daytime and the truck wants to run the DRL. I'm not sure where the relay is that switches on the DRL so I don't want to chance burning it up. The relays for the fogs and parking lights are in the fuse box in the pictures below. Don't take any chances and use the diode!!

Items needed.

1- 200v 6 amp generic diode less than a dollar. I got this from hutchandsons.com there store is local. You should be able to score one at RadioShack or a electronics store locally.

1- test lead or jumper wire. 14 to 16ga fine stranded very flexible wire

Solder gun

Heat shrink

Pay very close attention to where I have the wires landed. THIS IS IMPORTANT!! If you do not land the wires exactly like mine in the picture, the wire in side the fuse box will not be fused.

All of the lights will still be fused and all of the wiring is still fused hooking the wires up exactly like mine. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE PICTURES!!

NOTE: the arrows I have drawn on the picture pointing to the fuses are only to help you locate the fuse. Do not land the wires where the arrows point. Land the wires exactly where mine are landed in the picture.

When putting the diode together with the wires and soldering and then installing the heat shrink, pay attention where the mark is on the diode so you know which way it's to be installed. If you install it backwards the lights will not work as intended. The power will only flow one direction. Check out the picture below of the diode with the mark. I have it noted which way the power goes. You want the power to go from the fogs to the drl fuse if you want it that way and the same if you want the drl to come on with the parking lights. Power goes from parking lights or fogs which ever you chose to the DRLS.

All you have to do to land the wire is pull the fuse noted and push the wire into that terminal. Do not twist the wire. Try to make it flat like a terminal and insert it into the hole and then push the fuse in. This will hold the wire in and make contact with that end of the wire and the fuse. Make sure no loose strands are exposed that might bypass the fuse.

ENJOY
I have tested both ways and it works perfectly.

Eric Hagan

quattrotman
12-26-11, 11:05 PM
You da man! Nice work! Gonna try this soon. Thanks for all the info!

Big Windy Ext
12-28-11, 09:14 AM
When you do the parking to fog did you lose your intellebeam,that is the one thing about running the fogs is the loss of high beams,it makes sense that if its foggy you don't want them to come on but I like the extra light during normal night driving . Thanks again for posting the Poor Mans LED headlights lol

Eric Hagan
12-28-11, 03:29 PM
When you do the parking to fog did you lose your intellebeam,that is the one thing about running the fogs is the loss of high beams,it makes sense that if its foggy you don't want them to come on but I like the extra light during normal night driving . Thanks again for posting the Poor Mans LED headlights lol

I didn't do parking lights to the fogs. Only parking lights to power the drl. And fogs to the drl. You could do Parking lights to fog if wanted. Will not due anything to affect the intellibeams unless you manually turn the fogs switch on. Does this make sense?

Eric Hagan
12-28-11, 06:14 PM

You got my gears turning windy ext and I'm going to Hook my fog light relay and the headlight relay coils up. So if the headlights are on the fogs will be on. So no pressing the fog light button period. So I will have fogs, intellibeams activated, and the DRLS on also. I will post the picks and which terminal on the relays to hook up to.

I will like not having to hit the fog button every time I drive at night and I forgot all about the intellibeams it's been so long since I drove at night without my fogs on!! 😁

Bunty
12-30-11, 12:06 AM
You got my gears turning windy ext and I'm going to Hook my fog light relay and the headlight relay coils up. So if the headlights are on the fogs will be on. So no pressing the fog light button period. So I will have fogs, intellibeams activated, and the DRLS on also. I will post the picks and which terminal on the relays to hook up to.

I will like not having to hit the fog button every time I drive at night and I forgot all about the intellibeams it's been so long since I drove at night without my fogs on!! ��

This sounds awesome, let me know how that goes because I'd like to have all on and still keep intellibeams.

Eric Hagan
12-30-11, 08:40 AM
Well I've done it and the intellibeams work perfectly.
It's so bright now with the DRLS on and fogs and the high beams on it's awesome.
Never even have to hit the fog switch again. Everything works perfectly.

Bunty
12-30-11, 04:55 PM
Well I've done it and the intellibeams work perfectly.
It's so bright now with the DRLS on and fogs and the high beams on it's awesome.
Never even have to hit the fog switch again. Everything works perfectly.

Cool so you didn't do anything different from what is shown in your post with the pics right? I want a wire from the headlight to the fogs and another from the parking to the DRL.

This won't overload anything right?

Eric Hagan
12-30-11, 07:54 PM
Cool so you didn't do anything different from what is shown in your post with the pics right? I want a wire from the headlight to the fogs and another from the parking to the DRL.

This won't overload anything right?

No it's not in the pictures above.

I'll do a right up or how to some time this weekend.

Sorry I meant to wright that above.

I'll get on it when I get some time. Been playing with my other toys!! Haha

Bunty
12-30-11, 08:51 PM
Alright thanks, and that's petty cool too haha^

Eric Hagan
01-02-12, 10:34 AM
Ok this works the same way as powering the DRL with the right parking lights. But I am powering the fogs off of the left parking light fuse. I am also using the diode and the same wire as mentioned above.

SEE ABOVE ABOUT THE DIODE AND THE WAY THE POWER FLOWS TROUGH IT.

The power will flow to the fogs from the left parking light fuse. But the diode will keep the fogs from powering the parking lights.

The wire needs to land on the right side of fuse 27 and the right side of fuse 25. This protects the wire in the fuse box and keeps everything fused and protected. SEE THE PICTURE.

Again I have replaced all of my incandescent bulbs to led which draw around 25% less than the factory bulbs and if you do the same this will work for you.

DO NOT RUN THE FOGS THIS WAY IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING LEDS IN THE FOGS AND THE SAME FOR THE DRLS.

If you are running HIDS then you will need to install isolation relays to handle the load. With LEDs you don't need the relays. This works perfectly.

So now when I unlock my doors everything turns on. Park, fog, DRL, HIDS.
If I remote start, the park, fog, DRLs will be on. No HIDs.

No need to hit the fog button at all now. They come on when the parking lights turn on. The DRLs still will come on when it's sunny outside and no other lights will be on except the DRLs when it's sunny. If it gets dark, everything turns on automatically. Should of had this from the factory IMO.

And the intellibeams work perfectly and it is crazy bright at night with the fogs, DRLs, and the HIDs high beams.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

48Dodge
01-02-12, 11:51 AM
Great job, Eric! I love that look. Quick question, do you have stock headlights or did you replace them with 6ks? Everything looks very white in your picture. I know you have the VLed 6k bulbs everywhere else up front. Color match is perfect from what I can tell.

Eric Hagan
01-02-12, 12:30 PM
They are stock. The color match is very close. As you can see in my pics. Its hard to tell there is any difference between the d1s and the leds.
As you know the Hids change color with time. I think everybody's are a little different shades. Slightly.

Bunty
01-03-12, 02:37 AM
Great write up man, this thread should probably be stickied. Either way this is going in my bookmarks and will be very useful to many people.

Thanks a lot!

Eric Hagan
01-03-12, 09:42 AM
Great write up man, this thread should probably be stickied. Either way this is going in my bookmarks and will be very useful to many people.

Thanks a lot!

You are welcome.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

mycaddi408
01-13-12, 02:42 AM
Hey Eric i just wanted to know if you knew the part #'s for the Vled lights so I could do the same setup in mine. Looks good:thumbsup:
Thank you

Eric Hagan
01-13-12, 08:14 AM
These came from superbrightleds.com They are the parking light bulbs. These are brighter than the ones I originaly got from VLEDs.
2 | WLED-xHP15-T: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 16.95 |
WLED-CWHP15-T: Cool White

These are my fog lights. They are a direct replacement. from VLEDs
9005_28_W_6K
V-LEDS 6K HID WHITE 28 LED 13W DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005 H10 9145 B/O

These are for the DRLs I did have to tap the wires on the harness to power these. The connectors came with the lights. also you need to contact them and give them the info of what your truck is and they have to modify the bulbs so you can put the screw on cover back on the back of the headlight assembly. See the note of the escalade mod on the list below. All you have to do is go to their website and drop the tech support people a email and they will get back to you.
1 V-LEDS 6K HID WHITE 28 LED 13W DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS 5202 9009 H16 - Direct Sale
$89.99 $89.99
1 ESCALADE MOD - Direct Sale
$10.00 $10.00
Subtotal: $99.99
Shipping: (USPS Priority) $7.49
Total: $107.48

mycaddi408
04-27-13, 01:50 AM
I wired my truck the same way as your last fuse box pic. The DRL comes on with parking and Hid, when I hit the unlock button. My fog lights don't come on. I still have to turn the fog lights on manually. Are there supposed to be "3" wires with diodes, or just "2" wires like picture above?? I want fogs to automatically turn on with all the lights.

Thank you

mycaddi408
04-27-13, 02:08 AM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh169/nvcolombiano/mytruck_zps81dc1b19.jpg (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/nvcolombiano/media/mytruck_zps81dc1b19.jpg.html)
here it is I had to turn on the fog lights manually. I want to make sure that I did it the right way

mycaddi408
04-27-13, 03:37 AM
I took a second look at the truck and found out that I had one diode going the wrong way:thepan:

Everything works perfect now, Thank you

Eric Hagan
05-02-13, 10:29 PM
I took a second look at the truck and found out that I had one diode going the wrong way:thepan:

Everything works perfect now, Thank you

Sweet!!

tgeorge34
01-11-14, 02:06 AM
I am in the process of doing this...just waiting for my last set of led's for the parking lights and switchback turn signals to arrive. The question I have is if I am powering the DRL off of the parking light, and I am also powering the fog lights off of the parking light, will I mess something up if I also tap the wire for the switchback turn signal into the parking light? How did you get your switchbacks lit in your picture in your signature?

Thanks

tgeorge34
01-14-14, 12:11 AM
Anybody have any idea???

Eric Hagan
02-12-14, 09:27 PM
Anybody have any idea???

I got my constant power for the switchback led off of my fog lights. So when the fog is on, the turn signal will be white until the turn signal is engaged.

denaliguy
11-16-14, 06:55 PM
Will a 200v 3amp diode work? He mentions a 6amp but all I can find locally is 3amp.

Dr. Coop
11-18-14, 02:58 PM
What is the middle light in the headlight assembly? Mine never comes on

denaliguy
11-20-14, 06:58 PM
Will a 200v 3amp diode work? He mentions a 6amp but all I can find locally is 3amp.

Bueller? I don't want to blow anything using a smaller diode. I know little about electronics.