: SureGrip stud kit / jig combo allignment?

ponyboyt
12-20-11, 01:24 PM
how do i use the supplied bolts to line up the jig? My best guess is.... to guess! Once the 2 bolts are almost tight, there is quite a bit of play in the plate. I need to line it up straight with the hole to drill, but i thought it should line itself up. Am i missing something?

ponyboyt
12-20-11, 04:18 PM
so far the best i can see is to set the bit first, then set the plate and tighten it down. I am going to work on an easier way to do this (more precise if not easy), let a machine do all the work :P

maeng9981
12-21-11, 04:33 AM
Weird, mine seated perfectly on the block and it wouldn't have any play. I tightened the two aligning bolts first all the way until they are tight on the block.

ternstes
12-21-11, 07:44 AM
Are you using the revised plate from Jake? Some of the older ones did have issues with alignment.

ponyboyt
12-21-11, 07:00 PM
i think i have the old plate. There is nothing on the bolts or the holes in the plate that will make the plate straighten as you tighten the bolts. I have to eyeball it. Set the tip of the bit then tighten the bolts down so it holds. One of the holes in the block (bottom right #8) was not factory drilled as deep as the rest of the factory holes in the block and the tap bottomed out and broke.... this one is fun.

97EldoCoupe
12-22-11, 12:19 AM
Mason as soon as pending orders are filled I'll make an updated plate and bolt set available to you.

ponyboyt
12-23-11, 12:03 PM
well it was a good learning experience. Heads are on. Im glad i have lots of cores. 6 of the studs werent straight, but they werent far off. I used a 4 sided tap for the remaining holes, is there any reason yours had 3? The 4 sided one seemed to turn easier. The same hole on the opposite side of the block was also drilled from the factory shallower than the rest, something ill keep an eye out for on the next one. Ill hit you up for that plate. I looked at having some bolts made with tapered heads to line this plate up but ill hold off. Sitting the block in a in a machine and having the holes CNC drilled and tapped sounds a lot easier and hassle free to me, i probably cant get it done til january now.