: Anything specific to beware of buying a '72 CDV?

White Whale
11-07-04, 11:51 AM
Hello all,
I ran across a 1972 CDV here in AZ, and was wondering if there are any problems specific to the 1972 Coupe DeVille I should look for as I inspect the car.
Thanks,
Mike

Fred Fachman
11-08-04, 04:15 AM
The only items you will find with any 70's car is rust and poor plastics common to the era. Arm rests and dashboards that are cracked and just the age of the vehicle will be an issue. All vehicles of that era are prone to rust depending on where they are from. I suspect an Arizona vehicle would be nearly free of rust. Mechanically, the car is a rock and virtually indestructible. Don't post a thread about what kind of morphodite engine will fit in it.

White Whale
11-08-04, 11:05 AM
A friend of mine has a '61 Nash Metro and is thinking about changing the engine, so I thought I could adapt it to the Caddy.
With an 871 blower it should just get it moving... :histeric:
Thanks Fred.
It ain't broke, so I won't fix it.
Mike

Fred Fachman
11-09-04, 02:57 AM
Mike, Hope you didn't take offense to my post. It's your car so you can do what you want. I am an originality buff and love an old original, even a '61 Nash. When I restored my '48 Ford pickup, my wife wanted me to put in a modern drivetrain. Boy that old flathead sounds nice cruising around town at 40 MPH. I even kept the stovebolt 6 in my '30 Chevy, Babbet bearings and all. Good luck and post some pics if you decide to buy. Fred

90LS400Lexus
11-09-04, 09:33 PM
Like Fred said- rust was about the only issue with these cars, but mainly up north- in the snow belts, not so much rust problems in the southeast USA, but the very high humidity has its hand in rust issues as well- other than that- no computers or any "extra non-necessary" mechanicals go wrong as there are on newer cars. Since the car is from Arizona- I would image that rust would not be an issue, but the interior on the other hand is probably dried out, especially if it set out in the hot desert sun. Good luck- those are neat cars. I had a 72' Sedan DeVille about 12-13 years ago. I traded it to a old man for a 60' Oldsmobile Super 88. The Cadillac still resides in the same spot we drove it to in 1992. Not moved or started since. :crying2: Now it is ruined. :helpless:

barge master
11-10-04, 05:56 AM
They seem to need lower ball joints and steering center links like all the Caddys of the old vintage. That's pretty straightforward to fix though. One problem they all have is how the gas tanks seem to empty like flushing the toilet. :shocked2:

White Whale
11-10-04, 03:04 PM
Fred,
As to if I was offended.. :want:
Quite the contrary. I appreciate your stand, I am generally of the same mind.
I was involved with original muscle cars for years.
I can also appreciate your humor, it is not lost on me.
All you guys are a great help, as I am returning to the Cadillac fold after many years away.
Thanks,
Mike

DaveSmed
11-10-04, 10:59 PM
They seem to need lower ball joints and steering center links like all the Caddys of the old vintage. That's pretty straightforward to fix though. One problem they all have is how the gas tanks seem to empty like flushing the toilet. :shocked2:
Very true, especially the gas tank part, some days I swear I have a hole in the damn thing. I replaced every item in this list, and I also noticed that brake master cylinders are a common item too.

barge master
11-11-04, 06:05 AM
Those old style masters always seemed to go bad. The newer ones with a plastic reservoir hardly ever wear out.