: Seafoam technique on the 6.2

a016738
12-19-11, 02:57 PM
Hi all...Looking to do a direct feed Seafoam cleaning on my EXT in addition to using TB cleaner on the TB itself. Anyone have any specific experience with this engine and which vacuum line to use when feeding it into the engine? I've done some searches and have seen it mentioned many times but with only one detailed descriptive post where the poster fed it through the brake booster which seemed to suck a little TOO much of it through. Obviously just looking to feed enough to cause it to sputter...not to hydro-lock her or do some other manner of damage.

I know I could dump some in the tank but I'm looking to do a more targeted intake-intensive cleaning versus the injectors.

Thanks,

-John
'07 EXT

hannity
12-19-11, 03:02 PM
What exactly does this seafoam do? Does it eliminate or ease piston slap?

quattrotman
12-19-11, 06:01 PM
What exactly does this seafoam do? Does it eliminate or ease piston slap?

Seafoam removes carbon buildup in the engine but can also foul plugs and O2 sensors, your cat and other sensors. It was a good way to clean out the insides on older motors but I've heard mixed things about using it on newer vehicles. Changing your oil frequently and using synthetics is my preferred route. No, it wont help with the piston slap...damage is already done. But hey, it's normal right? Why worry about it? :)

hcvone
12-19-11, 06:57 PM
Seafoam removes carbon buildup in the engine but can also foul plugs and O2 sensors, your cat and other sensors. It was a good way to clean out the insides on older motors but I've heard mixed things about using it on newer vehicles. Changing your oil frequently and using synthetics is my preferred route. No, it wont help with the piston slap...damage is already done. But hey, it's normal right? Why worry about it? :)

I don't have piston slap, can I order it somewhere? Have a link?????

krieghoff
12-19-11, 07:13 PM
Give this a try.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Rolex
12-19-11, 07:53 PM
The most common way is to use a large vacuum line to suck up about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can. The brake booster will be in the engine compartment on the driver's side close to the windshield. Use Google for pics if you're not sure what you're looking for. I typically pull the largest vacuum line from the brake booster on modern vehicles and use a 6" piece of plastic tubing stuck into the Seafoam like a straw (the garden variety tubing you can buy at a hardware store). The vehicle's idle speed will change when you pull the vacuum line off the brake booster, this is normal. Have some slightly rev the engine while you get the "straw" close to the vacuum line to suck up the Seafoam.

When you get to about 1/3 to 1/2 the can sucked up stop revving the engine and allow the Seafoam to kill the engine. Then allow the engine to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the Seafoam to break down any carbon deposits. If the Seafoam doesn't kill the engine then turn the ignition off manually. When you restart the vehicle do it in a well ventilated area. Any carbon deposits on the intake will exit the tailpipe in the form of white smoke.

quattrotman
12-19-11, 08:41 PM
I don't have piston slap, can I order it somewhere? Have a link?????

Apparently it's a feature of our vehicles. Be patient.

hannity
12-19-11, 11:32 PM

Oh ok, when I used to be into lowriding alot of club members used to flush their engines when they would buy an old car. I don't quite understand the purpose of cleaning a motor that is only a few years old. But given that they are prehistoric ohv's anything that can be done to help the engine must be done.I guess that is why owners do it. Thanks.

luxurylife33
12-20-11, 12:34 AM
I used to swear by this stuff until I used it on my eclipse GTS. The white smoke/seafoam somehow broke down the seals in the turbo. The turbo immediately leaked oil and had to buy a new one. I will never use it again!

a016738
12-20-11, 08:39 PM
Thanks Rolex...that all makes sense. I guess the trick is to get the tubing near the vacuum line, not connected to it, so it'll suck up a reasonable amount of liquid and not drown the engine.

And to all those who were wondering, I've always been able to get Seafoam at any Autozone.