: 08 Nav problems and upgrading to 2011 system

Aerohokie
12-18-11, 11:25 PM
I just bought my 08 Escalade Platinum and today I got the map read error. It's inconsistent at best. I'm going to check with the dealer about the updates to see if it's software, but I was thinking of upgrading to the 2011 CF set up and do away with the disc altogether. Would that be a plug and play swap? Who has done it and is there anyone that can sell me the radio?

Should I not upgrade, I have found the following as causes of the map read error
1. Bad disc
2. Software update
3. Replace nav system

Does that check?

-Dave

murphy
12-18-11, 11:47 PM
Well for a tad of insight I just upgraded my recently purchased "09 Platinum with the most recent '12 version disc release with no issues. The system did perform a firmware upgrade upon insertion but works fine...You may wish to perform an upgrade as such before the hardware swap ( I don't even know if this is possible). Would be my first choice if you could get your hands on the upgraded version...

Aerohokie
12-19-11, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the tip, did you have the disc read error before you got the new disc? Where is the best place to get them? I've seen a slew on ebay that seem original.

hcvone
12-19-11, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tip, did you have the disc read error before you got the new disc? Where is the best place to get them? I've seen a slew on ebay that seem original.

It sounds like you have a bad nav unit, usually if you have a bad disc it will tell you or just reject it, I would have the dealer you just purchased your truck from make it right. :) Welcome to the forum and good luck with your truck, what you are seeing is not normal, I have not had an issue with the nav unit in any of my trucks. :)

murphy
12-19-11, 09:56 AM
As hcvone mentioned you may wish to bring it to the dealer to resolve as this may net you a new disc regardless for gratis :)
i purchased my disc off Amazon as there was no stock from the supplier but apparently there may be a sale on now at Navtech,,

Aerohokie
12-19-11, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately I bought it used from a toyota dealer. He would rather give me back my trade and call the deal off than fix the nav unit. The thing is I only paid $29.5 for an 08 platinum so I think I'm good to replace it on my own.

hcvone
12-19-11, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately I bought it used from a toyota dealer. He would rather give me back my trade and call the deal off than fix the nav unit. The thing is I only paid $29.5 for an 08 platinum so I think I'm good to replace it on my own.

Well it should be under warranty, take it to a Caddy dealer, as long as you are under 50k miles

Aerohokie
12-19-11, 04:09 PM
Well it should be under warranty, take it to a Caddy dealer, as long as you are under 50k miles

Yeah, 71k miles, it's all on me

hcvone
12-19-11, 05:54 PM
Yeah, 71k miles, it's all on me

Yep :( E-bay for a new unit

Aerohokie
12-19-11, 07:42 PM
Which brings me back to my question, is the 2011 CF nav unit a plug and play with the 08 supernav?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-20-11, 12:08 PM
Aerohokie,
If you would like to send me your VIN number I will look into this for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Aerohokie
12-20-11, 02:16 PM
Breanne,

I would be happy to, but I didn't see an email or PM link to send you anything. If you don't wish to post it, please send me and email to my screen name @hotmail.com.

-Dave

Aerohokie
12-26-11, 10:57 PM
My dealer bought me a new disc, but the update didn't help. Does anyone know if the 2011 supernav unit will plug right into a 2008?

CaMs
04-02-12, 11:13 AM
Aero - any update on this? Looking to get a 12 NAV unit for my 08. Anyone do the swap without any issues?

Soldier_Escalade
04-10-12, 11:58 PM
Im also looking to upgrade from my 20088 to a 2012 Nav. software/ disk. Im sationed in El Paso TX and in the last 4 years the East side of town has boomed and my Nav. just has me driving through the desert...lol...If anyone can help that would be great. my email is jguliman at yahoo.

Johnathan

FredS
04-11-12, 08:33 AM
Cliffhanger sheesh! I too would like to know. I don't like the idea of the drive always spinning up when I drive but don't want to mess up the disc ejecting it all the time.

WaterKing
04-12-12, 05:53 PM
I have upgraded my 2007 to a 2011 Supernav with the flash vice cd/dvd drive. Works great, is MUCH faster to update maps etc. I will say I also updated to a matching 2011 amp at the same time....so I cannot say if it will work without the amp being changed as well....I do know that the Supernav I updated to does not have the fan or big power supply/amp of the 2007. It does not get as hot as the 2007 unit nor does it seem to be incompatible with the wiring of the 2007. I did have to get it reprogrammed by the dealer to work with the 2007 and he had to use a Vin from a later model to get it to work. There were issues with the reprogramming, I just don't remember what they all were. The used unit I got was theft locked. Lockpic still works as well (reinstalled after programming by dealer).