: Anyone regret going to Continental Extreme DW's from the PS2?

Trapspeed
12-18-11, 01:00 AM
Sorry I didn't post this in the mod section because i didn't think it classified as a "modification" post but please humor me. Has anyone who has gone to the Continental tires from the PS2's regretted it? It's gonna be that time soon and i just can't picture spending all that cabbage on PS2's again if the DW's are nearly as good for about $700. cheaper a set. Let me hear your input! Thanks, all.

-Chris

needspeed
12-18-11, 02:46 PM
I put them on my Ferrari and I am happy with them for street driving. I will get another set of wheels for autox and will go with super sports. I have the DSW on my V for winter and so far so good......Steve

jb_bgg
12-18-11, 03:00 PM
You may want to take a look at the Hankook Evo's as well. Get a set of four for what two PS2's cost and they're a well-rated tire.

MarshallsCTSV
12-18-11, 04:42 PM
I replaced my PS2's on my C6 Vette with a full set of DWS's. Was amazing at the immediate difference in feel. Loved them and the wife felt much safer when driving in the rain too, (her daily driver). Was a softer ride and they seemed to stick just as well. I tend to only be a spirited driver when I get a nice turn or open road or when an import pulls up beside me! One last notable mention, The PS2's that I had were Run-flats and the DWS's were not so that definitely made a difference as well. Hope this helped.

Trapspeed
12-18-11, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Keep 'em coming.

velopod
12-18-11, 06:14 PM
DWS on my wife's Audi - excellent tires. Super quiet/smooth and very good in the rain and light snow. Sidewall a bit soft with a little loss steering response/turn in though. Can't believe they don't cost more. Not sure I'd put DWs on a V since so seriously traction limited, but $700 is a lot of coin for very little difference and they ARE a quality tire.

embassured
12-18-11, 06:58 PM
Are you asking about the summer performance DW's or the all-season DWS. An apostrophe can make difference. It looks like some may be replying about the all-season version, which I now have on the V2.

Best,
Eric

HeavyH20
12-18-11, 10:37 PM
I have the DW on my V2. Nice and light, good grip, predictable at limit, and quiet. No regrets here.

marktanner
12-19-11, 01:27 AM
I've got about 5000 miles on my summer DWs. Though the steering response is not quite as crisp as the PS2, it is now notably better than when they were new. The ride is consistently better than the PS2, and it is quieter as well. Ultimate cornering seems about equal to the PS2 in the dry, as good or better in the wet, and it seems grippier at low temperatures so far, though not a lot of experience with that yet. Best part is that there is none of that dreaded crabbing that the PS2 suffers from; completely quiet and smooth when backing and turning in freezing temperatures. They seem to be wearing quite well, and I certainly enjoyed the cost savings (and excellent warranty) with the Contis. They do suffer a bit from flat-spotting when cold, but smooth out after a few miles. If the Pilot Super Sport was available in our sizes, I would probably buy that next, and they are cheaper than the PS2 as well, but no known introduction date. The new Bridgestone SO-4 has also tested out well, and is cheaper than the PS2, though still pricier than the Conti, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience with this tire yet. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the Conti.

Trapspeed
12-19-11, 10:40 AM
Sweet. Thanks again. Embassured, I am asking about the DW tire, thanks. Living down here pretty much eliminates the need for all seasons!

Caddyscat
12-22-11, 02:39 PM
I put the DW's on my V a while ago. MUCH quieter! About 20% softer sidewalls, Turn-in is not as responsive BUT, much smoother. Oh and they've lasted about 20k miles LONGER then the PS2's. Give them a try. I heard the hankooks are just tires, nothing special.

thunder gray
12-22-11, 05:59 PM
How much are the Conti's DWs costing (255/40/19 and the 285/35/19) ?

Bigron
12-22-11, 07:07 PM
How much are the Conti's DWs costing (235/40/19 and the 285/35/19) ?

I thought stock was 255 front?
$250 each fronts, $300 for rears

Check out this site if you have never heard of it..... all sorts of good info
http://www.tirerack.com

thunder gray
12-22-11, 07:23 PM
Bigron, you are correct thank you!

digital1021
12-22-11, 07:50 PM
About the S-04's, I just put a set on my Coupe. Cost $1600 installed from Discount Tire including replacement plans.

So far I am really happy with them, they seem more linear in grip than the PS2's, and handle the colder weather better. I chose them based on the fact that Tire Rack rated them 2nd to the Super Sports, and they were less than getting the PS2's.

Granted in DFW and Austin, my two ports of call, we don't get a lot of winter weather, but temps are regularly below 40F this time of year. Previously with the PS2's, once it got around 40, traction was severely limited. The S-04's seem to be handling the cold much better. Once it starts to snow/ice here I'll park it and take the truck.

-Matt

baabootoo
12-23-11, 12:36 AM
Heck no! I drove almost identical in 2011 to 2010 when the PS2s were new. They were worn by out by the end of summer. The DWs still have plenty of tread left for another summer, or two. I couldn't notice a bit of steering difference in my driving which included high speed tracks, and shorter ones also. You'll love them!

b4z
12-25-11, 07:05 PM
Keep in mind that your firestone dealer will match Internet prices. I paid $1379 for RE-11s 245/19 and 275/19 on my GTO.

phickson
01-02-12, 01:08 PM
I put Continental summer DW's on my sedan a couple of months ago, replacing the original Michelin PS/2s. I very much like the ride, handling and looks of the Conti's compared to the Michelin's. The tires do have flat spots which even out after a couple of miles.

Here is what sums there tires up for me - I have never heard my wife ever make a tire comment, but the other day she said, "those tires on your V look great." That's something I just never thought I'd hear from her.

RC51V2
01-03-12, 02:06 AM
Just put a set of DW's on my V2, and had the wheels black-chromed at the same time. Bout $1,400 mounted and balanced, tax, replacement certificate, etc... out the door for the tires. Have about 1,000 miles on them now. Only drove 2x in the rain so far but my initial impressions were equal to or better than the PS2's. They ride WAY better on small bumps and are much smoother. Little harder hit on big bumps. Lot quieter. Night and day difference there and if you drive freeway or highway you will definitely like. Dry traction seems equal. Steering is a less sharp than before, but the CTS V has somewhat numb steering feel anyway. Not quite as good on slalom type activities but seem to let go pretty predictably on hard corners. Haven't tracked em yet so can't say in that regard. Look good on the car - as good or better than PS2's. If the Supersport was available in our OEM size I would buy in heartbeat. But until that day - for the cost - no hesitation on getting DW's over the PS2's or recommending them for the same reasons.

Rule12b
01-03-12, 12:38 PM
I ran the Contis. They do not grip at all like the PS2's but they ride just fine and are much quieter than both the PS2 and WAY quieter than the Super Sports IMO. If they made a 305, I'd still run them.

Trapspeed
01-03-12, 09:48 PM
Excellent. Thanks everyone.

MrMaschine
01-03-12, 10:49 PM
I noticed a huge difference thank goodness Conti had a trial period, PS2 wear fast and are more money but its a big variance when your driving spirited. cruising you wont notice.

i posted a review months back. do a search.

Rockey
01-03-12, 11:15 PM
I ran the Contis. They do not grip at all like the PS2's but they ride just fine and are much quieter than both the PS2 and WAY quieter than the Super Sports IMO. If they made a 305, I'd still run them.

When you say they do not grip like the PS2's, do you mean staight line acceleration or cornering or both? Curious why everyone else rated dry traction equal. I'm more than happy to hear both sides of the story before I make my mind up and am about 2 beers past using the search function :)

Rule12b
01-04-12, 02:30 AM
When you say they do not grip like the PS2's, do you mean staight line acceleration or cornering or both? Curious why everyone else rated dry traction equal. I'm more than happy to hear both sides of the story before I make my mind up and am about 2 beers past using the search function :) I meant to say I'm not as comfortable exploring their limits. I think the sidewall is a little softer so the car feels a tad less sure-footed in rapid transitions and higher cornering loads. Straight line I didnt notice much difference.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-04-12, 08:12 AM
I'm dreading the day (coming soon) that the tires need replaced. I cringe when I feel the back end break loose and spin tires knowing that I just laid a few bucks down on the pavement. I'll probably shoot for the Conti's from what is being reported here. Not only saving some money but the better, quieter ride is appealing and if they otherwise are reasonably equal to the PS2's, then they should suit the car just fine. I bought the car to have fun with....and do, every chance I get!

SPEED74V
01-04-12, 04:19 PM
I just had the RE-11's put on today and I really like them!! 265/35/19 front & 305/30/19 rear

mbshoe
01-05-12, 03:53 PM
I put EXTREME CONTACT DW on my V 14 months ago, and unlike both the PS2 and Hankook Ventus V12 before, the Continentals have lasted twice as long. I'll buy them again. In my opinion, the Continentals don't have the ultimate grip of the PS2 (neither did the Hankooks), but for more than twice the lifetime, I'll accept a fraction less grip.

Trapspeed
01-05-12, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a consensus about these tires. I think I've made up my mind. I just can't justify a set of tires that costs $800.00 more than the Continentals for slightly more performance.

phickson
01-07-12, 08:47 AM
I would recommend Tire Rack.com for the tire purchase. 3 months ago I bought my Conti Extreme Contact DW tires through them.

255/40ZR-19 $510.00 for 2
285/35ZR-19 $570.00 for 2
Shipping to Pep Boys $50.00
Pep Boy Install $100.00

For a total of about $1300.00

And the tires are great for how most of us drive