: 2000 STS leaking Oil

Thunda
11-06-04, 08:13 PM
I need help! my wife's 2000 STS has started to leak oil. We first noticed a spot here and there in the driveway. Now the smell of burning oil is present. I looked under the vehicle (I'm no mechanic) and noticed that the oil pan has oil dripping from it mostly near the bolts. Has anyone had the same problem? if so how much of a cost for repair are we looking at.

Thanks

chazglenn3
11-06-04, 09:43 PM
There is a Technical Service Bulletin 67-61-07 that says to put Loctite on the oil pan bolts for this problem and torque them to 85 in lbs. This is for the 1996 Seville, but should take care of the problem with your car.

BeelzeBob
11-07-04, 03:01 AM
You really need to get the car on a hoist and see exactly where the leak is. The 2000 engines had a number of sealing changes and it is pretty usual for one to leak oil like that and especially to suddenly start leaking oil. I would double check the oil filter adapter and seals or even the oil filter itself. It is possible that at the last oil change there was a filter installed that has a poor seal or something. The oil from the oil filter adapter will run down onto the pan bolts and blow back from the "front" side of the engine and make it look like the whole engine is leaking. I even saw one time a bad oil that started after an oil change that was caused by the filter having two rubber gaskets. When the previous filter was removed the old seal stuck to the oil filter mating surface and the oil changer person did not notice and ran the new filter onto the adapter such that the new oil filter seated onto the old filters rubber gasket that was still stuck to the mating surface. It is impossible to diagnose what is wrong causing the leak without getting under the engine and doing some diagnosis. A dealer can put florescent dye in the oil that makes the leak immediately visible with a black light that greatly expedites the process.

Thunda
11-07-04, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info, we did just have the oil changed not long ago. I will also have the bolts looked at.

eldorado1
11-07-04, 01:30 PM
I even saw one time a bad oil that started after an oil change that was caused by the filter having two rubber gaskets. When the previous filter was removed the old seal stuck to the oil filter mating surface and the oil changer person did not notice and ran the new filter onto the adapter such that the new oil filter seated onto the old filters rubber gasket that was still stuck to the mating surface.

This is a VERY common problem. My dad's done it twice now... Both times involved large oil leaks, and the oil pan going dry. Learn from the mistakes of others - I check EVERY time I change the oil... but then, I suppose 99% of you guys don't change your own oil :hide: