: water pump gph

miniman1
12-16-11, 05:14 PM
I have been trying to find out the gph of the stock water pump on a 1975 500 cu. in. caddy engine. Is there anyone out there who might be able to answer this. Trying to add an electric pump to the system in my hot rod to help the cooling.

BRUCE ROE
12-16-11, 07:13 PM
I have been trying to find out the gph of the stock water pump on a 1975 500 cu. in. caddy engine. Is there anyone out there who might be able to answer this. Trying to add an electric pump to the system in my hot rod to help the cooling.
Electric pumps are poor competition to belt driven, I would concentrate on a clean cooling system,
a REALLY GOOD 4 row radiator, perhaps a "wetter" additive, and maybe some electric fans to help
when stopped at idle. You have the 7 blade clutched factory fan with shroud, and an overflow tank?

Bruce Roe

The Ape Man
12-18-11, 10:52 AM
I'm with Bruce. The 500 is relatively easy to cool if all the pieces are sized properly. More flow may not make any difference.

Been there.

You can take advantage of the extra cooling system loop used for heat. Rear of passenger side cylinder head fitting returning to radiator below fill cap.

If room for radiator size is a problem an aux cooler could put you over the top.

Also make sure the spark advance and ignition timing are not causing extra heat by being retarded.

drmenard
12-19-11, 08:08 PM
84091Let me add this... Get a flow cooler waterpump, it makes all the differance...It has a closed impeller, looks like this.Years back napa sold one that looked like this too...