: Brake Performance Rotors and Pad Change

trich24
12-16-11, 11:51 AM
I saw the other thread Darren Aerocoupe put up a few months ago but was busy with a move and decided I'd post my findings

After seeing his input and doing some research on my own I too decided that Brake Performance gave me the most value for the product I wanted. Started hearing some sequels and planning a small trip so wanted the brakes in top shape

I ended up with the Dimpled and Slotted Rotors and upgraded to the Premium Ceramics just a phone call they push the semi-metallic on the site and I like the ceramics better for a few reasons. Spent $413 I think they had a special of some sort so try and get the price matched if its higher

If you don't know they Lifetime warranty the rotors against cracking and warping. They zinc plate the rotors which can take 2 days this is also what (Baer, Brembo, and Stillen do a + for me) it took 5 days from order to delivery. I opted for the black zinc coating the heat dissipates most of it as I will show once I pull the tire off again just finished them last night that the black will just fill in the slots/dimples and the hub they say 25 mi but all I had to do was bed them in for most of the black to go away. I also changed brake fluid which was necessary after seeing the brown stuff I was pumping out

So far they look great which I was going for. They definitively seem better than the setup I had on with some select ceramic pads. The pedal feel is great almost seems a bit higher than before and very steady from 50-5 no judder or feedback it just stops! I couldn't be happier would definitively recommend anyone thinking about changing brakes to give them a shot. For the money I couldn't find anything better unless you go to a big brake kit this seems like a great stock replacement and looks a thousand time better. I have the 18's on now and they are dirty so no pictured with the wheels on but with the 22's It will look awesome cant wait

I'll have more once I drive with them and just bedding them in. Any specific ?'s ask away more than happy to check on anything for you guys

When I was researching it took me to the Tahoe and Suburban forums so hopefully we have a resource on our site the covers what we need.

If you need install instructions I can send a link but its 4 bolts on each wheel. 2 for the caliper then 2 for the bracket. There's also some videos I found I can send your way

hcvone
12-16-11, 03:15 PM
They look good, and a nice write up. :) Just put some EBC rotors and their yellow pads on my 07' I picked up, HUGE difference

Rich909
12-16-11, 11:06 PM
I like the way the black zinc looks, too bad they won't stay that color permanently.

quattrotman
12-17-11, 01:21 AM
Nice write up. Just bought the same thing myself and will be throwing them on during the holidays. Question: how bad was it to get the caliper carrier bolts off so you can get the rotors off? I've read you need to heat them as they are hella tight (I guess there's some factory locktite on there too). I can't wait to get mine on. My current setup is juddering with high speed stops and drives me nuts.

trich24
12-19-11, 12:33 PM
Here is a quick update after the truck got a bath this weekend. You can see them a little thru the 18's. I will have to take the wheel off and snap one but you can tell they are back to the silver with some black in the dimples and slots

quattrotman: I only had a 3/8 wrench and sockets and a few wrenches that and a rubber mallet it just took some muscles which isn't something I have a lot of :) but didn't have any issues and then the fronts had a t-20 hex screw holding the rotor in place I hit with my 3/8 impact to make sure i didn't strip it but it came out easy on the back they had put two metal rings to hold it in place on the studs which i pried off with a small screwdriver then the rubber mallet against the rotor a few times broke the rust free with not much effort.

fyi I would re-lube your slide bolts in the caliber bracket. My rears had no grease left and the fronts very little and if I did it again I would have spent the time to repaint the calibers black as you can tell they look like crap against the wheels and a nice looking rotor being all gray

I watched this once to get an idea on what was entailed and what tools I might need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5W0_rx0_YQ

quattrotman
12-19-11, 02:54 PM
Thank you for this very helpful thread.:thumbsup:

NC_Tech007
04-12-12, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the review! How are they holding up? I just ordered my set (slotted & dimpled) as well but after doing some research I opted for the semi-metallic pads instead. I read that although Ceramic pads are quieter and dust less, it's not as favorable on heavier and bigger cars. How are your ceramic pads holding up? Also, did you apply any anti-squeal on the pad backing plate?

Thanks!

MrHolland
04-12-12, 08:50 PM
I purchased the same set of rotors and ceramic pads for one of my cars. I'm quite pleased thus far. Two things Ive noticed. Under heavy braking there is a little bit more noise, no squeaking but more of a lower pitched growling sound. Certainly not a problem for me, in fact I like it. Sounds like theyre working lol. Secondly, these rotors do generate quite a bit more dust due to the slots and dimples. I'm glad I opt'd for the ceramic pads. I didnt use any anti squeal lubricant or any other product on the actual pads or calipers. I did the brake job as I always have, the only difference is the rotors. Overall I'm very pleased. Especially since they warranty them against cracking or warping. If my wife can't warp these rotors, they are a quality product!!!! I will definitely use them on my other cars as it becomes time to replace the brakes. IMHO, they are a very cost effective factory upgrade. Don't expect "Big Brake" performance though, that is not what they are.

NC_Tech007
05-09-12, 01:48 PM
I purchased the same set of rotors and ceramic pads for one of my cars. I'm quite pleased thus far. Two things Ive noticed. Under heavy braking there is a little bit more noise, no squeaking but more of a lower pitched growling sound. Certainly not a problem for me, in fact I like it. Sounds like theyre working lol. Secondly, these rotors do generate quite a bit more dust due to the slots and dimples. I'm glad I opt'd for the ceramic pads. I didnt use any anti squeal lubricant or any other product on the actual pads or calipers. I did the brake job as I always have, the only difference is the rotors. Overall I'm very pleased. Especially since they warranty them against cracking or warping. If my wife can't warp these rotors, they are a quality product!!!! I will definitely use them on my other cars as it becomes time to replace the brakes. IMHO, they are a very cost effective factory upgrade. Don't expect "Big Brake" performance though, that is not what they are.

I've had some time with my semi-metallic pads and the front rotors and they are holding up good so far! Bedded them in by doing some 70 to 25mph stops and then 60-25, 40 to 25. That was when they got dusty but after that period they wore in like normal. Pedal modulation feels predictable and linear with these pads which was a nice plus. Previous pads didn't seem to grab initially and then all of a sudden grab a bunch. I'm not expecting a BBK performance, and even so, a BBK itself doesn't change MUCH as it's more-so designed for higher heat capacity and a stiffer caliper. It's really the pad that determines the friction.

Only thing I wish I did was went with the black rotors (http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/Premium-Dimpled-and-Slotted-Brake-Rotors.php) the OP went with. I went with the silver ones :crying2:

MrHolland
05-09-12, 10:39 PM
I opted for the black rotors also. Don't be mislead though, the black wears off by the time the pads are bedded. (where the pads contact the rotors) I'm quite pleased with them and Would recommend them as a factory upgrade!!