: Basic mods to increase HP and MPG..

mbdubb2361
12-16-11, 01:27 AM
Just looking for some basic ideas to help increase HP and MPG. Maybe a cold air intake and the GF chip I see advertised on this site. Not looking for a big overhaul just something simple and clean.

K9Caddy
12-16-11, 01:34 AM
There is no, "chip". I'd try the Diablosport tuner and a cat-back exhaust. IMO, B&B makes the best sounding cat-back.

hcvone
12-16-11, 08:52 AM
Yea B&B is the best sounding exhaust, maybe a little bold for some, but I have had many systems and have or will have B&B on all my trucks. The new Intune from Diablosports makers of Preditor, looks kind of like an IPhone it controls even the trans fully now, and without footprints on your stock computer, of course any programming can/will void your warranty. Have no found a good air intake since GM changed the MAF type, I use a gutted stock air box, with 2007 Volant plastic tube and AFE cotton filter dry. Long tube headers from Kooks or ARH are other good choices depending on what you are looking for

48Dodge
12-16-11, 12:04 PM
I've been able to get my mpg up near stock levels just recently by changing plugs and cleaning out the intake manifold really well. I was getting 8 or 9 mpg in the city and now I'm getting about 12.5 according to the computer. I also run my tires around 40psi. Also, you have to do the math to figure out when the increase in mpg is going to make sense for the mods you do if you just wanted fuel efficiency. If you drop $1000 and increase mpg by 1, it's going to take a long time before you're making money on your investment.

quattrotman
12-17-11, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=48Dodge;2801008 Also, you have to do the math to figure out when the increase in mpg is going to make sense for the mods you do if you just wanted fuel efficiency. If you drop $1000 and increase mpg by 1, it's going to take a long time before you're making money on your investment.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. It`s tough to make any changes that will really make any difference and when you factor in the cost it takes a long time to recoup that investment. Best way to improve mpg...stop matting it at the stop lights. Yeah, I can`t do it either. :)

hcvone
12-17-11, 08:11 AM
Well the name on the thread is HP & MPG and of course the two really don't go together, but light mods should not really hurt your mileage, just will not help it unless you are changing things like dirty air filters

Manic
12-17-11, 11:31 AM
The trouble with mods is you tend to "use them", otherwise, all things being equal, they can improve your mileage.

mbdubb2361
12-21-11, 12:51 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I just installed a K&N cold air intake and loving the sound. Looking into that B&B system. Thanks again..

Naf
12-26-11, 08:36 AM
You want the best mods that yeild most mpg

Intake, headers, tb spacer from Jet performance, proper dyno tune, bocsh 4508 sparkplugs with moroso ultra 40 wires, and a voltage regulator (D1 spec works for me). If you want more after that then get a catback and cam.

The catback on our cars are no needed unless you break the 450hp range. If you just want noise go forit, but there are no substitues for proper headers and hf cats.

Stay away from the handheld tuners, is the same price asa proper tune, and all they do is richen your mixture...Not really a proper tune

Now you have to watch out for pressin that pedal harder, that kills your mileage.

K9Caddy
12-26-11, 01:09 PM
I'd have to disagree with you on a few things...

1) The TB spacer, I'd like to see dyno results on that, because all I've ever read is those things reduce power.

2) Bosch plugs and Moroso wires, there is nothing wrong with the stock ones.

3) Depends which handheld tuner you are talking about? I have the Diablosport, but have a custom tune installed according to my driving parameters.

Naf
12-26-11, 02:48 PM
I'd have to disagree with you on a few things...

1) The TB spacer, I'd like to see dyno results on that, because all I've ever read is those things reduce power.

2) Bosch plugs and Moroso wires, there is nothing wrong with the stock ones.

3) Depends which handheld tuner you are talking about? I have the Diablosport, but have a custom tune installed according to my driving parameters.

Actually there is a huge difference with performance and efficiency. As for the spacer I have to admit at cruise I have gain better mileage and it does drop into v4 more often.

Diablo isn't half as good as efilive or up tuner could ever be.

K9Caddy
12-27-11, 03:49 AM
Have any true numbers or is that the "butt dyno" test? Yes, the Diablo alone is not gonna be as good as a canned tuned. You can get custom tunes done on the diablo, which makes a world of difference.

b4z
01-02-12, 03:36 PM
If you want to increase hwy mileage go from 3.42 to 3.08 gears. It should help by at least 1 mpg. The 6.2l should have enou tq to minimize downshifts unlike the gmt 90os with the 5.3l.

48548m
01-03-12, 12:18 AM
I use a trinity with a custom tune and like it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk