: Can Someone PLEASE help me. I cant figure it out.

shortfur7
12-15-11, 05:58 PM
OK...........so i know there are alot of threads about people having steering problems but i cant find one that helps to answer my problem.

The issue that im having is the following.

At a stand still it is really hard to turn the wheel at all so i will put it in nutral and when i get about 1500rpms it turns very easy. I will then let off the gas and let it idle down and it will continue to be easy to turn. I will then rev it again and this time it will get hard to turn this time.

Next when driving i will be coming up to a corner and it will be really hard to turn then halfway through the corner it will get really easy again.

We have went through 2 power steering pumps and it hasn't fixed the problem yet. Were thinking of the rack next but i didnt know if its possibly the rack with it being intermittent like that. Its almost like its an electrical issue or something along those lines. There is a set of wires that goes down to the rack and plugs in to something that looks like a servo. We just dont want to do the rack if we dont need to cause its $500.

The car is a 2005 STS N* without the steering assist.

Can anyone help me out please? I cant really drive it safely cause of the intermittent problem and its my daily driver :(

Greg00coupe
12-15-11, 06:18 PM
Others can chime in with actual STS experience but that is exactly how my rack went out on a Buick.

shortfur7
12-15-11, 06:39 PM
actually i might just replace the rack because i went on advance auto website and they have a coupon code for 20% off so it will only cost me $175.11

scott9001
12-15-11, 08:33 PM
this is what my deville was like when the rack went out of it! the bearing in the bottom had blew apart, it was also intermitant like this!