: Question about high speed vibration

DiamondWhtV
12-15-11, 12:19 PM
Since the vehicle was new, I had a steering wheel vibration that begins around 65-70 mph and gets progressively worse as speed increases. I was told that this was the nature of the PS2 tires. I have since replaced the tires with the EVO V-12 and still experience this issue. Dealer just replaced one of the front wheel bearings for low speed noise, but the vibration still continues.

My question is...is this normal for these types of tires and is there a better tire to remove the vibration. Or...is this just a characteristic of the vehicle itself. To be honest, I would never attempt to drive over a 100 mph on a track with this type of vibration.

This is my daily driver and most of the time is in town driving. When I am on the highway, my speed is generally 70 and under, so the vibration is just enough to be annoying at times. But when passing (or some spirited driving) the vibration is pretty pronounced as I pick up speed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

----------

Okay...jumped the gun here. Based the contined vibration on the dealers comments. After road testing again with the new wheel bearing and rotors turned due to brake pulsation....all vibration is gone. The only thing felt now is the normal road noise.

I am satisfied now.

Moderators can delete this post.

cts-v ls6
12-15-11, 10:07 PM
I have high speed vibration on my 2010 V2 at about 78 MPH. The tires are balanced, so I'm wondering if the rotors need to be turned (car has 42k miles)

Did you have all 4 rotors turned, or just the front 2?

Thanks,

Jack

DiamondWhtV
12-16-11, 10:53 AM
Hi Jack,

No just the front. I had a pulsation upon light braking at highway speeds and one of the front rotors was warped.

But the wheel bearing I believe was the culprit. I had the highway vibration long before the rotor warped. When I first complained I had about 5,000 miles on it and the dealer said it was normal tire vibration. Took the dealers word and when I replaced the tires at 24.0k the vibration was still there. And after about 29.0k miles it was very severe and took it back to the dealer. After the wheel bearing was replaced the vibration was gone.

M5eater
12-16-11, 02:44 PM
Mine had it, Sigma and Zeta platforms seem to have a lot of drivetrain vibrations.

Mine turned out to be the rear diff flange being out of specification. If your tires are balanced and pass a road-force, the next part to check are the mechanical spinning parts..

it didn't totally cure mine, but it's 80-90% resolved, I forgot it was there until this thread brought it up again .