: Another tire question

dan1166
12-14-11, 09:12 PM
I have a 2006 STS V6 that I purchased new. It now has 33,000 miles on it. I cannot keep the front tires from wearing on the inside, especially the left side. The car came with 18 inch wheels and stargered sizes. The rears are wider than the front, making it impossible to rotate.

The dealer checked the alignment several times, but it is always in spec. The car does not drift or pull. The car tracks straight even if you let go of the steering wheel.

I am thinking of installing 4 new tires but all the same size so I can rotate. I checked the wheels for width and offset. The front and rear are identical.

Has anyone out there tried all the same size tire? The AWD version, comes with all the same size tire. Also, are there any better choices than the original Michelin's? They ride hard and are very noisey. I could use some opinions on this one. Please help.

Thanks

Dan, The STS Man

Cadjiek
12-14-11, 09:45 PM
Do yourself a favor for comfort and safety sake. Get a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS. My original Michelins only lasted 15,000 dangerous miles. They were hard and noisy. My front left front tire also had extreme wear on the inside but not the front right. I thought maybe it was due to the defective upper and lower control arms that my car was assembled with. The DWS have 10,000 miles on them and show very little wear and none on the inside. Last winter there was a big improvement in the snow and no more 180 degree spin outs!!

dan1166
12-14-11, 11:13 PM
What is your opinion of all the same size tire. This way I can rotate.

malatu
12-14-11, 11:18 PM
I just purchased Continental Extreme Contact DSW ... Love em'. I don't know for a fact, but I think I've read here on the forum that it same size all around won't make a bit of difference.

MacMuse
12-14-11, 11:27 PM
I use the same size on mine, no problems since I went to Blizzaks & separate summer tires. Rotate once per 'season' usually.

jedhead
12-15-11, 01:27 AM
I rotate my tires side to side since I have 18" wheels in the front and 19" in rear. I rotate the tires once at 5000miles and usually have to replace them at 10000miles. I had DWS Extremes and they lasted the longest in the rear at 12,500 miles. I got 60 percent off for the replacement, but I decided to go with summer tires since I don't get any snow or ice where I live.

Bob

CTBB
12-15-11, 03:17 PM
I have a 2006 STS V6 that I purchased new. It now has 33,000 miles on it. I cannot keep the front tires from wearing on the inside, especially the left side. The car came with 18 inch wheels and stargered sizes. The rears are wider than the front, making it impossible to rotate.

The dealer checked the alignment several times, but it is always in spec. The car does not drift or pull. The car tracks straight even if you let go of the steering wheel.

I am thinking of installing 4 new tires but all the same size so I can rotate. I checked the wheels for width and offset. The front and rear are identical.

Has anyone out there tried all the same size tire? The AWD version, comes with all the same size tire. Also, are there any better choices than the original Michelin's? They ride hard and are very noisey. I could use some opinions on this one. Please help.

Thanks

Dan, The STS Man

Dan, first time I've heard of staggered size tires F/R without the wider wheel on the rear. Weird!? If all the same width I would definitely go with 4 matching size replacements. I'll chime in on the Conti DWS as well, a nice step up in traction from the incredibly hard, slippery Michelins. They also have the nice rim protection shoulder (for lack of a better term) to shield your rims from curb damage.

Glenn

Greg00coupe
12-15-11, 06:24 PM
Once upon a time before I noticed they where staggered I rotated front to back. Me bad. Anyway never noticed a difference. I too measured the wheel width, no diff. Took it to the tire store had them measure, no difference. I went with the smaller sized front tires all around. Got some Korean made tire $600 for 4. 20K later they are still in decent shape. Tires are over rated.

dan1166
12-15-11, 08:27 PM
Hello Cadjiek;

When you switched from the Original Michelins to the Continental DWS, did you notice any hum in the tire. The reason I ask, is because I found a picture of the tread design on line. They look like half a snow tire and half summer tire. They seem pretty aggressive. That is why I question the hum.Thanks again.
Do yourself a favor for comfort and safety sake. Get a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS. My original Michelins only lasted 15,000 dangerous miles. They were hard and noisy. My front left front tire also had extreme wear on the inside but not the front right. I thought maybe it was due to the defective upper and lower control arms that my car was assembled with. The DWS have 10,000 miles on them and show very little wear and none on the inside. Last winter there was a big improvement in the snow and no more 180 degree spin outs!!

malatu
12-15-11, 08:38 PM
Once upon a time before I noticed they where staggered I rotated front to back. Me bad. Anyway never noticed a difference. I too measured the wheel width, no diff. Took it to the tire store had them measure, no difference. I went with the smaller sized front tires all around. Got some Korean made tire $600 for 4. 20K later they are still in decent shape. Tires are over rated.

Never skimp on your shoes, tires or mattress.... You spend much of your lifetime on one of the three!

Cadjiek
12-15-11, 09:01 PM
Dan, I was worried about the same thing. However, these tires have turned out to be the quietest tire i think I have ever owned. They have also improved the ride alot. I also wanted to mention that I kept the staggered setup.

Cadjiek

EChas3
12-15-11, 10:00 PM
Funny, these cars usually wear the outside shoulders of the front tires when the tires aren't rotated. They 'hold' alignments well but tires this wide will often wear unevenly. When it was time to change my OEM POS staggered Michelins, I chose the Conti DWS 235/50R18's on all four corners and rotate at every oil change (by the OLM ~ 8,000 miles).

Smiling Jack
12-15-11, 10:03 PM

Greg,

Would those "Korean" tires Hankooks ? Several have posted favorably here about those.

I saw a set of Hankooks recently, mounted on over-sized custom wheels on a new CTS on my dealer's showroom floor.

dan1166
12-27-11, 07:19 PM
Okay, one more question. After doing some tire research on Tire Rack.com, I came across another possible choice. Kumho, Ecsta, LX Platinum. It seems to have some better numbers than the Conti DWS, but has anyone really tried this tire. It is a Grand Touring All Season tire, and how does it compare to the OE, Hard riding, noisy Michelins? Thanks again.

Dan, The STS Man

Hoosier24
12-28-11, 11:35 AM
just chiming in here, went with pirelli scorpion snow tires in 235/45/18s all the way around w no probs.

dkozloski
12-28-11, 11:55 AM
My '06 AWD STS has staggered wheel sizes front and rear that even a blind man could tell; 7.5 inches wide in the front and 8 inches in the rear option Q13. It also has staggered tire sizes front and rear option Q11. That being said, I use the same size Blizzaks all the way around in the winter but with the staggered wheels in the correct location. The wheel width is cast into the metal of the wheel spokes on the inside if you don't know how to interpret the marks on a measuring stick.

cadillacmike68
12-30-11, 12:49 AM
Okay, one more question. After doing some tire research on Tire Rack.com, I came across another possible choice. Kumho, Ecsta, LX Platinum. It seems to have some better numbers than the Conti DWS, but has anyone really tried this tire. It is a Grand Touring All Season tire, and how does it compare to the OE, Hard riding, noisy Michelins? Thanks again.

Dan, The STS Man

I have 18" Khumo's on my 2009 STS 235mm front and 255mm rear. They are quiet and sure footed. I've only had the car 6 or so weeks, so can't comment on tread life yet.

----------

just chiming in here, went with pirelli scorpion snow tires in 235/45/18s all the way around w no probs.

That's too small a tire, especially the rear.

EChas3
12-30-11, 04:03 PM
20mm = 3/4". If at all noticable, the smaller tire would be quieter & ride softer versus the wider tire with more dry traction & stiffer sidewall.

Hoosier24
12-30-11, 09:55 PM
20mm = 3/4". If at all noticable, the smaller tire would be quieter & ride softer versus the wider tire with more dry traction & stiffer sidewall.
true that

dkozloski
12-30-11, 10:20 PM
The narrower the tire the better the handling in snow. Wide tires float over snow like hydroplaning on water. Playing in the snow at 70+MPH I've had a pickup making tracks only a few inches deep in a foot of powdery snow and I was completely out of control

Hoosier24
01-03-12, 08:52 AM
This is the first winter I've had the car. I had great luck with the Pirelli Scorpions on my Mercury Marauder so I wanted to stick with those tires and would have gone narrower if the size would been available. I have them on the oem rims for now until I find a new/used set of wheels I really like and can afford.