Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Areas to look at while doing a HG repair

777 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know if I sift through these threads I should be able to find the answers. I know there are no easy answers, but all I ask for are simple answers.
I have my northstar out of the car for a HG repair (hopefully with Jakes studs) that I plan to do myself. The engine has 107K miles on it. I”m not trying to build a performer, just want to enjoy more summers with the car.
What else should I be looking at while its out? Common problems/issues? Things I should do just because? I don’t want to bother anyone too much, but I”d appreciate any input, but. Thanks!

#2 ·
If only the HG is bad then only do repairs on the top half. Bottom half of a Northstar is near bulletproof. Unless you are trying to fix a halfcase leak (if you have one), you don't have to touch anything in the bottom.

Inspect for cracked blocks. Not common but needs to be inspected when it's out.
Inspect for worn flat tappet lifters and cams. If worn they need to be replaced.

Once you get the HG fixed then the engine should outlast the car.

#3 ·
With a 98, I'm willing to bet he has a halfcase leak.....

even if you are fixing a halfcase leak, DON'T TOUCH THE ROD BOLTS!!! You might also consider replacing the rear oil seal if it's leaking....they often do....you need a special tool to do it...but there are usually a couple on ebay.

Also, replace the front crank bolt...they tend to break the second time around. Inspect the cam chain guides....but they usually last 200K+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.