: Motor Trend Staff Luv the Vagon

elphil
12-14-11, 04:22 PM
Comments from MT staffers other then the guy testing it for a year. One staff member says: I. Love. This. Car. Putting it simply, if this car was a woman I'd marry it.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/let-the-others-get-some-what-my-colleagues-are-saying-about-the-caddy-cts-v-sport-wagon-19691.html

FLTRI
12-15-11, 03:34 PM
Nice. I tend to agree...

M5eater
12-16-11, 03:46 PM
Why do car mags go crazy for wagons? Nice read about the Vagon though.

Speedtrapped
12-16-11, 07:40 PM
why? if a AoA ever got its act together, I would drop huge coin on an RS6 Avant. The wagon is so unique looking, I have been stopped by 4 diff drivers, 2 in M3's that said they thought the wagon was wicked....its like a hot eastern European women circa 90', beautiful, different w/ hairy armpits....but you know u still would.

JimmyH
12-16-11, 08:58 PM
Why do car mags go crazy for wagons? Nice read about the Vagon though.

Because it's ridiculous. There is no purpose for it whatsoever. Which is why they like it so much. One of the few things I agree with them on.

FLTRI
12-17-11, 04:20 AM
Because it's ridiculous...

Exactly.

That's what I tell friends when they ask me why I bought a 556HP station wagon.

I just tell them I got it because it's ridiculous...

anorexicpoodle
12-17-11, 10:08 PM
I was at a LeMons event at Buttonwillow BS'ing with a bunch of auto journalists at the penalty tent, and the sentiments shared by the Motor trend guys are echoed by pretty much every auto rag there is.

Honestly, i HATED Cadillacs, and most of GM for years, my family had owned numerous GM cars and ALL of them had been heaping, steaming piles of crap, FWD transverse V8's, transverse V6's, and the like in all their suck-tastic glory. I went so far as to buy my mother a used Lexus just to end the lineage of POS cadillacs she has owned. I always knew there was a lot of talent SOMEWHERE at GM, but most of it was kept chained up in the basement designing things that would never see the light of day, and anything good that came out was still marred by numerous accountant-induced quality issues (most of this is backed up in Bob Lutz's book "Car guys vs Bean Counters" which is an awesome read btw), but with every model year that passed, you could see there was serious potential hiding in the halls at GM, and I just kept hoping one day they would get their shit together.

When they released the C5 Z06 I was impressed, but not enough to give them money. The car was still not something i would pony up new-car money for.

When they released the C6 Z06, I salivated a little bit, but again it isn't a car that would make me run to the dealership and pony up new-car money (i would buy one used but this sentiment doesn't matter to GM since if no-one buys it new, there wont be any used ones). Its a car I would rather have purchased new by a balding lawyer having a mid-life crisis, and have him sell it to me lightly used when he resolves the stiff suspension hurts his back and the low entry is hard on him.

Then they announced the CTS-V gen 2, and immediately I was smitten. I wanted one, but again, not new. The warranty still sucked and the depreciation on comparable Cadillacs again said "Buy used and drive it till the doors fall off of it"....

....And then something happened....they announced the V-Wagon....pure lust is too mild a term to describe my desire for this car, and some quick back of the envelope math told me that this car wont last 2-3 model years, so GM MAY manufacture 1200 examples of it EVER. Of those maybe 5% will have the exact option combination i want, which means my chances of finding the car I want used were worse than my chances of being struck by lightning while simultaneously being run over by Jay Leno. It would be the unicorn of used cars. A myth. The kind of car your cousins girlfriends brother once saw that one time at a shopping mall. I resolved that for these reasons I had to buy new, I say I had to because:

1: Not owning the car simply wasn't an option.

2: It was the only way I would get exactly what I wanted.

3: GM did something right, and it wasn't just a little right, it was stupendous, and I need to vote with my dollars and tell them “Yes GM I like what you’re doing here, take my money, and if you keep doing stuff JUST LIKE THIS and maybe there will be more of it in the future for you”. In the end it doesn't matter how many car pundits love a car, if none of them buy it. Manufacturers respond to money.

M5eater
12-17-11, 10:41 PM
I was at a LeMons event at Buttonwillow BS'ing with a bunch of auto journalists at the penalty tent, and the sentiments shared by the Motor trend guys are echoed by pretty much every auto rag there is.

Honestly, i HATED Cadillacs, and most of GM for years, my family had owned numerous GM cars and ALL of them had been heaping, steaming piles of crap, FWD transverse V8's, transverse V6's, and the like in all their suck-tastic glory. I went so far as to buy my mother a used Lexus just to end the lineage of POS cadillacs she has owned. I always knew there was a lot of talent SOMEWHERE at GM, but most of it was kept chained up in the basement designing things that would never see the light of day, and anything good that came out was still marred by numerous accountant-induced quality issues (most of this is backed up in Bob Lutz's book "Car guys vs Bean Counters" which is an awesome read btw), but with every model year that passed, you could see there was serious potential hiding in the halls at GM, and I just kept hoping one day they would get their shit together.

When they released the C5 Z06 I was impressed, but not enough to give them money. The car was still not something i would pony up new-car money for.

When they released the C6 Z06, I salivated a little bit, but again it isn't a car that would make me run to the dealership and pony up new-car money (i would buy one used but this sentiment doesn't matter to GM since if no-one buys it new, there wont be any used ones). Its a car I would rather have purchased new by a balding lawyer having a mid-life crisis, and have him sell it to me lightly used when he resolves the stiff suspension hurts his back and the low entry is hard on him.

Then they announced the CTS-V gen 2, and immediately I was smitten. I wanted one, but again, not new. The warranty still sucked and the depreciation on comparable Cadillacs again said "Buy used and drive it till the doors fall off of it"....

....And then something happened....they announced the V-Wagon....pure lust is too mild a term to describe my desire for this car, and some quick back of the envelope math told me that this car wont last 2-3 model years, so GM MAY manufacture 1200 examples of it EVER. Of those maybe 5% will have the exact option combination i want, which means my chances of finding the car I want used were worse than my chances of being struck by lightning while simultaneously being run over by Jay Leno. It would be the unicorn of used cars. A myth. The kind of car your cousins girlfriends brother once saw that one time at a shopping mall. I resolved that for these reasons I had to buy new, I say I had to because:

1: Not owning the car simply wasn't an option.

2: It was the only way I would get exactly what I wanted.

3: GM did something right, and it wasn't just a little right, it was stupendous, and I need to vote with my dollars and tell them “Yes GM I like what you’re doing here, take my money, and if you keep doing stuff JUST LIKE THIS and maybe there will be more of it in the future for you”. In the end it doesn't matter how many car pundits love a car, if none of them buy it. Manufacturers respond to money.

Vagon owners never cease to entertain, thanks, I had a few good laughs on this. :lol:

anorexicpoodle
12-17-11, 10:54 PM
Vagon owners never cease to entertain, thanks, I had a few good laughs on this. :lol:

Its because we are just wired differently than the rest of you. See illustrations below :)

Normal human brain
http://i.imgur.com/2b8wr.jpg

And a V-Wagon owners brain (Note the enlarged hooligan gland obscuring the cerebellum)
http://i.imgur.com/JLiEn.jpg

JimmyH
12-17-11, 11:22 PM
lulz. so what you are saying is you have a "V" lobe? :D