: Rough idle on my platinum...the dealer is just useless

motorwerks
12-14-11, 04:47 AM
I have a Platinum Escalade still under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. I've taken the vehicle in now twice to Cadillac of Novi for rough idle. They keep telling me and performing the same crap..."We've scanned the vehicle with the on-board computer diagnostics and nothing is showing up therefore we cannot perform anything under warranty. We've contacted GM and they say the situation is normal".

Meanwhile, they acknowledge the rough idle. But...just because the check engine lamp isn't on, they refuse to do anything. Not acknowledging that this could be a powerPLANT issue and not a powerTRAIN management issue. Meanwhile, a passenger sitting in the passenger seat asks, "what's up with your new truck?"

Basically, the vehicle tends to hiccup while at low idle (in gear, vehicle at operating temperature...does it ALL the time). Mind you, there is no lack of power upon throttle, etc. Just the fluttering idle.

Will someone help? I'm going to try LaFontaine Cadillac next. So far, Serra Cadillac and Cadillac of Novi were useless. Never had just a blatant denial of the truth from service departments with my Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. Yes, these guys are all getting the shitty CSI when the phone call comes through.

Satish Tummala
contact info deleted ~ rolex

2007caddy
12-14-11, 07:40 AM
What year is your vehicle, what's the mileage, how long have you had the vehicle and when did the issue start....I'm surprised that the check engine light has not come on since the rough idle is that bad....could be a your throttle body that requires cleaning????...did the dealer at least look at vehicle and if so what did they look into....I would call GM customer service to create a case, I have in the past and they dealt directly with the dealer to resolve an extended warranty issues I had....good luck.....BTW: TB cleaning is not covered under warranty, I have had my TB cleaned which reduced my rough idle and a year later the TB failed and was replaced, with my other GM SUV I personally clean my TB once per year...but your issue could be one of a series of issues

Big Windy Ext
12-14-11, 08:35 AM
I have had the same issue.If you do a search you will find quite a few of us do. It seems that it set lean from the factory if everything else is in proper working order,clean throttle body etc. I have had this same problem on previous GM vehicles except for a few vehicles like my work vans.It sucks that my van idles like a Lexus but my Caddy can shake my coffee till it spills,slight exaggeration but not far off.

Delta
12-14-11, 08:44 AM
it's a 6.2L V8 with 420hp... how smooth do you expect it to be?

or are we talking like almost dying kind of rough idle?

hcvone
12-14-11, 08:50 AM
Maybe we can link these two threads started by the same person together

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/247332-rough-idle-my-platinum-dealer-just.html

----------

It's really listed at 403 hp and 417 ft lbs of torque per Caddy, but all the dyno's my trucks have been on shows about 435 hp and 420 ft of torque stock

----------

One more thing every 5k miles I use a bottle of Techron in the gas tank, got that tip from a GM tech and it really works.

Delta
12-14-11, 08:58 AM
Maybe we can link these two threads started by the same person together

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/247332-rough-idle-my-platinum-dealer-just.html

----------

It's really listed at 403 hp and 417 ft lbs of torque per Caddy, but all the dyno's my trucks have been on shows about 435 hp and 420 ft of torque stock

----------

One more thing every 5k miles I use a bottle of Techron in the gas tank, got that tip from a GM tech and it really works.
on all of my cars, including both my escalades and my V I use nothing but premium from Shell or Chevron. I would suggest anyone do that.

luxurylife33
12-14-11, 10:00 AM
im pretty sure all the 07+ Ecalades have a slightly rough idle... some people have experienced positive results with a 2nd battery and 93 octane gas

hcvone
12-14-11, 10:23 AM
on all of my cars, including both my escalades and my V I use nothing but premium from Shell or Chevron. I would suggest anyone do that.

I did a long term non tech test in 2007 with two of my Escalade's, in one nothing but Shell was used, in the other nother but Sunoco was used, we owned a few of each stations, they both performed the same on the dyno and over the 17k miles they both ran great. Since 2010 it's been only Shell because we parted ways with Sunoco, and it's always 93 octane even in the snowmobiles

hannity
12-14-11, 10:31 AM
I have a Platinum Escalade still under the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. I've taken the vehicle in now twice to Cadillac of Novi for rough idle. They keep telling me and performing the same crap..."We've scanned the vehicle with the on-board computer diagnostics and nothing is showing up therefore we cannot perform anything under warranty. We've contacted GM and they say the situation is normal".

Meanwhile, they acknowledge the rough idle. But...just because the check engine lamp isn't on, they refuse to do anything. Not acknowledging that this could be a powerPLANT issue and not a powerTRAIN management issue. Meanwhile, a passenger sitting in the passenger seat asks, "what's up with your new truck?"

Basically, the vehicle tends to hiccup while at low idle (in gear, vehicle at operating temperature...does it ALL the time). Mind you, there is no lack of power upon throttle, etc. Just the fluttering idle.

Will someone help? I'm going to try LaFontaine Cadillac next. So far, Serra Cadillac and Cadillac of Novi were useless. Never had just a blatant denial of the truth from service departments with my Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. Yes, these guys are all getting the shitty CSI when the phone call comes through.

Satish Tummala
contact info deleted ~ rolex

I understand your frustration completely. I have not experienced rough idle in mine, but countless other issues. It is to the point where any little thing goes wrong that when I take it to the service advisor, I am told after diagnosing it, that it is normal. They love to call things normal, when the vehicle never did it when it was brand new. Stay on them or contact a gm rep. I haven't had anything go wrong in the last month cross my fingers. Since it's starting to get colder I am anticipating my piston slap getting worse. Good luck with your truck, please keep us updated.

----------

You should test drive a Lexus LX or LS. My parents have a LS. As powerful as that engine is. 390hp you can honestly hardly tell that the vehicle is running.

Delta
12-14-11, 10:48 AM
You should test drive a Lexus LX or LS. My parents have a LS. As powerful as that engine is. 390hp you can honestly hardly tell that the vehicle is running.
apples to oranges

#1: truck vs. car - a truck will always be a little more harsh
#2: you're comparing a 4.6L to a 6.2L - one built to tow 8300lbs
#3: 30 more hp, 60 more tq from the escalade

people tend to forget that under the pretty trim and cadillac crests that it's still a truck, a lot of them being a 4x4. it has a monstrous engine with tons of power, it can tow anything and go anywhere. ill sacrafice a little shaking at idle for what the truck is - the most powerful and the nicest looking SUV on the road (besides maybe the new jeep GC's, love those).

bstiffmanofsteel
12-14-11, 11:17 AM
I had a really bad idle in my EXT a year ago. We ran a can of Seafoam through it, I cleaned the throttle body twice. Then I took a look at the plugs and wires! 2 or 3 plugs the apex had eroded! Went with E3 plugs and new wires. Much better... I hope this helps you out.

MrHolland
12-14-11, 11:52 AM
it's a 6.2l v8 with 420hp... How smooth do you expect it to be?

Or are we talking like almost dying kind of rough idle?
as smooth as it was when i picked it up!!!!!!!!

hannity
12-14-11, 12:05 PM
apples to oranges

#1: truck vs. car - a truck will always be a little more harsh
#2: you're comparing a 4.6L to a 6.2L - one built to tow 8300lbs
#3: 30 more hp, 60 more tq from the escalade

people tend to forget that under the pretty trim and cadillac crests that it's still a truck, a lot of them being a 4x4. it has a monstrous engine with tons of power, it can tow anything and go anywhere. ill sacrafice a little shaking at idle for what the truck is - the most powerful and the nicest looking SUV on the road (besides maybe the new jeep GC's, love those).

I guess gm built you a special escalade because your hp is off. The hp is 403 at start up. 8300 is nice the Lexus LX is 8500 lbs with 383 hp at start up.The engines are the same in the LS and LX. It's just the LX is built to tow and the LS is not The LS has the same hp at a higher rpm with a lower torque. I should know better than to compare a prehistoric ohv with a Japanese DOC. The plus - minus system gm uses in building their cylinders I'm sure is what contributes to rough idle. ( I don't have rough idle, but I have piston slap) I should have mentioned to the OP that the plus - minus system is probably why the dealers call it normal, can't fix how something is engineered. gm has not changed and with President Obama's fuel regulation requirements gm will surely not change. If you test drive an LX you will be amazed. You don't even have to admit it to me. Just go test drive one this weekend or when you have time. You will truly be amazed.

hcvone
12-14-11, 01:43 PM
I guess gm built you a special escalade because your hp is off. The hp is 403 at start up. 8300 is nice the Lexus LX is 8500 lbs with 383 hp at start up.The engines are the same in the LS and LX. It's just the LX is built to tow and the LS is not The LS has the same hp at a higher rpm with a lower torque. I should know better than to compare a prehistoric ohv with a Japanese DOC. The plus - minus system gm uses in building their cylinders I'm sure is what contributes to rough idle. ( I don't have rough idle, but I have piston slap) I should have mentioned to the OP that the plus - minus system is probably why the dealers call it normal, can't fix how something is engineered. gm has not changed and with President Obama's fuel regulation requirements gm will surely not change. If you test drive an LX you will be amazed. You don't even have to admit it to me. Just go test drive one this weekend or when you have time. You will truly be amazed.

One is a truck and one is a toy. I was out today in my prehistoric ZR1 smoking the best Germany has, I know because it was my friend. Your president not mine, please go buy another car/truck so you can bother a whole other forum, it's getting old, but I still watch your TV show on fox. :)

2007caddy
12-14-11, 06:49 PM
Why does every thread turn into negative complaining session for HANNITY, someone is asking for assistance with his problem he's not asking for tips on buying a Lexus, Audi or Benz or any other vehicle...if you can't help with the initial request do us all a favor and bypass post....read your posts they are not helpful they are simply a bag of your personal " FEELINGS "...you dislike your vehicle and everything it offers which is quite clear, so create a thread for help and assistance and/or stop hijacking every thread....this forum has become sub-par because of a select few as every thread goes south because of the dynamic duo....LET'S GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST gentlemen see how we can assist.....

motorwerks
12-14-11, 08:13 PM

Boy, sounds like the stupid response I get from the service writer? You must work for Cadillac. Sheesh!

I have a 604hp Mercedes-Benz SL65. When it running, you have to look at the tachometer to make sure it's even on. None of the other new Escalades had the flutter at idle....why should mine? Moreover, why should mine be called, "normal" just because a check engine lamp isn't on?

Tec80
12-14-11, 08:53 PM
Can you hear the idle variation/hiccup if you stand in back of the truck and listen to the exhaust bark? Or is it something you can feel more than hear?

motorwerks
12-14-11, 09:00 PM
Good point...I haven't particularly paid attention outside the truck to the exhaust note in particular. You definitely feel it inside without question. What should the normal spec idle speed be?

quattrotman
12-14-11, 11:12 PM
Why does every thread turn into negative complaining session for HANNITY, someone is asking for assistance with his problem he's not asking for tips on buying a Lexus, Audi or Benz or any other vehicle...if you can't help with the initial request do us all a favor and bypass post....read your posts they are not helpful they are simply a bag of your personal " FEELINGS "...you dislike your vehicle and everything it offers which is quite clear, so create a thread for help and assistance and/or stop hijacking every thread....this forum has become sub-par because of a select few as every thread goes south because of the dynamic duo....LET'S GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST gentlemen see how we can assist.....

Lets be fair here. It is also not helpful for some of the others who have chimed in to say that rough idle normal and to be expected from a big motor. It is not normal and it is not acceptable for a newer vehicle in that price range. I think that ultimately that is the point that hannity is making and it is also the point I like to make. I'm not going to go on about my feelings about my escalade because I've said what I need to say but it also bothers me to see so many turn a blind eye to obvious problems with the vehicle and the service it's owners are recieving from the dealers/company.
As far as the OP's problem goes, I would not take that crap from the dealer and if they don't do anything, go to another dealer. If they don't help, call GM cust serv (hey, why haven't they chimed in yet? Breanne, where are you?). If you are hitting a wall with GM customer service and numerous dealers, I believe you can, at that point, accept it is normal. I believe they call it piston slap? Maybe not but you're right...it isn't OK. My 07 runs pretty damn smooth (except on start up and we all know what that's all about).
See...I even said something good about my caddy and I never mentioned another manufacturer :)

MrHolland
12-14-11, 11:43 PM
This is something I posted previously in a similar thread. I still stand by this.

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!! At some point these engines ran smoothly, if they didn't none of us would've have purchased them.This sounds like a GM engineers response to keep the warranty department from trying to fix a particular problem that they're not able to measure the severity. If my tire is obviously flat, you cant tell me its not. If my engine doesn't run as smoothly as it did when it was brand new, its easy to hide under the umbrella of "thats normal" and not address the issue. I have multiple cars ranging from new to nearly 60 years old and the antiques after all these years still run as smoothly as the new ones.......

Its unfortunate that we are experiencing these types of issues. Motorwerks- If you figure out the cause or the fix please post!!! I have not had this type of problem and hope I never do, actually I seem to have a pretty solid car and am quite happy thus far!! Good luck!!

murphy
12-14-11, 11:49 PM
Mine seems to experience it intermittently from time to time and never really severely. I suspect possibly fuel or maybe electrical load ? or engine temperature although now that I think I haven't noticed an incident since I added the aux battery..I'll pay more attention.

MrHolland
12-14-11, 11:55 PM
Someone else posted in here that AUX Batt remedied their rough idle too. Maybe theres something to it!!

motorwerks
12-15-11, 02:06 AM
Can someone else chime in about the aux battery remedying rough idle? One OTHER issue they failed to look into (called it normal even though the other Escalades at the dealership didn't do it) was when I open the doors, the dome lights flicker...It's pretty damn annoying at night time. If you're trying to use the map lights with the car running and warmed up, the dome lights flicker/flutter with the engine. I wonder if it's related.

Anyhow, so far, I've had the following recommendations:

1. clean throttle body
2. replace spark plugs
3. auxiliary battery
4. adjust engine rpm slightly higher with a GM Tech II tool (yes I have access to this)

I too am wondering if the engine rpm is just a tad low causing all the issues. What is the correct spec rpm for this truck according to manufacturer's data?

Satish

MrHolland
12-15-11, 02:21 AM
nunomeza is the one that posted about the added battery in a thread called : Rough Idle 2007 Escalade

hcvone
12-15-11, 07:19 AM
The only way I can see the dual batteries helping with a rough idle is that the alternator would work less recharging the battery and there for the idle would stay slighlt higher giving a smoother idle, it's possible.

Big Windy Ext
12-15-11, 07:22 AM
I have a 2nd battery and flickering dome. Leds make it less noticed. But it still idles rough.I bought mine as a luxury truck not a Lexus.I'm also tired of the negative bashing.My idle isn't God awful,but could be better,thats why I love these forums,finding that little something that improves my ride.

hcvone
12-15-11, 07:25 AM
Can someone else chime in about the aux battery remedying rough idle? One OTHER issue they failed to look into (called it normal even though the other Escalades at the dealership didn't do it) was when I open the doors, the dome lights flicker...It's pretty damn annoying at night time. If you're trying to use the map lights with the car running and warmed up, the dome lights flicker/flutter with the engine. I wonder if it's related.

Anyhow, so far, I've had the following recommendations:

1. clean throttle body
2. replace spark plugs
3. auxiliary battery
4. adjust engine rpm slightly higher with a GM Tech II tool (yes I have access to this)

I too am wondering if the engine rpm is just a tad low causing all the issues. What is the correct spec rpm for this truck according to manufacturer's data?

Satish

How many miles on your truck? I have thru the years had issues with spark plugs from the factory, on a few on my Corvette's and a few Grand Cherokee's with spark plug gap issues, it's rare but it does happen. Depending on the mileage (above 5k) I would dump a bottle of Techron in the gas tank, and every 5k miles, it only helps. Depending on everything else I personally would bump the idle up after checking what it really is and not by the trucks tach

----------

This is something I posted previously in a similar thread. I still stand by this.

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!! At some point these engines ran smoothly, if they didn't none of us would've have purchased them.This sounds like a GM engineers response to keep the warranty department from trying to fix a particular problem that they're not able to measure the severity. If my tire is obviously flat, you cant tell me its not. If my engine doesn't run as smoothly as it did when it was brand new, its easy to hide under the umbrella of "thats normal" and not address the issue. I have multiple cars ranging from new to nearly 60 years old and the antiques after all these years still run as smoothly as the new ones.......

Its unfortunate that we are experiencing these types of issues. Motorwerks- If you figure out the cause or the fix please post!!! I have not had this type of problem and hope I never do, actually I seem to have a pretty solid car and am quite happy thus far!! Good luck!!

I guess many here would be taking my ZR1 back to the shop because that doesn't idle smooth. :eek:

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-15-11, 08:13 AM
Motorwerks,
Hello! I was just wondering if you have checked with the other dealership that you listed in post #1 yet, and what they said? Also, have you tried any of the recommendations that you have been given? I am going to try and look into this and see if I can get some of these questions answered. If you want to send me your VIN number I can do the best I can.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

MrHolland
12-15-11, 04:11 PM
I guess many here would be taking my ZR1 back to the shop because that doesn't idle smooth. :eek:

My wife will be quick to say "EEWWW that doesnt sound very good" when she hears a car idling ---bumpity bumpity bumpity bumpity!!! LOL

hcvone
12-15-11, 04:48 PM
My wife will be quick to say "EEWWW that doesnt sound very good" when she hears a car idling ---bumpity bumpity bumpity bumpity!!! LOL

See you are starting trouble, what I failed to bring up is I had to buy her one too, or guess what she would be driving, now she says "your car makes all this noise after you got it back from Katech" I want that too, I am going to park it at the shop for a month and then put an exhaust on it and LIE. ;)

MrHolland
12-15-11, 07:14 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaaa that's pretty good. Good luck sir, I imagine that will work until she rolls up next to you at a stop light!!!!

motorwerks
12-16-11, 07:23 AM
Regarding fuel treatments, I ONLY used 93 octane premium unleaded, haven't missed a service, and take impeccable care of the truck. I own a really high end auto repair and collision facility. We are the factory collision center for Mercedes-Benz and Audi. I know how vehicles are supposed to run and how to treat clients. I'm a car guy. I TOLD the service writer the first time that this is likely NOT a powertrain management issue but likely a powerPLANT issue; therefore a check engine lamp may NOT be illuminated and stored faults may NOT arise. He looked at me like a deer in headlights. Literally, the next words out of his mouth was, "We'll scan the vehicle for any faults in the system and let you know what we find". I just goddamn got done saying that he likely wouldn't find anything in the powertrain management side of the engine and they had just checked it 7 days prior. I got the same treatment from Serra Cadillac.

Also the vehicle already had the BG fuel management treatment THREE times in its past. AND THE MOST PATHETIC THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS: When I picked the car up the 2nd time from Cadillac of Novi, I told the service writer that the rough idle didn't get fixed (my MAIN reason for bringing it in). He told me that they would change the oil (what the hell would that do??! even though the oil maintenance was at 89%?) and recommended the fuel injection treatment. IT HAD JUST BEEN DONE 2800 MILES EARLIER!!! When I looked through my records and told him that they just did it, he said well, in that case we'll contact GM and see what happens. He called back a few hours later and told me that the truck is supposed to idle that way and that since my warranty is through 100k miles, I could always bring it back in if it got worse. Unbelievable. Frustrating thing was they just turned a blind eye from the obvious problem calling it "normal".

I'm going to try another dealer (now the third) and if I get the same treatment, it'll be a call to good 'ol Jaffe Raitt Huer and Weiss to resolve this legally...

Satish

hcvone
12-16-11, 07:28 AM
Regarding fuel treatments, I ONLY used 93 octane premium unleaded, haven't missed a service, and take impeccable care of the truck. I own a really high end auto repair and collision facility. We are the factory collision center for Mercedes-Benz and Audi. I know how vehicles are supposed to run and how to treat clients. The vehicle already had the BG fuel management treatment THREE times in its past. AND THE MOST PATHETIC THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS: When I picked the car up the 2nd time from Cadillac of Novi, I told the service writer that the rough idle didn't get fixed (my MAIN reason for bringing it in). He told me that they would change the oil (what the hell would that do??! even though the oil maintenance was at 89%?) and recommended the fuel injection treatment. IT HAD JUST BEEN DONE 2800 MILES EARLIER!!! When I looked through my records and told him that they just did it, he said well, in that case we'll contact GM and see what happens. He called back a few hours later and told me that the truck is supposed to idle that way and that since my warranty is through 100k miles, I could always bring it back in if it got worse. Unbelievable. Frustrating thing was they just turned a blind eye from the obvious problem calling it "normal".

I'm going to try another dealer (now the third) and if I get the same treatment, it'll be a call to good 'ol Jaffe Raitt Huer and Weiss to resolve this legally...

Satish

Like with any car, some dealerships just take care of customers better than others, if possible try another dealership for service, the two dealerships I use are a local Chevy dealership and where I buy my Caddy's but that dealership is 100 miles from my house, these two dealerships take as good care of my as my Benz or BWM dealerships, it's just finding a good one.

K9Caddy
12-16-11, 02:17 PM
Motorwerks-

How far are you from 'Heritage Cadillac', they are in Lombard, IL. suburb of Chicago. Those guys should take care of you...

http://www.heritagecadillac.com/web/contact