: Steering wheel replaced / Now it is off-center

SRXJames
12-13-11, 10:05 PM
Hi:

I just had my steering wheel replaced today under warranty due to a faulty heater. When I got the car back the wheel was not centered so I returned to the dealer and requested an adjustment. I was told that today's wheels are not adjustable like those of old (I also read that here in the forum).

I was told that it probably needs an alignment. How then was the old steering wheel perfectly aligned and the new one is not if the wheel can only go on one way?

Should I bring it back again?

Thanks,
Jim

JimmyH
12-14-11, 12:00 PM
I would try a different dealer. When I had my CTS4, there was a center dead spot in the steering wheel. I took it to the dealer and they of course said "that's normal."
so I went to a different dealer and without hesitation they ordered a new propeller shaft. got the car back a day later and it was perfect.

SRXJames
12-14-11, 05:48 PM
thanks. I brought it back to the same dealer today. They have the car overnight. I honestly think it is the wrong steering wheel. The appearance is the same with the exception of very different type of leather surface.

JimmyH
12-14-11, 06:37 PM
I am betting they just mounted it wrong. Other than being off center, does the car steer normally and hold a straight line?

SRXJames
12-15-11, 03:49 PM
They removed and reinstalled today and I am about to pick it up, but they say that it is still off-center. The car tracks straight and steers normally.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-12-12, 02:46 PM
SRXJames,
I would take the vehicle to a different dealer in your area to see what they have to say. This does not seem right to me. If you need help locating or contacting another dealer in your area just let me know.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service