: Tire recommendations

crankedupforit
12-13-11, 11:56 AM
I purchased a very cherry 07 Escalade with 65K and Goodyear LS2s with the 20in wheels. Believe it or not they are still at 6/32nds and I think they are original. Reviews on Tirerack.com are very unfavorable for this tire, but I find them relatively quiet and smooth. At highway speeds I'm getting some vibrations, but for 5 year old tires the belts may be wearing out. I want to get a new set in a few weeks, but I have a concern about tread noise. The Michelins LTX/MS2s are the top of the line but they are considered a truck tire where the LS2s fall into a Grand Touring category for cars. Continental has a new tire out which looks good but in the 275/55 sizes it is XL load rated which makes me concerned about ride quality. General has the Grabber with very high ratings. My concern is the LS2s are really a passenger car tire whereas the other choices are light truck. I'm looking for a comfortable quiet tire which is good on the highway. Would the alternative LT tires mentioned be noisy or harsh compared to the LS2s? Anyone have any experience with these tires?

hcvone
12-13-11, 12:07 PM
You really have a truck, if you are looking for a highway tire like you have the Michelin LTX M/S2 or the Continental CrossContact LX20 are very good choices, I know people that have both of these tires on their trucks. I run 275/55/20 for my winter wheels and tires but I am running off road tires because of the snow we have

luxurylife33
12-14-11, 08:46 PM
I always stick with the OEM tires. Engineers at GM get paid $$$ to find the right tire for the truck.

the cadillac man
12-14-11, 09:09 PM
I always stick with the OEM tires. Engineers at GM get paid $$$ to find the right tire for the truck.some ways you are right but i had a chrysler concorde that had goodyear tires and they sucked and yes they were the same as oem so i am glad my caddy doesn't have the oem tires.

quattrotman
12-15-11, 12:33 AM
I always stick with the OEM tires. Engineers at GM get paid $$$ to find the right tire for the truck.

That is not true and definitely not the more 'mass produced' the vehicle is. The number one consideration for manufacturers is cost and then performance. I have never, ever, ever, found and OE tire to outperform what you can get aftermarket (I'll admit, I've never owned a lambo or ferrari though). Car manufacturers have relationships with tire manufacturers and together they equip their cars with cost effective tires that will satisfy the average buyer of that vehicle. For example, an escalade buyer will expect a quiet tire that lasts long and is adequate in adverse weather and that's what they get but you can buy way better tires than stock. A Porsche buyer will expect grip and high speed performance but don't expect that tire to last long. Still, there are better tires than OE. I would reccomend OE if the price is right and you aren't looking for anything extra. There are a lot of really great tires out there...and a lot of crap. For me though, OE tires often fall into the crap pile IMO. Just look at what they put on the average vehicle out there. Garbage...they last 50K miles but they are crap.

skierjp
12-15-11, 06:27 AM
Chech out Nitto or Toyo. These tires will be some of the smoothest tires avaliable. I had them on my F250. Before the Toyo it took another tire store 22 tires to get a set of 4. The road forse balancer kept kicking them out for out of round ( Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich )

MrHolland
12-15-11, 05:01 PM
Ive used the Toyo Proxes and really liked them. My daily driver has Kumhos on it and I also like them.

dobrenyr
12-21-11, 06:18 PM
I have the Toyo Proxes ST's 305/40 22's and they are amazingly good. The wear number is 410 and that is as good as the OEM tire (which i liked as well) all the reviews on the Toyo's indicated that they wear very well for a directional tire. They are quiet and handle well.... we'll see how they do in the snow.

escalade kidd
12-21-11, 07:24 PM
I also have Toyo Proxes ST's 305/40 22's.They ride alot smoother than the Dueler stock tires. They might not last as long but I care more about my ride. They fit right on my stock 22" rims and look great. jmho

hcvone
12-21-11, 07:50 PM
I have the Toyo Proxes ST's 305/40 22's and they are amazingly good. The wear number is 410 and that is as good as the OEM tire (which i liked as well) all the reviews on the Toyo's indicated that they wear very well for a directional tire. They are quiet and handle well.... we'll see how they do in the snow.

Not even close to the stock Bridgestone which rate at 600 treadwear, the best rating on any 22", you get a much better/softer ride with a 400 treadwear rated tire, but they will wear out 25% faster than the stock tire, probably 40% because of the increase in width, that is what I saw running 305's

Salvage101
12-22-11, 02:08 PM
Just put 4 brand new oem bridgestone alenza's on my escalade and the truck rides excellent.

cadikidd21
12-24-11, 05:54 PM
Custom 22" Vogues! Ride as smooth as silk!