: Need Some Help Gents

rbu1
12-12-11, 08:07 AM
The wife has a 2007 Escaldae with about 71k on it. Friday on her way home from work she had a half a tank of gas and decided to fill it up. She noticed as she tried to move up to the pump a little closer the truck stalled. Thinking nothing of it she stayed where she was and filled up the tank with the mid grade as always. After full she attempted to start the truck and it just turned and turned but would not start. I called the service department and they have a guy that comes out, this was midnight so I wa appreciative. He got the truck started by holding down the gas pedal and turning the key. Saturday morning we used the truck and the same thing happened after a 40 minutes highway trip. I got off the highway and stopped at a light and the truck just died. no sputter just shut off. I did the same thing held the gas pedal down and got it started. WE used the truck all day yesterday with no issues.......Any IDEAS????? She wants to trade it in because she works in a rough city and is afraid to drive it....

hcvone
12-12-11, 08:55 AM
Was the truck ever tuned up? Could be several things, fuel pump starting to go, dirty t-body or MAF sensor, I would start there.

SouthernCaddy
12-12-11, 09:03 AM
If you have no codes, I would replace the fuel pump. Trading it in on something else is not a fix. you never know what the something else has wrong with it. All things made by man will break in time!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-12-11, 11:55 AM
Rbu1,
When the man came out to start the truck, he seemed to know what to do to get it started. Did he mention what went wrong as to why he knew what to do. I would start there by asking them. It sounds like it may be the fuel pump. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept
12-12-11, 12:13 PM
Holding down the gas pedal is a 'trick' that has been built into many GM cars for a while. it basically tells the car to go into 'clear fuel mode' or 'dump fuel mode' where the car doesn't use any fuel management

it's possible that there's either a bad coolant temp sensor, leaky fuel injector, or leaky fuel rail or regulator

fuel pump is probably not bad

i would suggest getting the codes pulled if the service engine light is on or just taking to the dealer to let them handle it

rbu1
12-13-11, 07:47 AM
Well the dealer is telling me they cant diagnos the issue unless the truck is doing it when they have it. I can't not have a vehicle for the wife to get back and forth to work. The dealer also told me if the check engine light is not on which its not, they will not get any codes.

hcvone
12-13-11, 08:06 AM
Well the dealer is telling me they cant diagnos the issue unless the truck is doing it when they have it. I can't not have a vehicle for the wife to get back and forth to work. The dealer also told me if the check engine light is not on which its not, they will not get any codes.

That is not really true, the check engine light will reset after enough starts

rbu1
12-13-11, 08:59 AM
There has never been a check engine light. I hesitate taking it to the dealer unless I know they can fix it. The truck is covered for another 20k under gmpp Major guard.....