: Jake, wish you best of Luck !!

iflipcars
12-11-11, 09:06 PM
I hope everything goes well !! See his site : www.northstarperformance.com

:highfive:

Speedygman
12-11-11, 09:30 PM
Jake,
I wish the very BEST for you and look forward to being in the loop for future products and ideas from your Company.
thanks,
Grady

vincentm
12-14-11, 11:04 AM
Best of luck Jake, if there's anything i can help with let me know!

97EldoCoupe
12-14-11, 12:35 PM
Thanks all. The replacement transformer came in for the CNC. Got it installed but it's still throwing off an alarm code. This machine has on board diagnostics the same as a Caddy, called the "ladder" but without the repair manual those codes are worthless- I guess I'll have to source a repair manual. It turns on though; that's a start.

I'll update everyone I just am sick of all the slander and wars. I don't want to ruin the forums for everyone else. Maybe I should put a separate forum on my website for that stuff....

tateos
12-14-11, 01:20 PM
Jake - you have always proven yourself to be a stand up guy - your message on your website is a good example of your character. Sorry for the stress you have gone through, but you have had the courage to do what no one else has done. Probably, your dedication to always "do the right thing" is your biggest problem. You're feeling a little down in the mouth right now, but you have been there before, and have come back stronger than ever - I know this time will be no different. I'm not going to wish you luck - you don't need it - you already know what you have to do and have the knowledge and skills to continue to be a success.

Richard Moore

92Deville
12-14-11, 01:41 PM
Jake, for those that know what you do and how well you do it, nothing anybody can say will change our minds about you or your company. No one can understand what you are going through without walking a mile in your shoes. I can't think of another person that has devoted so much personal time, expense and energy to the northstar that you have. GM should put up a bronze statue of you in Detroit :). Don't let the miserable naysayers get to you, they will move on to something else to piss and moan about soon enough. Keep us posted on progress. I will be needing a stud kit soon once I get my heads off and check the block for cracks, hopefully this weekend.

97EldoCoupe
12-14-11, 02:14 PM
Thank you. I am not exactly proud right now of how I've been able to help customers lately. Trying to change that but step 1 is make sure the most needed parts (e.g. studs) are available. Without that; nothing moves forward; not even my own shop. I can't fix Cadillacs either without the studs. Outside machine shops are no longer an option. My reliance on them is what put me in this position to begin with. Everything revolves around that lathe. I have new tooling coming in this afternoon from Elkhart, Indiana for the old manual lathe as well. If worse comes to worse; that machine is going to get me back up on my feet. The first publically sold stud kit was built on an Atlas lathe; not even near what this Ward is capable of. This Ward machine was production equipment back in the 1950's; and it's still fairly accurate. Automatic feed is inoperable but if I have to I'll rig up a small three phase motor with a VFD on it.

I know that the CNC will be back up and running soon. My shop is heated now to 60 degrees F so that should help everything- Outdoors in MB it's hovering around 32 degrees F right now. Not too bad; the ground is still green too :) I hate snow-

Speedygman
12-15-11, 07:51 AM
Jake,
If you have time, the separate forum on YOUR website sounds like a wonderful idea. Looking forward to the future of your new and exciting products.
your friend and customer,
Grady

97EldoCoupe
12-15-11, 09:41 AM
At that time; if I should proceed with that; all complaints, wars, and yelling matches would then be hosted on my website. No more bickering on CF. Ranger is a good guy and he doesn't deserve to put up with all of what I've caused. Neither do all of the good members of CF. It's also insulting to Sal and I don't want that either.

If I should do that; any complaints against me will be kept online and public provided they're clean. I don't want a one-sided forum. That power would be too easy to misuse. A complete separate page for the positives and the negatives of doing business with me; so that potential customers can judge for themselves.

CF members- I am sorry for the wars that have been on here since 2007 that I've either caused directly or indirectly. It was never in my plans to hurt the community that has helped me so much.

RippyPartsDept
12-15-11, 10:49 AM
Forum on your site doesn't sound like a good idea to me... people will still come here to complain about you (and other places online)

plus you will have to handle the forum ... updating its software for security fixes and moderating it ... why duplicate what's already being done here?

i understand that you don't want to stress the 'resources' here but that's really what this place is for ... ultimately

vincentm
12-15-11, 11:14 AM
At that time; if I should proceed with that; all complaints, wars, and yelling matches would then be hosted on my website. No more bickering on CF. Ranger is a good guy and he doesn't deserve to put up with all of what I've caused. Neither do all of the good members of CF. It's also insulting to Sal and I don't want that either.

If I should do that; any complaints against me will be kept online and public provided they're clean. I don't want a one-sided forum. That power would be too easy to misuse. A complete separate page for the positives and the negatives of doing business with me; so that potential customers can judge for themselves.

CF members- I am sorry for the wars that have been on here since 2007 that I've either caused directly or indirectly. It was never in my plans to hurt the community that has helped me so much.

The backend framework for a forum on your site, is not an easy task, you've already alot on your plate, let em come here and we'll help where we can with those who post complaints, etc. I wanna be a mod here.

Ranger
12-15-11, 11:45 PM
Jake, don't beat yourself up. If people have a complaint, they need to take it to you and handle it privately, not here, and DO NOT put a complaint forum on your own site. No business does that. You simply cannot please all of the people all of the time. There will always be someone who is unreasonable or a mistake that was made and rectified, but it should stay between you and your customer. Deal with your problems and complaints privately. It's just good business sense. Best of luck to you.

Pete1996
12-16-11, 07:56 PM
I wish you all the best Jake, and again if I can help you with anything
electrical don't hesitate to ask.
I noticed that you are very young and you should be proud of all that you've
accomplished and how many cars you've kept running. You are a very small
specialty business and no one should expect miracles from you, must be very
frustrating about those outside suppliers. The problems tend to stand out
but I'll bet you have a long list of customers who's cars are running now as
a result of your efforts!

ThumperPup
12-20-11, 05:09 PM
Hey Jake if you read this David From PowerTrain Automotive is in need of a set of studs for a 98 or 99 Northstar
he has someone towing there car in from Mi to over hear near Cleveland next week and
he said he has tried to call but has not heard back from you
So he asked me to post on here so if you read this can you
Contact him
i think you have his number
but if you don't you can find the Number for
Powertrain Automotive in Wickliffe ohio to search
i don't want to post numbers up on the web

RippyPartsDept
12-20-11, 05:26 PM
also, hfg1551 has been wondering what's up with their stud order from a couple months ago

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/247794-northstar-performance-stud-kit-problems.html

hfg1551
12-20-11, 06:35 PM
Jake,

I was just directed to this thread from my general post - not to complain but to find information. It sounds like you have been going through a lot and being a self employed person for my entire life, I completely understand. Reading this thread as well as responses to my post has gone a long way toward providing the information I was seeking. From everything I read researching the head bolt problems prior to ordering them from you, it seemed that not only were your studs the only reliable and permanent fix, but that you were a person of honor as well. My only frustration (besides the obvious delay) has been the difficulty in finding out what was going on - but that is understandable with everything you seem to have on your plate.

Do you have any type of a rough estimate of when you think you might be shipping my studs - just so I can tell our home owners association how much longer they have to look at the immobile car parked in the driveway? lol

Thanks

Jim

neo126
12-21-11, 01:10 AM
Hey Jake, I am 19 years old and I wanted to wish you the best of luck with what is going on. I have been a member of cadillac forums since 2009 and have learned a lot of information about the Northstar. I have been to northstar performance.com many times to understand what the certain parts were as well as the HG issues that I recently suffered. After hearing what you do back in late 2009, I have studied almost every aspect of the Northstar so that I could recreate it when I go to the School of Automotive Machinists down in texas. I plan to build engines based off of the Northstar design and use those engines in a private car company that I want to design and build. I know it seems far fetched possibly even a little crazy but learning about what you did sparked that idea and I wanted to say thank you.

89falcon
12-21-11, 12:44 PM
Hey Jake, I am 19 years old and I wanted to wish you the best of luck with what is going on. I have been a member of cadillac forums since 2009 and have learned a lot of information about the Northstar. I have been to northstar performance.com many times to understand what the certain parts were as well as the HG issues that I recently suffered. After hearing what you do back in late 2009, I have studied almost every aspect of the Northstar so that I could recreate it when I go to the School of Automotive Machinists down in texas. I plan to build engines based off of the Northstar design and use those engines in a private car company that I want to design and build. I know it seems far fetched possibly even a little crazy but learning about what you did sparked that idea and I wanted to say thank you.

Neo,

do something that will help all of us.....learn how to cast a cheap Iron block for the N*!!!

Ranger
12-21-11, 02:36 PM
NOW you're talk'in.

neo126
12-21-11, 03:31 PM
will do I was planning on doing it out of Compressed Iron Graphite, but too expensive to make and machine. Iron would work much better.

----------

I take it N* blocks are becoming scarce

Submariner409
12-21-11, 03:36 PM
Cheap iron block won't do it..........how about a closed deck cast iron liner aluminum block with proper block/head steam passages (coolant holes) ?

neo126
12-21-11, 03:47 PM
I'm taking ideas right now it is a distance off at this time but I do need ideas for the type of metal

RippyPartsDept
12-21-11, 03:49 PM
doesn't jake have like 50 N* blocks or something in his warehouse?

vincentm
12-21-11, 05:17 PM

Don't think so, i was waiting for a block from him for the longest, Tim Carroll emailed me the other day saying he's on the hunt for one for my vehicle, my baby will be back under the knife again, soon hopefully.

89falcon
12-21-11, 05:27 PM
Don't think so, i was waiting for a block from him for the longest, Tim Carroll emailed me the other day saying he's on the hunt for one for my vehicle, my baby will be back under the knife again, soon hopefully.

Vince, I've got one.........couldn't find any cracks in it.....cleaned it up with wire (after tanking it...), and now it's powdercoated ("nearcrome" with clear on top) just waiting for studs or inserts.......siting in the corner of my garage....

----------

Cheap iron block won't do it..........how about a closed deck cast iron liner aluminum block with proper block/head steam passages (coolant holes) ?

That's fine....but what I want is a block that won't crack.....that can be used with a (little) bigger bore and stroke....is set up to take a distributor.....and is SBC compatible (bell housing, motor mounts, accessory drives).

There are plenty of N* heads that flow very well in junkyards, but not many good blocks that don't need a $1500 headgasket replacement......I'd jump all over a good iron block......and it would be MONEY if it was drilled for use in a Caddy, OR a hotrod (hooked to a TH400, M22 or Doug Nash/Richmond 5 or 6 speed)

vincentm
12-21-11, 05:30 PM
Vince, I've got one.........couldn't find any cracks in it.....cleaned it up with wire (after tanking it...), and now it's powdercoated ("nearcrome" with clear on top) just waiting for studs or inserts.......siting in the corner of my garage....

----------

Hmmm...watcha saying?

ThumperPup
12-21-11, 06:02 PM

I know he bought a truck load of them i thought just last year
i know i got My block new from him in December 2010 and i thouhgt he did buy like 50 or 200 for some reason those numbers are what i had in my head and they where 2002 blocks i think

neo126
12-21-11, 06:37 PM
what happened to the block

vincentm
12-21-11, 06:40 PM
Update from Jake:

"Stud Kits are beginning to ship again. Production is up. Shuttin down on the 23rd for Christmas though, back up on the 27th"

ThumperPup
12-21-11, 06:43 PM
Update from Jake:

"Stud Kits are beginning to ship again. Production is up. Shuttin down on the 23rd for Christmas though, back up on the 27th"

Vincent how are you keeping in contact with Jake ?
I know Someone a Shop near me that needs to order a stud kit but dos not trust putting his credit card info online guess so he handles everything via phone he has deal with jake on 6 or 7 other occasions
and knows im on the forums and has not had luck with phone left several msgs is he using a phone that is not on his website or are you contact him via email or
how can i tell David he can contact jake ?

neo126
12-21-11, 06:47 PM
Glad to know they r back in production jake

vincentm
12-21-11, 06:55 PM
Vincent how are you keeping in contact with Jake ?

I've a time portal that allows top secret two-way communication via 512-bit encrypted super sayon messages into all thats stud like

I know Someone a Shop near me that needs to order a stud kit but dos not trust putting his credit card info online guess so he handles everything via phone he has deal with jake on 6 or 7 other occasions
and knows im on the forums and has not had luck with phone left several msgs is he using a phone that is not on his website or are you contact him via email or
how can i tell David he can contact jake ?

Have him pm me

ThumperPup
12-21-11, 07:07 PM
I've a time portal that allows top secret two-way communication via 512-bit encrypted super sayon messages into all thats stud like

Have him pm me

He is not on the Forum can you hit me up in PM with your Email and contact info and ill give it to him thanks
he hardly has the time to even eat he is kind of like jake in a way he works day in and day out he is closed on weekends but he is still there on weekends how ever unless you have a key to his shop you aint even going to know he is there during non open hours lol
only time he really isn't working is if his wife makes him stop or if he has to tall around for parts or contact customers and then its still work but just not working on anything

so can you hit me with a PM of your Email or Contact info for him thanks

vincentm
12-21-11, 07:18 PM
Jake said he'll get with you on this, pm him.

97EldoCoupe
12-21-11, 07:35 PM
Hey all:

Stud kit production is back up. I have the best tooling available now for the manual turret lathe and it's making very good parts, accurate, concentric, precise diameter bolts, bushings, etc. I still have stock on studs but that's going to be gone by next week so after enough installation kits are produced we're going to focus on studs again.

Unlike General Motors, Chrysler, etc..... if things go sour I can't expect a government bailout- so hard work is the foundation and source of funding right now....

Against the grain, this might be a stupid move all things considered but I'm finishing my black 97 ETC. I haven't driven one of my own Cadillacs in almost two years. Im building this engine EXACTLY the way I've built every other engine for customers, from the bare block up. Real world testing, I'll soon have real-world test results on actual oil consumption, etc. I turn a LOT of miles on. My Sierra is so hard on fuel, the ETC will save me 40% off my fuel costs for when I don't need to tow anything. I'll post pics of the engine yet if I get a chance. I'm going to put this engine to the test. I lean on WOT all the time with everything I drive, and as long as the engines up to operating temp and it's properly broken in, there's nothing wrong with that. The first trip I'm taking with this Caddy for the Christmas holidays is about 1275 miles...... I don't mean to put anyone behind myself but my truck is due for service (some body work, new tires, etc.) and this is the best time to finally have my own Caddy back up and running. Don't sell what you don't use yourself; don't fix what you don't drive yourself.... I miss driving a Caddy...

The CNC manuals (all three) should be here in a few days. It's in constant 60 degree ambient temp right now so I'll quickly get the diagnosis on that machine and get it back up and running. Until then the manual lathe is producing parts better than what my previous supplier could do on their CNC....

All kits are shipping in order from date the order was placed. We should be caught up roughly by Jan 1st.

On the personal side of life, I have an amazing new girlfriend who lives a slight distance from me. I will be making enough time in my schedule that she's not going to be ignored. Behind every good man is a good woman- and this girl is something special... Work and business are great- but life's basic wants and needs, are why we work in the first place. As important as my job may be, I will not place work above her. Rather, she's quite likely going to help me- she has a heart the size of Texas and she's so pretty- she treats me very well. Having her in my life is even more reason to make everything work, not only for my future, but for her future too- if it leads that far.

I'm not playing around this time. I'm going to cut back on the overhead costs for a bit (this is why the 888 toll free # is the only one that works right now) so that I can use that saved money for further expansion (to make sure product is kept in stock, waiting for shipping tags to be stuck on). The fuel saved by driving the ETC will also help along. I have 90,000 miles on that new truck of mine. A lot of this has been racked up making pick ups/deliveries and such.

And under NO circumstances will I have outside companies machine my parts anymore. I'd be better off hanging a closed sign on the door and driving away.... Right now production might be a tad bit slow; but slow is better than halted. And slow and accurate is better than rapidly produced scrap....

Every time I slide the head over the studs and torque the head down, I look at my design and I say to myself, there is NO better way of securing those heads down on that 10.3:1 compression ,32 valve V8. It's almost perfecting the Northstar. I'm not bragging- I'm simply proud- and I'll be proud to offer this repair to all Northstar owners out there for years to come.

There's good news on the horizon; and as long as I'm alive I won't be held down. Where there's a will there's a way. I'll update my site soon and update you all soon. after Christmas I'll post pics of my ETC and release the oil consumption details from mile "0" of a fresh built Northstar. I hope it burns a little bit (hopefully more than my truck) but I don't expect a lot of consumption. The engine I built for my dad a couple years ago, is still consuming a 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles. It's doing great.

I will look after ALL of my customers, every single one, and I really, really appreciate your tolerance and patience. If I had been able to get my own production equipment a couple years ago I'd be a lot farther ahead now.

I'm not giving up, please, don't give up on me- at least not yet-

vincentm
12-21-11, 07:44 PM
Black ETC's are the sexiest

:cool2:

89falcon
12-21-11, 07:59 PM
Black ETC's are the sexiest

:cool2:

Vince,

Figure out how we ship it.....

it's a 97 block.....it had only one or two bad threads.....not that it matters if you're studding it...just a note on general condition of the thing.

I'm wondering how much the thing weighs without any of the studs/bolts (top or bottom). I've thought about building it.....just can't see putting that much effort and money in it considering the car is running fine with a used motor, and it's just too long in the tooth to do again if this motor fails....it's been wrecked about 3-4 times by my kids!

I can look for some boxes....and Styrofoam peanuts.....I'd rather you get your car fixed than it just sit in my garage (as would my wife).

Thinking outloud again....maybe this time when they torques down the heads, do it in more...smaller increments.

like I said, let me find some boxes and come up with a plan...if I can, we'll work out the details (send me prepaid shipping labels?)

Ranger
12-21-11, 09:20 PM
Glad to hear things are up and running well again Jake. :thumbsup:

vincentm
12-21-11, 09:32 PM
Vince,

Figure out how we ship it.....

it's a 97 block.....it had only one or two bad threads.....not that it matters if you're studding it...just a note on general condition of the thing.

I'm wondering how much the thing weighs without any of the studs/bolts (top or bottom). I've thought about building it.....just can't see putting that much effort and money in it considering the car is running fine with a used motor, and it's just too long in the tooth to do again if this motor fails....it's been wrecked about 3-4 times by my kids!

I can look for some boxes....and Styrofoam peanuts.....I'd rather you get your car fixed than it just sit in my garage (as would my wife).

Thinking outloud again....maybe this time when they torques down the heads, do it in more...smaller increments.

like I said, let me find some boxes and come up with a plan...if I can, we'll work out the details (send me prepaid shipping labels?)

Dude, call me :)

Submariner409
12-21-11, 11:17 PM
Jake,

Make stud kits, try to ship on time, don't EVER work overtime, buy the woman a quiet candlelight dinner once in a while, find time to play and, above all, stay true to yourself.

.......from the ol' Chief

ThumperPup
12-21-11, 11:20 PM
Jake,

Make stud kits, try to ship on time, don't EVER work overtime, buy the woman a quiet candlelight dinner once in a while, find time to play and, above all, stay true to yourself.

:yeah:

vincentm
12-22-11, 03:55 AM
Jake,

Rawben
01-06-12, 06:48 PM
Hey Jake I'm not giving up on you, but I am concerned with communication. As I suggested before, you might want to hire someone virtually (Virtual Assistant) who can handle your emails and phones (returning calls that is) - even one hour per day to provide communication with customers so they don't feel like their being avoided. Your new receptionist is nice, but we've called twice this week and emailed once to obtain a tracking # for our shipment to see what it's status is to no avail. When your receptionist phoned me, prior to Christmas, to obtain my CC # indicating my studs were ready to ship, I expected to receive them early this week, at the latest, due to the holidays and haven't. My dh won't start tearing the car apart until they arrive. We planned on having this project completed while he was off from work these past two weeks and he now goes back to work on Monday.

I'm not giving up, please, don't give up on me- at least not yet-

Rawben
01-13-12, 01:26 AM
Still no replies! Anyone heard from Jake or his office? On 12/22 or 12/23, his receptionist called me for my CC# and stated my stud kit was ready to be shipped. It's still not here and no return phone calls. Makes me wonder. :helpless: If I'd at least received a phone call telling me what's happening I'd be understanding, but now... I don't know what to think.

vincentm
01-13-12, 09:21 AM
Rawben, check your PM's

97EldoCoupe
01-13-12, 03:17 PM
Rawben, Annie has been a confused receptionist. She's history, for a reason- I've had my own problems with her that I will not get into right now. Orders have started shipping this week and if yours hasn't yet gone out, it will be the new production. All weekend and today I will be catching up and making ship labels. I will figure out who you are (my customer and not just a CF username) and get tracking info over to you.

I find it better if I handle orders personally. I will be doing that again for a while at least.

OK- NOW FOR THE UPDATE:

We are full speed in production again. I got word from a forum member's family member that I should be on the Caddy Forums-

The quality of the studs has increased tremendously above what we have shipped in the past. Threads are peaking out nice, smooth, diamter is holding consistent in the CNC within +/- .0005 tolerance. Machine marks on the shaft of the stud are pretty much non-existent, or, microscopic. We are machining from already hardened chromoly steel which means, as another large stud manufacturer points out, this is much harder on the tooling but results in a stronger, superior product. Threads are rolled after heat treating as well.

We have the capacity to meet demands of over 100 sets per week now if the need arises. For now it's past orders, current orders, and stocking the shelves. 93-99's first, 00-05's next, the Toyota kits, and so-on.

I'll see if I can get a hi-res photo of a few studs up here soon.

Basically I don't want to go through too many tooling changes- just continue to run large production volumes of one particular part and then move to the next. But within 2 weeks for sure, ship times are going to go back to "within 24 hours from time of order" as it used to be.

2012 will be a different year, a much better one I'm expecting; due to the fact that I no longer have to rely on outsourcing the machining to incompetent; or slow; machine shops. The bar stock I'm using isn't cheap but I'd sooner throw a stud in the scrap bin if there's any question about its quality rather than pack and ship it. Now I'm in control, I'm in the drivers' seat, and this is what's going to make things turn around. I know how important the fine details are. Quality. Strength. Ship times. Customer Service. I'm not promising the BEST of customer service for right now. I need about a couple weeks to get things caught up. Before I start hiring any phone attendants. But I am now promising high quality parts, and speedy ship times.

----------

Oh- and that ETC of mine is doing great. There is a little bit of oil consumption; very minor; nothing I would not expect from a 32 valve V8. But because I had to pull the rad on it and disconnect the oil cooler lines some 800 miles away (changed the alternator in my girlfriends back yard, no jacks, no hoists) I lost some oil so I can't give an exact number yet on miles per quart- I do have over 2,000 miles on this engine now and no overheating, no leaks, its quiet, runs like a clock, and lots of power. I didn't give it proper break-in - I'm being a bit hard on this engine, for a reason. The first 100 miles or so I did baby it; but in reality a fresh engine needs more time than that. Wester's Garage may soon get a visit from me with this ETC.

----------

Rawben, give me 24 hours and you will have a proper update on your order.

vincentm
01-13-12, 03:52 PM
Rawben, Annie has been a confused receptionist. She's history, for a reason- I've had my own problems with her that I will not get into right now. Orders have started shipping this week and if yours hasn't yet gone out, it will be the new production. All weekend and today I will be catching up and making ship labels. I will figure out who you are (my customer and not just a CF username) and get tracking info over to you.

I find it better if I handle orders personally. I will be doing that again for a while at least.

OK- NOW FOR THE UPDATE:

We are full speed in production again. I got word from a forum member's family member that I should be on the Caddy Forums-

The quality of the studs has increased tremendously above what we have shipped in the past. Threads are peaking out nice, smooth, diamter is holding consistent in the CNC within +/- .0005 tolerance. Machine marks on the shaft of the stud are pretty much non-existent, or, microscopic. We are machining from already hardened chromoly steel which means, as another large stud manufacturer points out, this is much harder on the tooling but results in a stronger, superior product. Threads are rolled after heat treating as well.

We have the capacity to meet demands of over 100 sets per week now if the need arises. For now it's past orders, current orders, and stocking the shelves. 93-99's first, 00-05's next, the Toyota kits, and so-on.

I'll see if I can get a hi-res photo of a few studs up here soon.

Basically I don't want to go through too many tooling changes- just continue to run large production volumes of one particular part and then move to the next. But within 2 weeks for sure, ship times are going to go back to "within 24 hours from time of order" as it used to be.

2012 will be a different year, a much better one I'm expecting; due to the fact that I no longer have to rely on outsourcing the machining to incompetent; or slow; machine shops. The bar stock I'm using isn't cheap but I'd sooner throw a stud in the scrap bin if there's any question about its quality rather than pack and ship it. Now I'm in control, I'm in the drivers' seat, and this is what's going to make things turn around. I know how important the fine details are. Quality. Strength. Ship times. Customer Service. I'm not promising the BEST of customer service for right now. I need about a couple weeks to get things caught up. Before I start hiring any phone attendants. But I am now promising high quality parts, and speedy ship times.

----------

Oh- and that ETC of mine is doing great. There is a little bit of oil consumption; very minor; nothing I would not expect from a 32 valve V8. But because I had to pull the rad on it and disconnect the oil cooler lines some 800 miles away (changed the alternator in my girlfriends back yard, no jacks, no hoists) I lost some oil so I can't give an exact number yet on miles per quart- I do have over 2,000 miles on this engine now and no overheating, no leaks, its quiet, runs like a clock, and lots of power. I didn't give it proper break-in - I'm being a bit hard on this engine, for a reason. The first 100 miles or so I did baby it; but in reality a fresh engine needs more time than that. Wester's Garage may soon get a visit from me with this ETC.

----------

Rawben, give me 24 hours and you will have a proper update on your order.

Awesome!, What would be cool too is company engraving on the studs, something to this effect.

http://i42.tinypic.com/v4mec0.jpg

A little something i whipped up

97EldoCoupe
01-13-12, 06:35 PM
What's intersting is that my CNC has live tooling capability as well (another axis) - if I wanted to I could program the CNC to cut that into the stud during the manufacturing process. Not worth the time though. That's what lasers are for. That's coming. Good design though Vincent. Back to work- for me-

----------

You have an artist within you Vincent-

ThumperPup
01-14-12, 11:15 AM
I think rather then messing with the stud and putting the Name engraved on it
what would be better is for a
Plate to be made that could be rivited onto something under the hood that says Engine in this Northstart Studed with Northstar Performance Sure Grip Studs
or something like that

i know that if i where looking to buy a used new to me Northstar powered cadillac and i saw that on there
id be more inclinded to buy it then the one with 500k more on it sitting next to it lol

vincentm
01-14-12, 06:04 PM
What's intersting is that my CNC has live tooling capability as well (another axis) - if I wanted to I could program the CNC to cut that into the stud during the manufacturing process. Not worth the time though. That's what lasers are for. That's coming. Good design though Vincent. Back to work- for me-

----------

You have an artist within you Vincent-

I grew up drawing then went onto study animation (traditional and 3D) before I switched to study computer science lol

chicosito
01-19-12, 12:54 AM
Hello Jake,

Can you please contact me ASAP too! I'm a customer that has been waiting for 2 months now with a great deal of patience. Please!

MoistCabbage
01-20-12, 07:38 PM
Might want to try sending vincentm a PM.

chicosito
01-21-12, 12:42 AM
Still waiting... 800# still doesn't work and I've sent e-mails? Anybody know where Jake is?

ThumperPup
01-21-12, 09:57 AM
Still waiting... 800# still doesn't work and I've sent e-mails? Anybody know where Jake is?

seems for some reason that has not been answered yet at least i don't think it is
that Vincent is the only one who can get a hold of jake
well its either that or
Vincent is Jake and hes Incognito as Vincent perhaps LOL

Has anyone ever seen Jake and Vincent in the same place at the same time ? :stirpot::osnap:

Ranger
01-21-12, 11:54 AM
Standby.

RippyPartsDept
01-21-12, 11:59 AM
3.... 2.... 1.................

ThumperPup
01-21-12, 12:10 PM
Do we have lift off yet ?

97EldoCoupe
01-21-12, 12:53 PM

Yes - I know many people have had a great deal of patience. And I sincerely appreciate that. The past week everythings involved set-up and production. I had to move the second lathe out of the non-heated shop because at -16 degrees C (close to 0 degrees F) that machine didn't start up anymore. oil was too thick. I just came in from the shop, running a set of 93-99 studs at the moment.

I had about 35 orders to ship. Many have gone, some haven't, each one that has not yet will have a track # by Monday sometime and as far as I know; all will have shipped Monday; oldest first. If they haven't all shipped in order I have reasons for that; the parts are different for 93-99 and 00+. 8 sets of studs in their various kit forms had shipped out yesterday.

It's difficult to keep good public relations with the position I have been in so the patience you all have shown: I really thank you.

All the supply issues- that's changing now. It definitely is not an overnight thing. But after orders are all caught up we're not stopping until the shelves are full.

Phones have not been answered for the simple reason of I don't have the time. I have been returning some calls and catching a few. I sure hope my old receptionist does not find this post: 226-378-1680- text me if you have questions or comments- I can respond to texts while that CNC is working in front of me- but it's too loud in there to take or make calls.

I know many of you may not understand the way I'm doing things right now; but I'm making every decision with the best interest in mind for my customers.

----------

I came very close to closing the doors and giving up because I had nothing left to work with, nobody to fall back on for assistance. Please keep this in mind before anyone says "you need someone to take and make phone calls".

Recovery takes a bit of time.

I'll post a photo of the new production parts in a second:

----------

chicosito - email me - info@northstarperformance with your contact info and I'll give you a call this afternoon.

----------

http://www.northstarperformance.com/img/24studs.jpg

----------

These were the first production run studs for the Toyota 2.4 that I personally installed and tested on a local customer's car (5 miles away)- The Northstar studs are identical just different in length.

The photo does not do justice for thread quality and machine finish.

----------

For entertainment purposes; check this link out: This is the crap I had to deal with from one of my past suppliers:

http://www.northstarperformance.com/threadissues/threads2.html

I never shipped any of these studs out. Some got sent back to my suppliers; others got thrown in the scrap bin. You can imagine how PISSED off I was to be paying big dollars for parts like this. Not being able to send parts out that I had waited a very long time to receive, is not good for business. Sending studs like that out; would have been worse.

I couldn't take that B.S. anymore. I contacted other machine shops to produce for me; but their quotes were all so high that it would not have been worth it.

In-house production was the only way.

----------

What many people may not know is that for proper threads, especially when you're rolling threads; the diameter of the blank has to be +/- 0.001". This is an incredibly close tolerance. Oversize, I'll break a set of very costly thread rolls and possibly even the head- and the nuts won't work. Undersize and you lose thread strength. One thread rolling head is worth over $3500. Very picky stuff.

97EldoCoupe
01-21-12, 03:45 PM
This is part of the batch I was working on before: these are the 93-99 Northstar studs:
http://www.northstarperformance.com/img/productionstud2.jpg and a close-up shot:
http://www.northstarperformance.com/img/productionstud1.jpg

vincentm
01-21-12, 04:22 PM
Damn those are just plain sexy

chicosito
01-22-12, 04:13 PM
Sent you an e-mail Jake.

97EldoCoupe
02-02-12, 09:03 AM
The machining is going great. The studs are in stock once again- the rest of the kits are going to be produced now (fixture plates, alignment bolts, etc...). So studs nuts and washers we are able to ship again, full kits in a couple of days I figure.....

Thanks again for your patience. After February 15th for sure things are going to be back to normal and better than ever. Stud quality has never been this high before. Threads are so smooth and precise! Machining quality is terrific-

Just thought I'd post an update.

----------

Oh- and there's a good chance my cell # will change again on Feb 6th. Virgin Mobile decided that using an iPhone on a CDMA network violated their terms of use so they're cutting me off. I will update my cell # if it changes.

Thanks-

chicosito
02-11-12, 11:44 PM
Jake, I sent you an e-mail. I feel like this is the only place I can reach you. That tracking # you sent me about a month ago tells me that you still have not shipped my order as you assured me you would. It appears that there are still issues with the machining from what I just read. Can you please e-mail me back or call me? I've paid you since November for a complete kit. Please, please contact me.

ruelphoto
03-13-12, 11:23 AM
Anybody heard from Jake yet?

CadillacLuke24
03-16-12, 01:38 AM
Porr guy. He needs to gear down and get his cust. service in order. No offense Jake, but you need to go slow bud!

tigers2007
03-18-12, 08:14 PM
Jake needs a real phone to get work done without bs - Blackberry. I've gone back twice and will never make that mistake again!

RippyPartsDept
03-19-12, 11:04 AM
the kind of phone is not the problem

----------

and another thing...

am I the only one who checks his website every day for updates?

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/566/nstarperf.jpg

Faded Crest
03-19-12, 11:20 AM
Kudos to Jake for posting an update. Like I posted elsewhere, it is a tremendous relief to customers to know they have not been forsaken. And as far as phone calls go, I have found that even a call saying "I have not forgotten about you." goes a very, very, very long way toward maintaining good relationships and avoiding bad PR.

I'm very happy to see Jake ready to make a comeback. :thumbsup:

RippyPartsDept
03-19-12, 11:26 AM
he's been posting updates at least once ...usually twice a week for a month or two now

CadillacLuke24
03-19-12, 03:36 PM
I noticed his updates. YAY Jake! Good luck and Godspeed dude!

John.Westlock
03-26-12, 12:57 AM

John.Westlock
03-26-12, 03:01 AM

:yeah: That and use casted in inserts/ studs instead of screw in. Screw in inserts/ studs are really an after thought as far as designing engines go. Great for aftermarket though when you have no other options. That and don't be a penny pincher- use more aluminum where the block needs it.

The BB Buicks were cheap on the cast iron in their days (70s/ 60s) as well (who knows why it was cheap enough back then). Makes no sense to make a killer engine only to limit it by making its structural integrity minimal. The BB Buicks I've heard sort of relied on a real heavy duty crank to provide some of the structural integrity lacking in the block. Its to the point to where people are/ were selling special oil pan/ girdles for them. I've a suspicion the N* design is similar and centered around the crank as well. Neat idea but why not have the best of both worlds? Once again I suspect the penny pinchers whispered in management's ears how they could save 0.02 cents per car and not realizing that just because you got away with it in the lab that you might have issues in the real world. Oh well.:cookoo:

At least the BB Buick issue is fine so long as you weren't building a high HP/ torque engine. The N* issue of cracking blocks is inexcusable.