: RR Tire Pressure monitor

JAYRAT
12-11-11, 12:50 AM
light keeps going off and on for the RR tire PSI monitor. is there anything i can do to service it or do i just wait till it goes out. Then buy new one?

ddalder
12-11-11, 01:03 AM
I've had two replaced over the past year that were defective, but have you checked the pressure in the tire with a gauge?

JAYRAT
12-11-11, 01:07 AM
gauge is the only way i trust. so yes i have, i don't even use monitor is there a way to cut them out of system?. Old fashion i guess

ddalder
12-11-11, 01:23 AM
You're definitely doing the right thing. I only ask because I know some people that trust them without question.

I'm not aware of any way to completely disable them (at least nothing I've actually tried). There is a procedure for resetting them without a tool but you're still faced with replacing it first. I had mine replaced partly because the first was warranty but mostly because I just prefer everything to work correctly. If you check pressures on a regular basis but don't mind the light, you can just hold off.

JAYRAT
12-11-11, 01:28 AM
Yea i get you, thanks. It's the pride of owning a cadillac there is not suppose to be yellow warning lights on. We are the same in thinking everything working correctly

mckellyb
12-11-11, 10:48 AM
I'm glad you asked this because, with the cold weather (30's around here is 'cold'), I've found my RF sensor doesn't always send a signal.

Does most of the time, but this is the kind of thing which will make me insane over the course of a few months....

In fact, today is check tires day. Once every couple of weeks, I'll put the couple of PSI they lose, back in.

JAYRAT
12-11-11, 02:47 PM
So now i'm thinking it is the cold weather, I live in NEW MEXICO and is cold too. So once i travel and tires warm up it does turn off. Not much city driving here (small town)

EChas3
12-11-11, 03:02 PM
Sensor batteries do go bad but my wife & I haven't had such issues with our cars. Tire Rack may be cheaper than your dealer but if you're going to have them do the matching, it may be easier to let them do it all.

Some people report fewer issues when cold by using Nitrogen rather than Air but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile. Race teams use Nitrogen because it is very dry and tire pressures will vary less with temperature changes. Humidity in air can contribute to this. In any case, Nitrogen makes up 80% of air and tire pressures still go down when the weather turns cold.

mckellyb
12-11-11, 03:50 PM
Nitrogen bonus: it doesn't slowly leak out over time. Larger molecules and whatnot.

The 5 BFG A/T's newly put on my wife's RX300 are nitrogen-filled. To my surprise, and delight, Costco filled 'em to 44 PSI, and I thought I was going to have to make an argument for 38 PSI!, even though I wanted 42.

I'm happy.

EChas3
12-11-11, 07:51 PM
Nitrogen bonus: it doesn't slowly leak out over time. Larger molecules and whatnot.

BS. Nitrogen is actually smaller than Oxygen (7 < 8 and both exist in nature as diatomic compounds - 2 atoms per molecule as found in the atmosphere.)

The 5 BFG A/T's newly put on my wife's RX300 are nitrogen-filled. To my surprise, and delight, Costco filled 'em to 44 PSI, and I thought I was going to have to make an argument for 38 PSI!, even though I wanted 42.

I suspect those tires are dangerously over-filled. What does the tire tag recommend? Are you looking to collect on an insurance policy?

I'm happy.

Ignorance is bliss.

Sorry, I don't mean to be offensive but you've been sadly misinformed.

RippyPartsDept
12-11-11, 08:30 PM
Often the light is on because the psi is low not because of a fault (although tpm sensors have also been known to not function when old and cold).

As you drive the car the tire warms and the psi rises turning off the light (or the sensor warms up enough to work).

So if the light is on when it's cold I would suggest checking the psi first before assuming the sensor is bad.

JAYRAT
12-11-11, 09:54 PM
I got it, i will just use good old fashion gauge like always
So now i'm thinking it is the cold weather, I live in NEW MEXICO and is cold too. So once i travel and tires warm up it does turn off. Not much city driving here (small town)

Often the light is on because the psi is low not because of a fault (although tpm sensors have also been known to not function when old and cold).

As you drive the car the tire warms and the psi rises turning off the light (or the sensor warms up enough to work).

So if the light is on when it's cold I would suggest checking the psi first before assuming the sensor is bad.

Lifer
12-13-11, 08:10 PM
I just had one replace -6 years old - for $60.00 courteously installed and set at Discount Tire in Lewisville Texas. Counting the ones the dealer replaced last year under warranty, that's three. Soon, one more will fail.

mckellyb
12-13-11, 11:23 PM
Offensive? Nah...you're entitled to your own opinion.

I have over half a million miles on everything from 72cc scooters to 30K lb. motorhomes. I know when something feels 'wrong'. This car has never been so well-behaved.

Pressures "recommended" by automakers have much more to do more with ride than handling. There are exceptions, naturally.

The nitrogen-only tire fill is supposedly more resistant to losing air, though I believe that is anecdotal. I'll see. Being as 'air' is something like 78% nitrogen, already, I'm quite skeptical, but it was at no cost, so I don't much care.

You're not being offensive, but rather arrogant and condescending. There is much more to vehicles than "by the book" information.

According to Lexus, the fact it does not have the OEM tires fitted as replacements is probably a huge no-no.

Those. Tires. Sucked.

Just to freak you out, I run the Continental DWS Extremes on my STS at 38 PSI, all around.

EChas3
12-13-11, 11:43 PM
Just to freak you out, I run the Continental DWS Extremes on my STS at 38 PSI, all around.

My DWS 235/50R18's are at 30 front & 29 rear to compensate for the overly firm influence of AWD/MRC. 'To each, their own.'

RippyPartsDept
12-14-11, 01:37 AM
nitrogen fills are for keeping pressure constant across cold and warm temps which in turn ups the avg mpg since the tires are always at the optimal psi

yes it's minimal but you can't argue that it doesn't have benefit

for those with the opportunity for a cheap/free nitrogen fill there's no reason to pass it up