: 2006 STS 4 ( upgrade questions and ideas )

Durand216
12-10-11, 11:56 PM
So I have always wanted a Cadillac, and about 3 days ago I went out and purchased a BLUE STS. This car is amazing...only I know there are some slight fixes that I want to make without spending over 1K.

1.) first off I have an iPhone...no NAV, I have the mid grade 6 CD changer package and I have seen a couple of wiring harnesses. Would I be better off installing a aftermarket head unit to accomplish this and be able to keep my steering controls. Seems to be a main issue in getting this to work.

2.) what should I look for in terms of better fuel economy? I have the 3.6L and I have heard of chips to upgrading Cadillac's computer. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my gas?

3.) I want to give my interior a little bit of ambient lighting. However I don't want to be drowning in something that cross from classy to obnoxious. Anyone know of some very dim low light solutions that could give me a couple colors to choose from?

4.) lastly this car has never been touched...only driven...what kind of setting give me optimal perf...better drive-ability?

I'm loving this Cadillac and am sold on the brand. Any ideas or tips are much appreciated.

malatu
12-11-11, 02:28 AM
Stock is beautiful... drive it ... enjoy it.

MacMuse
12-11-11, 02:30 PM
2.) what should I look for in terms of better fuel economy? I have the 3.6L and I have heard of chips to upgrading Cadillac's computer. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my gas?

Don't let me drive it.

While premium is not required for these engines, Cadillac does subscribe to the Top Tier consortium that designates fuels meeting a GM favored blend -> http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Welcome to the forums and enjoy the new ride!

malatu
12-11-11, 04:10 PM
To be clear, premium fuel generally refers to higher octane fuels. Top tier refers to to fuels that have additives that reduce the amounts of engine deposits. Go the the link that macmuse provided and watch the video. It does a pretty good job at explaining what a top tier fuel is and does. It doesn't explain the difference between premium and regular (different octane ratings) fuel and why different octanes exist.

The general rule of thumb is to use octane your owners manual calls for.

Durand216
12-11-11, 07:05 PM
Already a fan of 93 octane, maybe a tune up with some bosh plugs and flush of the transmission and throw some high performance oil in there.

EChas3
12-11-11, 07:38 PM
89 octane Top Tier gas may be better for your car than 93 octane without the proper additives. Stick with OEM spark plugs and oil with the correct GM rating (older V-6 calls for different oil than the DI V-6 or N*). There are many threads explaining the reasons behind the Owners Manual recommendations.

Unless your transmission fluid is dirty, burnt or a change is called for according to mileage/use I recommend against changing it. When you do, make sure the shop doing the job uses the right fluid and procedure. You might be surprised how often 'transmission service' introduces contaminents.

Avoid 'chips' promising improved mileage & performance.

On the other hand, do as you like... It's your car, Enjoy!