: Is this $$$ possible?

carguy16
11-05-04, 10:31 PM
Or happened to anyone, this is a post from another forum where I was asking for info, and someone was kind enough to give it to me:

----
I think there are a lot of cars that make more sense than a Fleetwood as a first car. If it has the air-ride suspension, that can be terribly expensive. Another problem with the big Fleetwood is all the electrical and electronics gizmos like climate control, power seats, etc, that give a lot of trouble, are hard to work on, and expensive for parts as well as labor.

It's gonna be expensive for gas, and things like tires cost more for a bigger car.

You also might want to do some more research on that LT1 engine and the cost for parts. On the 94-96 LT1's I've seen, the distributor is on the front end of the crankshaft, behind the crankshaft pulley. The water pump is just above it, and is driven by a shaft that goes from the crankshaft into the bottom of the water pump. The problem is that coolant leaks out around the shaft seal and drips into the distributor, eventually destroying the distributor's innards. Not only is it very labor intensive, but the parts are quite expensive.

While the engine is off and cold, check under the water pump for any moisture. If it's damp, chances are the seal is leaking, and the distributor is already either trashed or on its last legs. So you might as well count on a big bill to replace both the water pump and distributor. (I've heard that it is not unusual to have to spend $1000 to pay a shop to replace the water pump and all the distributor parts that the leak has damaged.)

If you really want such a big gas-drinker, I'd suggest a Caprice or a base Buick Roadmaster (without air-ride) which are the same basic frame and body, but without as many gizmos.

About 1 out of 4 of those years of GM's big sedans I've seen have a problem with the right rear window mechanism--the window falls off the track. So run it and all the other windows up and down sevral times. Junkyard parts are going to be hard to get for them if they're bad because so many of them fail.

BTW, the 94-96 Caprices with the 350V8 option, the 94-96 Buick Roadmasters, and the 94-96 Fleetwood all have the 350ci 260 HP LT-1. The 93 and earlier 350's had something like 180 HP, so there's a big difference in performance. But 180hp is adequate.

Interestingly enough, the stock Roadmasters typically handled better than stock Caprices and the Fleetwoods.

In the 94-96 Roadmasters and big-ugly Caprices, look for the trailer towing or handling package with the 350. They'll have a bigger sway bar up front and a sway bar on the rear, and will handle a lot better. They also have a separate transmission oil cooler. But don't buy one with a big trailer hitch on it, or it if ever had one. A lot of people bought them because they can tow a trailer, but that does wear them out faster.

If you don't mind its looks, a 94-96 Caprice with 350 and handling package is essentially an Impala SS that is uglier and taller, but sells for a fraction of the cost of an SS.

One final thing. '94 is the first year for the R-134 Freon, which will make it a lot cheaper to fix the AC than on the 93 and earlier ones that use R-12. From what I've seen the popular and cheap R-134 conversions do not really last long or work all that well.

----

Im only worried about this, I know this could be a costly bill. I dont care about gas or anything else...

Adam
11-05-04, 10:44 PM
gas is not that expensive for a Fleetwood. i put in 30 bucks and it lasts about 10 days. tires are more expensive but that is because you have to have a larger tire. stuff isnt that expensive to fix. hell, if you go to a junk yard that has one and everything works on it, it isnt expensive. he sounds like he knows a few things but dont let him scare you, Fleetwoods are top of the line cars and things dont break as easy and dont quit working that much. nothing is messed up on mine except for the change oil light but nothings wrong. get a Fleetwood. if you dont, youll regret it. terribly. i miss mine, it wont be back until monday :( .

3lowlacs
11-06-04, 12:36 AM
gas is not that expensive for a Fleetwood. i put in 30 bucks and it lasts about 10 days. tires are more expensive but that is because you have to have a larger tire. stuff isnt that expensive to fix. hell, if you go to a junk yard that has one and everything works on it, it isnt expensive. he sounds like he knows a few things but dont let him scare you, Fleetwoods are top of the line cars and things dont break as easy and dont quit working that much. nothing is messed up on mine except for the change oil light but nothings wrong. get a Fleetwood. if you dont, youll regret it. terribly. i miss mine, it wont be back until monday :( .
i dont have larger tires :) on my fleetwood :cool: and i have had no probs with my electrical(yet) and i have had it for8 yrs.....my 2 cents

Adam
11-06-04, 01:05 AM
i dont think he plans on putting hydraulics in his car though. i know mine arent expensive. i paid 45 dollars per tire for my wires wich arent on yet. it will be juiced in the spring so i am still saving up to have them installed.

brougham
11-06-04, 01:15 AM
All of the Roadmasters have power windows and seats and stuff and probably a lot of Caprices do too. That person is telling you that the LT1 is expensive to fix and the Fleetwood is bad on gas but then he's telling you to look at Roadmasters that have it too and is almost the same size just like the Caprice. And both are going to be just as bad on gas.

I'm happy with the gas milage of my Cadillac and the performance from my 350. If I was going to get one of those Fleetwoods I would care more about what kind of condition it's in and that I like the colour it is and that it has all the options I want more then what engine it has. But I'd probably take a newer one then 1993 just because it's newer.

Stop worrying about all this stuff. Just find one that you like and get it :)

Adam
11-06-04, 01:34 AM
:yeah:

Kenny13z3
11-06-04, 11:15 AM
i own a 83 coupe deville, i know its not a fleetwood but everything works in it still, i also hope to juice mine soon :)

89_Brougham
11-06-04, 12:56 PM
Everything works on mine, I mean everything. It was taken care of and three yrs. ago you could not give me a large car like that but it is sitting in my garage for the winter and I am dying to get it on the road. Nothing will get more looks than an older Fleetwood its just something about them. Regardless of what car you get all will give you some problems, they dont run forever with no maintence.

ocjmakaveli
11-06-04, 11:21 PM
my 2 cents are as follows

EVERY TIME, no matter what car, it comes down to care for ex. a car well taken care of will always have less problems, this will have nothing to do with model at least when it comes down to caprice/impala ss/fleetwood they are all GM and the only difference i see are interior and slight quality issues regarding body parts only.

regarding fleetwoods electrical pluses that aren't on chevy cars i haven't had any fail problems with them whatsoever in the least bit.Only reason i could think that the roadmaster would handle better is because its essentially a station wagon and it needs to handle more loads. Then again the fleetwood was built for comfort not for stability or handling trust me don't try to make sharp turns over 20mph on a stock fleetwood car cause it sucks and its dangerous but for a bit of money you can fix it.

then again with a roadmaster i wouldn't go over speed bumps at over 3mph like i usually do with my fleetwood my stock fleet could handle speedbumps at about 10mph without any harshness because of the supersoft stock air ride

each car has its trade-offs don't buy a fleetwood for a daily driver if you expect to run it for more than 500 miles a week and can't afford about $50 for gas weekly or don't want to spend that much then again thats one reason why so many fleetwoods have low mileage and are generally treated better and maintained more often

i have always thought concerning used cars i would prefer a rich man's left overs before anything else.

trust me all parts for the cadillac fleetwood non-body or non-interior related are the same price as impala ss etc. but if you get into interior/exterior body parts they are super expensive so find a car with a nice body etc. because its cheaper to fix mechanical problems hopefully you are a do-it-yourselfer

don't believe the hype the caddy fleetwood is the best dollar per pound buy you can ever get in this car size

impala ss is a nice car its just the stock body looks low class "cheap" although i would still buy one lol for the performance if i ever wrecked my fleet and could not find a good replacement i'd buy an impala ss

roadmaster has the minivan look that no single man should drive or i wouldn't ever even with a family/wife/kids

impala ss has the bachelor look going with a need for speed twist

the fleet looks like a limo sort of too classy to be sporty so there is a lot of old man stereotyping still attached to the cars image

caprice is a good starter car but it never gets the respect it deserves mainly because its shamed with being a cop car back in the day and i still see some in use

anyhow A CAR is better than no car don't go over your head and get something you can afford with some money left over

Later

RBraczyk
11-06-04, 11:42 PM
Dude, find a car you like, and get it. Don't worry about what everyone tells you. Just find something you like, and stick with it. Me, I have no choice, but I fortunately love my truck, wish it had less miles, but I still love it. Find what you want, and get it. You are getting way to wound up over cars.