: Thermostat and hoses $$$$$$$ ????????????

Smiling Jack
12-10-11, 01:25 AM
I'm looking at a $1500.00 estimate to replace the thermostat and radiator hoses on my 06 STS.

The last time I had this kind of trouble was over 30 years ago. When I replaced the thermostat and 2 radiator hoses on my '71 Coupe DeVille it took minimal cost of the parts, a bit of coolant and a couple of hours of my time.

Have things become that much more complicated over the years, or am I missing something here?

ddalder
12-10-11, 08:44 PM
I'm curious what the breakdown on this is (parts, labour, etc)?

Smiling Jack
12-10-11, 09:20 PM
Will post on this when I can get the detail

scott9001
12-10-11, 09:30 PM
it is only posted on alldata as a 1.1 hour job and a skill level b your getting hosed becuase a thermostat cant be that exspencive get your hands dirty and give it a try!

----------

2.7 on a v6 rwd we need more details to be more exact!

Smiling Jack
12-10-11, 09:41 PM
it is only posted on alldata as a 1.1 hour job and a skill level b your getting hosed becuase a thermostat cant be that exspencive get your hands dirty and give it a try!

----------

2.7 on a v6 rwd we need more details to be more exact!

Today I priced the parts at my local O'Reilly's at about $160.00. If I recall, the cost of the parts for my '71 Coupe DeVille (circa 1976) was less than $40.00. The current thermostat was about $50.00. It comes as an assembly with its housing. The hoses totalled over $100.00. That blew my mind.

ddalder
12-10-11, 11:20 PM
My guess is there are other items on the quote. Didn't want to jump to conclusions until you posted from the printed document. I'm thinking there has to be more to their story.

Smiling Jack
12-11-11, 12:30 AM
My guess is there are other items on the quote. Didn't want to jump to conclusions until you posted from the printed document. I'm thinking there has to be more to their story.

Probably a good guess.

I'll post on that on Monday

EChas3
12-11-11, 03:29 PM
I'm sure they included flush & fill with Dexcool but can only get near $500 in my head. What are your symptoms?

Smiling Jack
12-12-11, 11:49 AM
My error.

The breakdown was on the back, and it included brake job, front and rear, and a new set of tires.

The thermostat and hoses part WAS, in fact, about $500. The labor is high - apparently because, on the V6, the intake manifold needs to be removed to get access. That does not seem like a very smart design to me.

ddalder
12-12-11, 10:01 PM
My error.

The breakdown was on the back, and it included brake job, front and rear, and a new set of tires.

The thermostat and hoses part WAS, in fact, about $500. The labor is high - apparently because, on the V6, the intake manifold needs to be removed to get access. That does not seem like a very smart design to me.
Yes, this seems to make much more sense. Still a lot of money but it sounds like there is a little more labour necessary than some engines. One point to consider, many dealerships will charge each item separately. For example, R&R thermostat, R&R lower radiator hose, R&R upper radiator hose. If they do this, the standard labour time guides will allocate a certain amount of time to drain and refill coolant for each. This means you could be paying three separate labour charges to drain and refill coolant, even though it is only done once during the same service. It probably wouldn't add up to a lot, but it's the principle. Personally, I feel labour time guides are (most often) a consumer's enemy. I fight with our fleet vendors a lot over some charges.

z06bigbird
12-13-11, 12:03 AM
I just 'rebuilt' a 2000 Trans Am. (Honest mechanic did work.) Radiator, thermostat, radiator hoses, etc were no problem. Heater hoses were about $250 or more wholesale. Mechanic said that it would have been easier to pull the engine!!

Life is tough.