: 2009 STS N* Rear Window Defroster Repair Shop

ddavis75007
12-09-11, 01:30 PM
I am hoping some of the knowledgable people here can point me to a reputable repair shop in the Dallas area that can diagnose and repair a non-functioning rear window defroster. I took it to my dealer, Crest Cadillac, to see if I could get it repaired under warranty. A waste of time as they want to replace the rear window for $1000. (They also wanted to replace my "dirty" air filter that I had replaced the day before!)

I have found numerous repair kits and instructions on the internet, but I'm just not up to the task anymore, to old and fat.

Thanks,
Doug Davis

caddyfat2
12-09-11, 02:14 PM
Doug how many miles are on your 2009. You should still be under warranty unless you have over 50k miles. If you have less than that then they will have to repair it. If it takes replacing the whole rear glass then so be it and if your waranty expired then do whatever solves your problem. A word to the wise is GET YOURSELF AN EXTENDED WARRANTY or you will go broke soon. Mines have used atleast $4000 worth of warranty in 2.5 years.

ddavis75007
12-09-11, 02:26 PM
My mileage is 48,500 or so. I also have the CPO thing. Warranty is why I went to Crest in the first place. Crest is claiming that the problem is scratched lines and not covered by warranty. Maybe try a different dealership? I just don't have a lot of faith with any dealerships anymore.

ddalder
12-09-11, 02:42 PM
If it is a damaged grid, they may give you grief over a warranty claim. Pretty much any auto glass shop should be able to help you out as long as they can identify where the break is. How many lines are affected? There is a test procedure using steel wool to help pinpoint the problem area(s).

ddavis75007
12-09-11, 06:04 PM
Here's an update. Over lunch, I took to a different delear, Sewell. I have an appointment Tuesday to get the rear window replaced under warranty. I'm happy now.

RippyPartsDept
12-09-11, 06:22 PM
glad to hear you're getting taken care of

EChas3
12-09-11, 10:10 PM
It's amazing how some 'service' people would rather deny warranty claims that make their dealership money. The dealership purge of 2009 helped, but didn't eliminate all the 'stealers'.

If polite patience doesn't work with your nearest dealer, find another. If you decide against an extended warranty, be prepared for repairs costing at least as much.

RippyPartsDept
12-10-11, 11:07 AM
Also feel free to file a complaint with corporate. The cust. svc. reps on the forums can help with that if you need.

ddavis75007
12-13-11, 01:17 PM
I dropped it off at the Sewell dealership this morning. I also added a list of items to check out since I'm at 48K+ miles. I do have the Certified Pre-Owned warranty unitl 100K, but I understand it may not cover as much as the original.

On a side note, I'm been having a problem with my new cell phone, T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G, and the Bluetooth in the Nav unit. Whoever I'm talking with hears a strong echo of themselves. I had asked Crest to see if there was an update to the Nav's firmware/software. Thier responce was for me to purchase the update disk. I know better, because of this forum. The update disk they told me to purchase contains updated maps. It does not contain the firmware/software for the Nav unit.

It was refreshing to talk with the service manager that actually expressed knowledge of this difference.

Because of this list, I'm in a loaner CTS and expect Sewell to have my STS for 2 or 3 days. I'll update this thread when I get news.

Thanks all.

EChas3
12-14-11, 12:23 AM
While speaking with someone on the hands-free phone, turn down the volume one or two increments and see if the echos diminish. (The only time the phone volume can be adjusted is during a call.) This may reduce your volumne enough to pevent the the other caller from hearing their own echo.

ddavis75007
12-14-11, 12:06 PM
I think I have tried that, but will try it again when I get my car back.