: Raising driver seat

chinorider
12-08-11, 09:53 PM
My wife is vertically challenged and even at max height she needs a pillow in her new 2011 STS. Any ideas on how to raise the seat a bit ?

Thanks

mrau
12-08-11, 10:59 PM
I always thought the driver's seat never raised as high as it could. The passenger seat seems to go a bit higher. It will be interesting to see if anyone has raised the seat or knows how.

EChas3
12-08-11, 11:32 PM
One of the reasons I bought my 2006 STS rather than a DTS was that the seat raised higher, making it easier to get in & out of the car. It also lowerd to a driving position that I preferred. Maybe some DTS models were better than the ones I tried, but I'm happy!

kschwed
12-09-11, 03:42 AM
I have the opposite problem. I'm 6'5" and I find that the seat barely goes low enough.

Smiling Jack
12-10-11, 08:24 PM
My wife is vertically challenged and even at max height she needs a pillow in her new 2011 STS. Any ideas on how to raise the seat a bit ?

Thanks

chinorider,

I share your pain. I'm 5'8" (in my thickest athletic socks) , and the highest position in our '06 STS is not really high enough for me to see well out the rear or rear quarters. My wife is 5'4" and long legged; so her eyeballs are a good 3 to 4 inches lower than mine when she's seated and the situation is worse for her - and it's her daily driver. She also enjoys the seat heater; so sitting on cushion is not a good solution for her.

Someone posted on this forum about a solution that involved unbolting the driver's seat from the floor and re-mounting it with longer bolts and stacks of washers under the seat rails. I thought about this, but wondered about crash safety implications. It seems to me that a single washer under each bolt position would not be a problem, but a 6-inch high stack might be a different story.

If an extra inch or more were desired, installation of a length of c-channel or square tube steel under each rail might be a better plan.

Perhaps someone who has tried one of these measures, or someone who is more familiar with the seat mounting hardware and mounting will post some useful info.

ddalder
12-10-11, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, there are a couple of problems with this. As Similing Jack mentions, there is the concern of crash safety/certification. If anything unfortunate happened and your insurance carrier found a non-certified modification, they may give you grief with any sort of claim.

The STS seats only bolt in at the rear. The front has hooks that slide down into grooves with pins in the front so without radical changes to the entire floor pan, the only option might include raising the rear a little. I don't know that you would see any sort of significant benefit, nor is it something I would encourage.

I have no idea whether there is an aftermarket seat or seat base option available. We are in the process of modifying 50 of our fleet vehicles (GM Express Cutaway) with an aftermarket electric seat. Oddly enough, in this case it is because the factory seat sits too high for some of our staff. You may want to look into something like this.

Smiling Jack
12-10-11, 09:51 PM
Another thought:

If visibility out of the rear and rear quarters is the problem then a bit of modification to the trim of the whole car might help.

The front could get a bit of lift, and the rear could be lowered a bit. The rear auto height measurement sensor attachment could be modified, or the auto height function could simply be disabled - or if it ever stopped working, you simply would not have to fix it.

I have not seen them for some time, but there used to be a simple inexpensive product to raise a front with coil springs. It consisted of small rubber spacers that were inserted between coils with the weight of the car off of the springs.

EChas3
12-11-11, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't recommend changing the leveling system. I'd expect that to set an error code and lead to other trouble.