: Engine block heater or Engine coolant heater?

smiley47
12-08-11, 07:24 PM
My 2010 EXT window sticker shows it has the $75 "Engine Block Heater" option. The only reference in the manual is to a coolant heater which supposedly has a power cord on the side of the engine fuse block which I can't see. Are those two separate features? I won't use it much in Arizona but I may need it on trips.

What am I missing?

hcvone
12-08-11, 07:49 PM
My 2010 EXT window sticker shows it has the $75 "Engine Block Heater" option. The only reference in the manual is to a coolant heater which supposedly has a power cord on the side of the engine fuse block which I can't see. Are those two separate features? I won't use it much in Arizona but I may need it on trips.

What am I missing?

Look around the fuse box towards the front on driver side, it should be wrapped with a wire tie and it should have a red/orange plastic cover over the male plug end, you may have to get under to see it better if it was not tied up well

smiley47
12-09-11, 01:08 PM
Look around the fuse box towards the front on driver side, it should be wrapped with a wire tie and it should have a red/orange plastic cover over the male plug end, you may have to get under to see it better if it was not tied up well

I found it once I knew what to look for!!! It was tucked a bit under the side of the engine fuse box still wrapped pretty tight. Thanks hcvone

RippyPartsDept
12-09-11, 01:16 PM
being in arizona i doubt you'll ever need to use it ... that heater is intended for use in areas where the coolant will freeze if the engine isn't running (well below freezing... basically canada and alaska for the most part)

smiley47
12-09-11, 01:44 PM
My EXT was originally delivered to a Montana dealership. Thus the coolant heater option. I imagine up there it's a great $75 investment. I doubt I'll use it but just wanted to know where it was just in case global warming reverses. LOL

RippyPartsDept
12-09-11, 02:52 PM
:cool2:

WoodenKey
04-10-13, 07:06 PM
I was actually looking for this myself, freezing right now in Colorado!
Thank you!

ELUSIVE
04-11-13, 12:01 AM
I'm in Colorado too and my ESV has it.
It came from a dealership in North Dakota when i bought it.
I've never used it, but glad I read this thread to find out where it is if I ever need it.

sdgc
04-11-13, 01:52 PM
$75! Wow.. here they want $400 to put it in... Edmonton, ALberta, Canada. I bought mine from South US so it wasnt a factory installed peice, but I said no way for $400.

ELUSIVE
04-11-13, 02:04 PM
$75 when coming from the factory...

RippyPartsDept
04-11-13, 02:17 PM
it's a lot easier to install at the factory ... not very easy to access after everything is already installed

$400 does seem a bit much but I know that the Canadian prices for just about anything GM are much higher than the same thing in the states

sdgc
04-12-13, 08:10 PM
It's pretty much always in the garage anyways, so I may not even need to use one.... I'm still debating on doing it myself if the block plugs are accessible.... the part was over $200, rest was install for one hour.

andre_outlaw
04-15-13, 10:08 AM
it get's to -30 where I live, when i'm at work there is no plug in and the truck starts no problem after sitting for 10 hours... not sure where you would go on a trip that you will need to plug it in but I wouldn't worry about it.