: Thought on trading my STS4 DI for a DTS lux3

DitkaFan
12-08-11, 01:08 AM
So I am thinking very seriously about trading in my current car as detailed in the subject. My STS only has 37k on it and the DTS has 47k on it but is super clean. It's black ext with black int just like my STS which I love! Mainly after a couple road trips in the STS I feel it just doesn't have enough space.
Moving up to a N* would be nice! Dropping the awd would suck in the winter. I realize there are pluses and minuses with both vehicles. Price wise it will be about an even trade, maybe coming out slightly ahead on the deal.
One question I have is how is the navigation on the DTS compared to the STS?
Other thoughts?

I am test driving the DTS again tomorrow afternoon.

I know I also posted this in the DTS forum, but I am looking for both sides opinions.

ddalder
12-08-11, 03:01 AM
I used to be interested in a DTS. Sure, it's very comfortable and drives well. I just can't get over the fuel door. As soon as I saw it, I was taken back to high school. My math teachers yacht of a Mercury Grand Marquis had one pretty much just like it. I can't imagine how much drag something that size would cause if was accidentally left open :( GM managed to locate it smack in the middle of one of the body lines. Very disappointing. Myself, I just can't get beyond that.

Having said this, if you like the car, you should do what's right for you. From my research, I've found the DTS was never equipped with a stereo as nice as the 15 speaker system in the STS. There is an option for massaging seats (at least in some years) which would be very nice!

Not sure about the specific differences with the nav, other than the screen in the DTS is most certainly smaller. I also don't believe it tilts like the STS.

---------- Post added 12-08-11 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-07-11 at 11:31 PM ----------

Having a look through the nav manual, the sound system definitely isn't as nice. As for the navigation, it can do some cool things. You can subscribe to XM Traffic. You can also use OnStar to download certain information into the nav system to aid in locating POI's, etc. The manual is here:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2011-cadillac-dts-navigation-system-guide.pdf

Greg00coupe
12-08-11, 08:44 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing. They are 2 very different cars. My motivation was just to have a pure road car. STS is OK but comes up short for luggage, golf clubs and the like.

DitkaFan
12-08-11, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing. They are 2 very different cars. My motivation was just to have a pure road car. STS is OK but comes up short for luggage, golf clubs and the like.

Yeah agree. The trunk is really pretty small for being a large car. I love my STS, but feel like it compromises too much. Not sporty yet not a good cruiser. I feel like a 09+ cts di or a 09+ dts ( I need Bluetooth that's why 09+). Are both much better vehicles. Unless your into the Swiss army knife thing :). But I will say, I love the looks of a STS!

EChas3
12-08-11, 10:00 PM
I agree with DD, the designers fouled up in locating the gas cap. I think the best spot is behind the license plate.

While bigger than the STS, the DTS still isn't full-sized (in the old sense). The FWD isn't terrible in poor traction conditions.

turnne
12-09-11, 08:00 AM
I used to be interested in a DTS. Sure, it's very comfortable and drives well. I just can't get over the fuel door. As soon as I saw it, I was taken back to high school. My math teachers yacht of a Mercury Grand Marquis had one pretty much just like it. I can't imagine how much drag something that size would cause if was accidentally left open :( GM managed to locate it smack in the middle of one of the body lines. Very disappointing. Myself, I just can't get beyond that.

Having said this, if you like the car, you should do what's right for you. From my research, I've found the DTS was never equipped with a stereo as nice as the 15 speaker system in the STS. There is an option for massaging seats (at least in some years) which would be very nice!

Not sure about the specific differences with the nav, other than the screen in the DTS is most certainly smaller. I also don't believe it tilts like the STS.

---------- Post added 12-08-11 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-07-11 at 11:31 PM ----------

Having a look through the nav manual, the sound system definitely isn't as nice. As for the navigation, it can do some cool things. You can subscribe to XM Traffic. You can also use OnStar to download certain information into the nav system to aid in locating POI's, etc. The manual is here:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2011-cadillac-dts-navigation-system-guide.pdf

seriously?

How much drag the fuel door would create

The real question...why doesn't the fuel door lock on the STS?
It has to be the only luxury car that doesn't have a locking fuel door

As for the Nav....one would hope it actually works better than the one in the STS

does the DTS have voice activation...and if so..does it actually work?

That Nav tilt feature is useless...IMO..it only had insult to injury when you have a $99 garmin that works better than your factory nav does on a car that had a $67,200 sticker

I have had a DTS loaner when my STS was at the dealer for service

I liked the rear sunshade as well as the extra space...ie...it has a "real " glove box and a trunk
It reminds me of the old 02 STS I had

On another note..its hard to believe that is still has that archaic 4 speed automatic trans
In luxury cars those were dated 10 years ago

Warren

ddalder
12-09-11, 11:36 AM
seriously?

How much drag the fuel door would create

That Nav tilt feature is useless...IMO..it only had insult to injury when you have a $99 garmin that works better than your factory nav does on a car that had a $67,200 sticker

Warren
Guess you missed that it was more a sarcastic comment because of its ridiculously enourmous size. As for the tilt function, perhaps you sit at just the right height to miss glare of the screen but I find it very useful.

chazglenn3
12-09-11, 11:58 AM
I think the best spot is behind the license plate.

I think those had to go when they started really going for improved safety. That was a bad spot in rear end collisions. But the best place for refueling and hiding the gas cap...sigh...I miss the good 'ol days.

turnne
12-10-11, 09:03 AM
Guess you missed that it was more a sarcastic comment because of its ridiculously enourmous size. As for the tilt function, perhaps you sit at just the right height to miss glare of the screen but I find it very useful.

I see....and I guess you actually find the Nav functionality is the STS better than a $99 Garmin?..I dont

as for the glare...if the person is looking at a luxury 3 package DTS it should have the rear power sunshade...something I would find far more use than that 1/2" of tilt the Nav screen on the STS can do

Warren

----------

I think those had to go when they started really going for improved safety. That was a bad spot in rear end collisions. But the best place for refueling and hiding the gas cap...sigh...I miss the good 'ol days.

and a good place to scrape your hand...as I recall from owning a mid 80's Toronado...in the late 80's

on another note..its hard to believe the fuel doesn't lock on the STS

I have never seen another modern luxury car that didn't have a locking fuel door..??

Warren

KRSTS
12-10-11, 12:16 PM
Locking fuel filler door is not really necessary except for possible sabotage. There is a block in the pipe (a screen I think) that prevents any kind of hose or tube being inserted into the fuel tank. I tried.

mckellyb
12-10-11, 12:29 PM
As a road trip vehicle, the DTS is in a league of its own. The STS, while nice and pretty comfy, is not the best choice for 800+ mile days. Just isn't.