: Multiquote Issue / AutoMerge Consecutive Posts

thebigjimsho
12-06-11, 12:43 PM
---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ---------- Testing the new "AutoMerge" feature... ---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ---------- Good. Now I don't have to keep merging everybody's posts...Forum software arbitrarily combining everything is pretty retarded. My quoted post has 2 pieces that have nothing to do with each other. And sometimes I like to skim conversations. So if there is a comment or subject within a thread I don't like, I move on. Now I have to stop and decipher every post? AWFUL.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Are you kidding me? Look at my quote in this post. It has now combined my 2 posts into 1 quote. So now if you're reading newest replies first, you need to go to the original quote and then try to break everything up and then attribute to whom each quote was directed. This update is hacked or half-assed. Either way, it sucks...

Lord Cadillac
12-06-11, 01:47 PM
Forum software arbitrarily combining everything is pretty retarded. My quoted post has 2 pieces that have nothing to do with each other. And sometimes I like to skim conversations. So if there is a comment or subject within a thread I don't like, I move on. Now I have to stop and decipher every post? AWFUL.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Are you kidding me? Look at my quote in this post. It has now combined my 2 posts into 1 quote. So now if you're reading newest replies first, you need to go to the original quote and then try to break everything up and then attribute to whom each quote was directed. This update is hacked or half-assed. Either way, it sucks...

Multiquote is your friend. Use multiquote instead of making multiple separate posts and everything should work out fine from here on in. We're going to try this out for 365 days. If it fails, I'll switch back to the old way.

orconn
12-06-11, 01:54 PM
I agree with the Big Jim, Multiquote sucks!!!

Lord Cadillac
12-06-11, 02:37 PM
PM me when it fails you and I'll look into it.

I agree with the Big Jim, Multiquote sucks!!!

hueterm
12-06-11, 02:59 PM
I agree on the multiquote...sometimes it's fine, but I usually reply as I read something. Not read the whole unread part of the thread and then reply all at once.

Lord Cadillac
12-06-11, 03:04 PM
This is one of those things we should all start getting used to/comfortable with as future versions of the software will be automatically merging multiple posts by the same user account. This saves database resources as new posts are additional fields in the database and new pages mean more links and higher CPU usage and resources for the server.

I agree on the multiquote...sometimes it's fine, but I usually reply as I read something. Not read the whole unread part of the thread and then reply all at once.

Blackout
12-06-11, 03:34 PM
We had multiquote on the last forum I was on. The only people over there who didn't like it were the one's who were more worried about keeping their post counts high

gdwriter
12-06-11, 05:12 PM
We had multiquote on the last forum I was on. The only people over there who didn't like it were the one's who were more worried about keeping their post counts highOh, dear. We don't have anybody like that around here ***cough*** thebigjimsho ***cough***

OffThaHorseCEO
12-06-11, 06:59 PM
This is one of those things we should all start getting used to/comfortable with as future versions of the software will be automatically merging multiple posts by the same user account. This saves database resources as new posts are additional fields in the database and new pages mean more links and higher CPU usage and resources for the server.

exactly. this means the forums will be m0ar fast

thebigjimsho
12-06-11, 11:35 PM
This is one of those things we should all start getting used to/comfortable with as future versions of the software will be automatically merging multiple posts by the same user account. This saves database resources as new posts are additional fields in the database and new pages mean more links and higher CPU usage and resources for the server.well, you need to still fix issues with this software.

When you are using quotes from multiple posts of the same user, it combines these separate posts into ONE SENTENCE. Not only does it make for confusing posts for those trying to break down a conversation, it can be misconstrued in arguments and disagreements. I personally don't give a rat's ass about post count, but I don't like it being confusing as hell to read large threads around here...

cadillac kevin
12-07-11, 12:04 AM
multiquote is waffles

Blackout
12-07-11, 08:18 AM
well, you need to still fix issues with this software.

When you are using quotes from multiple posts of the same user, it combines these separate posts into ONE SENTENCE. Not only does it make for confusing posts for those trying to break down a conversation, it can be misconstrued in arguments and disagreements. I personally don't give a rat's ass about post count, but I don't like it being confusing as hell to read large threads around here...Works fine for me :hmm:

Lord Cadillac
12-07-11, 12:30 PM
well, you need to still fix issues with this software.

When you are using quotes from multiple posts of the same user, it combines these separate posts into ONE SENTENCE. Not only does it make for confusing posts for those trying to break down a conversation, it can be misconstrued in arguments and disagreements. I personally don't give a rat's ass about post count, but I don't like it being confusing as hell to read large threads around here...

Can you show me an example of this? That sounds odd. If that's a problem, I'll bring it up with the software vendor... I'm guessing it's just something I've never noticed...

Submariner409
12-07-11, 02:12 PM
Something is going very wrong............recently - within the past 2 days --- When trying to reply to a post, it gets added to a previous post with a light blue line describing the time and reason for the (added) edit - you wind up with two different "posts" in the same post, and there's no way to get away from it.......every post you go to continues to add more "edits". I just logged out and back in and the same Deville thread adds all my replies into one previous post.

"2003 DHS using a LOT of oil........" --- let me try again - take a look at one of redfishsc's last posts in there...........

Lord Cadillac
12-07-11, 02:20 PM
Is it not working the way it's supposed to? I'm going to reply again right after this post. It should automatically merge with this one.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

This post should be merged with my last post. To note, if I were to have replied an hour later, it would be a separate post and would not get merged with the last...

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

It worked. Instead of having three separate consecutive posts, I now have one with all of my input.

Submariner409
12-07-11, 02:29 PM
Problem was (and it just worked OK up there), I replied to an engine post in the same thread, then to a gasoline/WOT post, again in the same thread, and both different replies got rolled into one.

I left the Forum, logged out, came here and did the first post on this, then went back to the oil burning Deville, made a new post (see the bottom lines) and it went OK.

I now see the idea - one member cannot have two (or three) consecutive posts that address different questions within the same thread i.e.: Sal in one post, redfishsc in the second, and SSickLS2 in the third........................

JimmyH
12-07-11, 04:00 PM
I don't have a problem with automerge. But I don't like using multiquote. it takes too much time, and it's too confusing for me. Then again, I am a simpleton.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

automerge :D

thebigjimsho
12-10-11, 07:34 PM
I often use Multiquote already when 2 or 3 people ask the same thing or I'm rebutting them all at once. I have no problems with that.

But Sal, now that this has been spliced out I forget where to find the example. What happened is the same person made 2 totally different posts within the same thread. I quoted one and gave my rebuttal. Then, I took his other quote and addressed that, too. However, his 2 quotes got merged into 1 quote bubble AS ONE SENTENCE. My 2 rebuttals get stacked one on top of the other...

It misrepresents the one I quote, it makes my rebuttal more confusing and it forces you to dig within the thread to figure out the whole clusterfudge...

JimmyH
12-10-11, 08:42 PM
^that shouldn't be. must be a bug.