: Headlights on During Day

jasonjsimon
12-06-11, 07:51 PM
Okay, so I have a question on the automatic light function. I believe it should work like any other car, where the head lights come on in the dark and turn off in the light. My car does this sometimes, but sometimes the headlights stay on during the day. This happens even when the dash lights and navigation are in daytime mode. I'm concerned about all the extra hours put on the headlights when only the side markers should be lit.
I can't seem to find a pattern to when this works right or not. Anyone have any ideas?

ddalder
12-06-11, 08:18 PM
If your windshield wiper control is left in either delay or RainSense mode (as opposed to being off altogether), your headlights will come on during the daytime. This is a safety feature built in by GM. You will likely find this is your problem.

jasonjsimon
12-06-11, 09:07 PM
If your windshield wiper control is left in either delay or RainSense mode (as opposed to being off altogether), your headlights will come on during the daytime. This is a safety feature built in by GM. You will likely find this is your problem. Oh really?!!! I wonder why this is. I thought I could just leave the RainSense mode on and forget about it... but I guess if that is going to conflict with the auto lights, I guess I'll have to just keep it off until it rains. Thank you so much!

ddalder
12-06-11, 09:12 PM
GM's rationale is that if your wipers are on for more than six consecutive seconds, there is potentially a decreased visibility situation. DRL's go off and regular low beams, etc are turned on. They have done this in a number of vehicles. Of course you can leave the control in RainSense mode but this is the result. No harm, other than increased maintenance with your exterior lighting.

ddgm
12-07-11, 07:15 AM
Oh really?!!! I wonder why this is. I thought I could just leave the RainSense mode on and forget about it... but I guess if that is going to conflict with the auto lights, I guess I'll have to just keep it off until it rains. Thank you so much!

Some States and Provinces have a law that says when the wipers are on, the headlights must be on too. Think of it as GM saving you a fine and maybe more.

Doug