: Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard

Marc NY
12-06-11, 02:40 PM
The CUE with HD radio will come out in the XTS first and then the SRX & ATS to follow.

Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard
2011-12-05

DETROIT – Starting with the new XTS luxury sedan in spring of 2012, Cadillac will become the first U.S. manufacturer to offer HD Radio™ as standard equipment. HD Radio technology will be one of the many new features embedded within CUE, Cadillac’s upcoming user experience for in-vehicle connectivity.

HD Radio technology is a digital broadcasting format for AM and FM stations in the United States with more than 2,100 stations now broadcasting the digital signals alongside their traditional analog signals. Currently, HD Radio broadcasts are available to approximately 90 percent of the U.S. listening audience.

Among the main benefits of HD Radio Technology is digital sound quality on both FM and AM stations. The technology also offers provides consumers with additional channels known as HD2, HD3 and HD4s with broadcasters offering additional, diverse programming and information, all free to the consumer without a paid subscription.

More than 1,300 digital HD2, HD3, and HD4 channels across the country are broadcasting programming, which can be heard with an HD Radio receiver.

HD Radio Technology also transmits show Program Service Data – such as song titles and artist information – that display on the CUE audio screen. It can be paused up to 20 minutes, allowing users to resume the program – similar to a DVD – if they interrupt a program while driving.

In the Cadillac CUE system, HD Radio users will have the added feature of iTunes® Tagging, which allows listeners to tag their favorite songs for later preview and purchase on iTunes.

“HD Radio Technology is an excellent addition to CUE, the groundbreaking user experience for connectivity and control which will debut in the new XTS luxury sedan in spring 2012,” said Cadillac Product Director Hampden Tener.

CUE’s audio functions also include standard AM/FM radio, integrated iPod/MP3/smartphone media player connectivity, multi-device music indexing, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, and applications such as Pandora.

Among the additional CUE features are built-in turn-by-turn navigation, natural speech recognition, hands-free calling, multiple device Bluetooth synchronization – all controlled by a vibrant icon-based touch screen that features haptic feedback, user-customizable menus and a concealed storage tray for cell phones and other devices.

Jeff Jury, chief operating officer of HD Radio developer, iBiquity Digital said: “We are very pleased to be part of CUE, Cadillac’s innovative user experience platform. Including HD Radio Technology as a standard feature highlights Cadillac’s commitment to bringing the latest digital entertainment technologies to their customers.”

OnStar controls are also accessible through the CUE touch screen.

About Cadillac

Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and advanced technology. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

About HD Radio – iBiquity Digital Corporation
iBiquity Digital Corporation is the developer of HD Radio™ Technology, which is fueling the digital radio revolution in the United States and around the world. The digital technology enables broadcasters to offer new and unique FM content via HD2/HD3 channels, crystal-clear sound and data services on both the AM and FM bands – all free, with no subscription fee. Leading broadcasters, consumer electronics manufacturers, automakers and retailers are committed to HD Radio Technology. iBiquity Digital is a privately held company with operations in Columbia, MD, Auburn Hills, MI, and Basking Ridge, NJ. For more information, please visit http://www.hdradio.com and http://www.ibiquity.com.

TheCaptain
12-06-11, 05:27 PM
HD Radio eh. Well, if i ever give up Satellite and my IPod, and my HDD, i might listen to good old Terrestrial radio... lol

MacMuse
12-06-11, 08:34 PM
I listen to a couple terrestrial HD stations that also send out an Internet feed.

Professional programmers can create a pleasant mix when given the opportunity, and with the reduced commercial load of the HD channel they sound very nice.

Check out WDRV's Deep Tracks stream which I believe is their HD 2 offering.

mrl859
12-07-11, 10:09 PM
The CUE with HD radio will come out in the XTS first and then the SRX & ATS to follow.

Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard
2011-12-05

DETROIT – Starting with the new XTS luxury sedan in spring of 2012, Cadillac will become the first U.S. manufacturer to offer HD Radio™ as standard equipment. HD Radio technology will be one of the many new features embedded within CUE, Cadillac’s upcoming user experience for in-vehicle connectivity.

Ford has offered HD radio as standard with the Sync/Nav since the 2011 model year. Doesn't anyone at GM substantiate these claims???

Marc NY
12-08-11, 07:28 AM
Ford has offered HD radio as standard with the Sync/Nav since the 2011 model year. Doesn't anyone at GM substantiate these claims???I believe you are referring to Ford's HD which is offered as an optional Sync/NAV package? If I am correct then the HD does not come as a standard equipment thus you would have to pay extra for that up level option.

I believe Cadillac is stating that they are the first to offer HD as "standard" equipment and not in an optional package.

mrl859
12-08-11, 09:55 AM
While I'm not familiar with their full line up, I know that the electronics package in the Mustang (touchscreen nav/ATC/etc) includes HD radio as part of that package since '11. I know because mine was a '10 and I was bummed. Much like only the CUE equipped vehicles will get it, at least initially.

CaddyFanFL
12-08-11, 12:19 PM
So if GM claims HD Radio will be standard and part of CUE, doesn't that mean CUE must be standard on the XTS?:hmm:

TheCaptain
12-08-11, 12:31 PM
I thought CUE was the new operating system as a vehicle interface?

RippyPartsDept
12-08-11, 12:58 PM
HD radio was an option for Sync ... Ford does not have a vehicle that comes standard with HD radio

CUE is the new infotainment system and all XTS vehicles will have it - all CUE systems will have HD radio ... therefore HD radio is standard equipment on the XTS

CaddyFanFL
12-08-11, 02:28 PM
CUE is the new infotainment system and all XTS vehicles will have it - all CUE systems will have HD radio ... therefore HD radio is standard equipment on the XTS

Good to know, thanks. I wasn't sure if CUE would be standard or optional on the XTS.

Let's see if it will be standard on the 2013 SRX as well..

RippyPartsDept
12-08-11, 02:58 PM
Probably optional on the SRX and ATS ... definitely will be available ... but probably not standard (but who knows... anything's possible i guess)

CaddyFanFL
12-08-11, 03:36 PM
Probably optional on the SRX and ATS ... definitely will be available ... but probably not standard (but who knows... anything's possible i guess)

Would be great if the CUE on the SRX would feature a Head Up Display as well. I also think it's time to offer a radar-based cruise-control as well. Based on the images I've seen, there is def. a button on the new steering-wheel for that feature.

RippyPartsDept
12-08-11, 04:19 PM
cadillac has had Adaptive Cruise Control as an option on DTS and STS ... it will be an option it on the XTS ... look for it on other models as well

JimmyH
12-08-11, 06:31 PM
HD radio is teh awesome. It should be added to all radios.

Willo
12-09-11, 11:34 AM
HD Radio has much less listenable range than your normal FM coverage. (Unless you are in an urban asrea, it's useless..certainly not for long trips.) On AM, it's even worse. It's a "sham" gmimmick being promoted by a company called iBiquity who makes the technology broadcasters have to pay to transmit it and very few stations even offer HD. Most broadcast engineers will tell you it's a flawed technology and likely won't be around in a few years. Best to buy the car based on the vehicle itself. It's not a radio on four wheels, after all!

JimmyH
12-09-11, 01:43 PM
If it's a sham gimmick, it's a damn good one. I would never buy a car based on its radio, but I put an HD radio in one of my previous cars, and it sounded phenomenal. The only thing that sounded better was an actual CD. The sound quality blew away ipod, and XM, well that's not even a comparison. I did lose HD signal out in the boonies, but other than that, it was always good.

Huey Driver
12-09-11, 06:37 PM
Without being argumentative, I think this is a difference between the receiver/amplifier and the actual signal.

There is really nothing about HD radio that should make it better than a CD (or XM or FM for that matter) unless you are listening to an actual 5.1 broadcast. The dynamic range is usually limited by the receiver, not the signal. iBiquity even admits, 'HD' does not 'mean' ANYTHING. In some cases, HD means 'hybrid digital', but it doesnt mean 'hi def'. I've heard it used as 'high density' for its ability to put more info on the same signal.

I believe that the HD radio sounded better, but that is probably because the radio was better, not the signal. I also firmly believe that PEOPLE will hear what they want to hear. If you are predisposed to like XM, you will think it sounds better than FM. If you hate satellite radio, I believe people when they say FM sounds better. That said, XM dynamically allocates bandwidth (and thus, dynamic range) allowing them to make some channels sound better than others.

I'm not an audio engineer, but I would bet that one would agree with me that if your over-the-air signal (whether digital or analog) sounded better than an IPod or CD, its more related to the source of the latter (ie, MP3 sample rate for ipod) than the superiority of the OTA signal. There just isnt any spec where radio beats the dynamic range of an equivalent media.

It all makes sense tho. With all the noise and interference that exists in a car vs a custom listening room, who wants to spend thousands of dollars to replicate every bit of sound. Thats why things like compression and encapsulation were created. With a relatively expensive MP3 device, you dont want to use up all the memory on a high sample rate when all you are doing is listening on bus or city street using cheap earbuds. You use a lower sample rate so you can store more stuff...

But, all these are great for one (or more) reasons, they provide maximum choice in format. :-)

JimmyH
12-10-11, 01:21 AM
Don't know what to tell you. I had a JVC aftermarket head unit that was about $300 or so. Not high end, but certainly not low end. I spent some time flipping between FM, FM HD, ipod, and CD (didn't have XM at the time). HD sounded about as good as CD, I couldn't really tell much difference, but I will assume a CD still sounds better. But it was noticeably better than ipod, and immensely better than FM. I know that for sure because I was able to flip back to back from identical broadcast on FM and FM HD. fwiw, near my house, which is about 40 miles or so from downtown Chicago, I would get occasional dropping of HD. As I got close, maybe 30-20 miles, it didn't drop at all. But I also get static on FM and AM near my house, and as I get closer to the city, that static goes away.

XM is not what I would call horrible. It is probably about the same as FM. I can't really tell to be honest. But even ipod or USB playback it is noticeably better.

Doesn't really matter to me so much anymore as I don't listen to radio anymore. I strictly listen to my ipod now.

jcarlilesiu
12-13-11, 11:56 AM
Ford has offered HD radio as standard with the Sync/Nav since the 2011 model year. Doesn't anyone at GM substantiate these claims???

I was going to say the same thing.

My 2012 ford focus has it standard.

I see now... it wasn't "standard".

----------

HD Radio has much less listenable range than your normal FM coverage. (Unless you are in an urban asrea, it's useless..certainly not for long trips.) On AM, it's even worse. It's a "sham" gmimmick being promoted by a company called iBiquity who makes the technology broadcasters have to pay to transmit it and very few stations even offer HD. Most broadcast engineers will tell you it's a flawed technology and likely won't be around in a few years. Best to buy the car based on the vehicle itself. It's not a radio on four wheels, after all!

I disagree.

HD radio is a digital signal, and thus does not transmit as far as analog.

When FM was introduced, many people complained about its limited range verses AM.

I do agree that its limited to urban areas, but that isn't necessarily a downfall considering millions of people live in urban areas.

JimmyH
12-13-11, 05:08 PM
AM is awesome. I can get news radio 780 from Chicago almost all the way up to Green Bay.