: Classified Ad Help-If you have a problem READ THIS

FlyNLow
12-06-11, 11:58 AM
My apologies for posting this request, but I've sought help from the moderators/administrator with no reply - during the holiday season, it's understandable that their attention is focused elsewhere.

I've tried to post an ad in the "new" classified section, but I'm continually told that I need to "select a thread prefix". I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE 9 and still don't see that option available. Others have posted current ads, so I know the system works. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

FlyNLow

RippyPartsDept
12-06-11, 12:08 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2377/prefix.jpg

you don't have any adblocking or other browser modifications, do you?

seems to show the prefix option for me ... hmm

FlyNLow
12-06-11, 12:48 PM
I've disabled all ad blocking/virus protection add-ons/software, restarted Firefox/Chrome/IE9, and it still doesn't show up. I've tried 3 different computers, and a Droid X cell phone...nothing to be seen. I've also downloaded and tried Opera 11.0 - still nothing. Maybe it's my ISP...frustrating. Thanks for letting me know that it's really there. :hmm:

RippyPartsDept
12-06-11, 01:40 PM
yeah that's really weird ... i wonder if it's some sort of bug in your account here ...

FlyNLow
12-06-11, 02:48 PM
That occurred to me as well. Perhaps some kind moderator/administrator would check that out. I'm sure there's nothing user configurable that I could adjust. I'd love to post the for sale ad for our 2009 CTS with only 9000 miles on it, but at this point, it's been a bit daunting/challenging. Thanks again!

tonyfort
12-07-11, 04:49 PM
I have the exact same problem as well. All different browsers, I've tried everything on my end. I did contact the moderators but have not received a resolution as of yet. I ended up posting to the old classifieds section...:banghead:

JimmyH
12-07-11, 06:00 PM
There must be a bug with some accounts. Did you come to this forum through facebook? That seems to have caused problems for some people.

tonyfort
12-07-11, 06:10 PM
No FB for me; direct login by typing the site into the browser

FlyNLow
12-07-11, 10:05 PM
I have the exact same problem as well. All different browsers, I've tried everything on my end. I did contact the moderators but have not received a resolution as of yet. I ended up posting to the old classifieds section...:banghead:

My sympathies....it's been driving me nuts too. I'd love to post the ad for my 2009 CTS with only 8913 miles on it, but no luck. I've sent notes to moderators, the administrator, and the webmaster. No luck, and no Facebook for me either - direct log on.

Cheers,

FlyNlow

RippyPartsDept
12-07-11, 10:53 PM
I think jimmy meant the original sign-up not the current login method. That would possibly introduce a bug to those accounts that signed up from FB.

JimmyH
12-08-11, 12:32 AM
That is what I meant. There are several bugs only present in accounts that registered through facebook. I sent a note to sal about your problem. But bear in mind he has a lot on his plates and the classifieds are causing lots of problems lately.

You are not really supposed to do this, but you might try creating a new account and see if you can post an ad from the new account.

FlyNLow
12-08-11, 11:04 AM
Gotcha - my misunderstanding. I create web pages for friends and their businesses, and understand how frustrating it can be to try to find the coding that creates these issues. Jimmy, I may try to create a new account to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, that would provide a departure point in trying to figure out what is causing this to happen to some forum members. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

That is what I meant. There are several bugs only present in accounts that registered through facebook. I sent a note to sal about your problem. But bear in mind he has a lot on his plates and the classifieds are causing lots of problems lately.

You are not really supposed to do this, but you might try creating a new account and see if you can post an ad from the new account.

I logged in with a new account - FlyNLow1 - the ad setup worked as it was supposed to with the "thread prefix" visible. It would appear that the problem is in the account setup. Hope that helps - and speaking of help - thanks to all of your for your assistance! [Now...anyone want to buy a beautiful 2009 CTS with only 8913 miles on the odometer? :cool: ]

FlyNLow and FlyNLow1

JimmyH
12-08-11, 04:46 PM
Glad it worked out for ya :thumbsup:

Lord Cadillac
12-08-11, 06:19 PM
Very sorry for the delay in getting to this.. Is there a status update?

FlyNLow
12-08-11, 07:04 PM
Very sorry for the delay in getting to this.. Is there a status update?

Not to worry - it's a busy time of the year....

The latest is that I created a new account, then when I tried to post the ad in the new classified section, it worked - I was able to see the "Thread Prefix" option. I still can't see it under my old/preferred account name [ FlyNLow ], but under my new account [FlyNLow1 ] it's there. Perhaps the issue is in account setup/configuration?

Thanks for all you do for the Cadillac community!

FlyNLow

Slipgate
01-12-12, 08:10 AM
I am trying to post my old wheels and keep getting this:

The following errors occurred with your submission

* You must select a thread prefix.

Problem is, I see no way to do this. I am using Firefox. Can anyone help?

JimmyH
01-12-12, 12:19 PM
It's a bug in your account. See above. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to fix it. You will have to create a new username.

Slipgate
01-12-12, 02:20 PM
ok - I think this is in a lot of accounts though as you will note the severe lack of ads in the wanted section. FYI: I did not sign up from Facebook. I did not even have a Facebook account when I did sign up several years ago. I suggest they remove the requirement for using a prefix or else have a default prefix of "for sale/wanted" to cover both bases for those of us that cannot see the option.

JimmyH
01-12-12, 05:22 PM
The lack of ads is because the current classified section has only been in place a few months. The old classified ad pages, which contained many thousand listings, has recently been removed due to security risks.

48548m
01-12-12, 09:58 PM
I also have the same problem and want to post my 18 ext wheels for sale... not sure what to do.... I didn't sign up through fb either... I guess I will make a new account or find a different site to post the stuff for sale on.

Slipgate
01-14-12, 12:12 PM
I think the issue is visibility to accounts created before the new beta ads were released. I suggest you talk with the programmers about permission issues and field visibility to older accounts.

RippyPartsDept
01-14-12, 01:10 PM
i can see the prefixes just fine and my account has been around since 2007

JimmyH
01-14-12, 03:01 PM
If you having classified issues the easy solution is to create a new account and make sure email notifications are all turned on. That way you can continue using your current account and if someone responds to your ad you should get an email from the forum.

I know it's a pain but there are bugs in the software and sal is dealing with some personal stuff right now so he's been pretty busy. I am not sure there is anything he can do about this particular bug anyway. And we are not Internet brands who have a team of programmers at our disposal.

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 05:42 PM
The prefix issue has been fixed! :) It was a user group issue! All taken care of now...

JimmyH
01-16-12, 11:11 PM
Excellent. Thanks Sal!