: Hello from new member. I just bought my wife a Navy 2008 Escalade w/38,000 miles

PWGUNNY
12-06-11, 11:04 AM
After finally giving in on a long battle, I got my wife the car she's been begging for. I love the looks of the Escalade but I was resisting for the poor fuel economy and not as fond of GM compared to Toyota. My truck is a 2004 4Runner that I was going to sell and then lease a 4 door car, since I felt we didn't need 2 SUV's in the driveway. The end result is I kept the 4Runner and bought my wife the Escalade. I couldn't give up my beloved 4runner. I do a lot of pheasant hunting and my dog and my hobbies will be better suited to the 4Runner than the precious Escalade. We might have bought a Toyota Sequoia, but they ruined their look when they changed the body style in 2008.

So far the only issue after bringing it home from the dealer was that the exterior handle on one of the rear doors was broke. We had the dealer replace at no charge. I've read on here that the door handle issue is common.

The truck has new aftermarket chrome rims with 20" tires. I will consider replacing these tires at some point. These are some no name brand and I might need some more aggressive tread if I have snow issues at our vacation home in the Pocono Mountains.

The truck drives nice, might be the most comfortable car/truck I've ever driven. The amount of options are a little overwhelming. I've been studying my manual to learn all the different features and settings. Which I then have to teach to my wife. I like the captains seats, might help keep my 2 kids from killing each other on long trips. The 3rd row captains seats pull out real easily to allow the dogs kennel to fit back there. Looking forward to a hopefully pleasant ownership of this Escalade.

Looking forward to learning from all the knowledgeable folks on this board.

stater02
12-06-11, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the board. I'm a recent owner as well and hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine!

hcvone
12-06-11, 11:50 AM
After finally giving in on a long battle, I got my wife the car she's been begging for. I love the looks of the Escalade but I was resisting for the poor fuel economy and not as fond of GM compared to Toyota. My truck is a 2004 4Runner that I was going to sell and then lease a 4 door car, since I felt we didn't need 2 SUV's in the driveway. The end result is I kept the 4Runner and bought my wife the Escalade. I couldn't give up my beloved 4runner. I do a lot of pheasant hunting and my dog and my hobbies will be better suited to the 4Runner than the precious Escalade. We might have bought a Toyota Sequoia, but they ruined their look when they changed the body style in 2008.

So far the only issue after bringing it home from the dealer was that the exterior handle on one of the rear doors was broke. We had the dealer replace at no charge. I've read on here that the door handle issue is common.

The truck has new aftermarket chrome rims with 20" tires. I will consider replacing these tires at some point. These are some no name brand and I might need some more aggressive tread if I have snow issues at our vacation home in the Pocono Mountains.

The truck drives nice, might be the most comfortable car/truck I've ever driven. The amount of options are a little overwhelming. I've been studying my manual to learn all the different features and settings. Which I then have to teach to my wife. I like the captains seats, might help keep my 2 kids from killing each other on long trips. The 3rd row captains seats pull out real easily to allow the dogs kennel to fit back there. Looking forward to a hopefully pleasant ownership of this Escalade.

Looking forward to learning from all the knowledgeable folks on this board.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new truck, I am up, in, and thru the Pocono's all the time, if you see any white Escalade's with a FULL 3rd red brake light that is me. :)

Big Windy Ext
12-07-11, 09:18 AM
Welcome! Wait till you see what you can buy or do to it.If you have any questions do a quick search,if you cant find an answer fire away lots of help here and even a resident Cadillac customer service rep who can help at the dealer. Enjoy your ride!

stater02
12-07-11, 10:26 AM
I lived in the Poconos from age 6 - 18. Sounds like there's a lot of us on here from that neck of the woods!

PWGUNNY
12-07-11, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. As for the Poconos, I have a lake house in Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro, PA. I'm looking forward to taking the Escalade up there this weekend on it's first maiden voyage. I know from experience, truck modding can become addictive. I've spent a good deal of time on the 4Runner forum and wound up doing about $4000 worth of mods on my 2004 Runner last fall.

hcvone
12-07-11, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. As for the Poconos, I have a lake house in Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro, PA. I'm looking forward to taking the Escalade up there this weekend on it's first maiden voyage. I know from experience, truck modding can become addictive. I've spent a good deal of time on the 4Runner forum and wound up doing about $4000 worth of mods on my 2004 Runner last fall.

I know that area pretty well, we are usually between Reeders and Lake Ariel in the Pocono's, RT611 area, which is funny because my PA main home is just off RT 611 in Huntingdon Valley

BI2011ESV
12-10-11, 10:53 AM
Welcome from another Newbie, I've owned a 2008 Escalade and just traded it in on a 2011 ESV. Hope you are enjoying yours.

motorwerks
12-11-11, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the board. I too just purchased a 2008 Platinum Escalade with 38k miles on it. Pearl white/cocoa combination. 2008 was as old as I could go to still get the Magnetic Ride Suspension (all Platinums had it standard). Good luck with yours!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-13-11, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the forum! You are going to LOVE your new ride! How did the first maiden voyage go! Keep us updated!
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

PWGUNNY
12-13-11, 10:38 AM
Maiden voyage went well with one exception, but a happy ending. On Saturday night we were in a restaurant in Scranton and my wife noticed my 14yo son had pink gum smeared on the bottom of his pants. I asked if he had been chewing gum and he said "yes, but he spit it out the window of the car". UhhOhh. After dinner I checked the back captains seat and there was smear of pink gum on the cocoa leather seat. I kept my cool and said we would get it out tomorrow. I checked the internet for a solution to the gum problem and the recommendation was freeze it and scrape it off. I tried this method without success. I went back to internet a read that I should try Scotchtape. I had a roll of clear packing tape and I used this successfully. Not a trace of gum left and the process took only 1 minute. The jeans were not as fortunate, my wife tossed them in the trash.
Crisis avoided.

hcvone
12-13-11, 10:44 AM
Maiden voyage went well with one exception, but a happy ending. On Saturday night we were in a restaurant in Scranton and my wife noticed my 14yo son had pink gum smeared on the bottom of his pants. I asked if he had been chewing gum and he said "yes, but he spit it out the window of the car". UhhOhh. After dinner I checked the back captains seat and there was smear of pink gum on the cocoa leather seat. I kept my cool and said we would get it out tomorrow. I checked the internet for a solution to the gum problem and the recommendation was freeze it and scrape it off. I tried this method without success. I went back to internet a read that I should try Scotchtape. I had a roll of clear packing tape and I used this successfully. Not a trace of gum left and the process took only 1 minute. The jeans were not as fortunate, my wife tossed them in the trash.
Crisis avoided.

That's why I make the kids walk. ;)

BlackDynamiteCaddy
12-13-11, 05:31 PM
welcome and congrats on the Escalade! One suggestion....not sure what type of area you live in, but invest in locks for your center caps. I've had my 08 Escalade barely 2 months and all 4 of mine were stolen this past wknd. Even if you think it won't happen to you, its an inexpensive addition and would give you peace of mind and keep ya ride lookin nice....it looks so UGLY without them! Not that big of a deal but frustrating at the same time; I'll rectify the problem this week. Other than that and some other loser scratching it I LOVE mine!

hcvone, you HAVE to tell me where/how you got the FULL 3rd brake light!

ESCALADE132
12-13-11, 06:25 PM
Where do you get the locks for the center caps and do you know how much?
Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

PWGUNNY
12-14-11, 10:20 AM
welcome and congrats on the Escalade! One suggestion....not sure what type of area you live in, but invest in locks for your center caps. I've had my 08 Escalade barely 2 months and all 4 of mine were stolen this past wknd. Even if you think it won't happen to you, its an inexpensive addition and would give you peace of mind and keep ya ride lookin nice....it looks so UGLY without them! Not that big of a deal but frustrating at the same time; I'll rectify the problem this week. Other than that and some other loser scratching it I LOVE mine!

hcvone, you HAVE to tell me where/how you got the FULL 3rd brake light!

Interesting that you brought this topic up. I have aftermarket chrome 20" rims on the truck. The center caps are held in place with chrome hex head bolts. Staring at these center caps, the thouight occurred to me that if I didn't have the proper allen key wrench, I would be unable to take off the center caps to remove a flat tire. I went into the garage and found the proper size allen wrench to keep in the truck. I took one of the center caps off, and it turns out, only one hex head bolt secures the center cap. The other hex head bolts are dummies. I don't think my center caps have the same risk as stock wheels since the potential that someone needs this particular center cap is a lot less likely. Sadly, DIRTBAGS are everywhere and I'm sorry to hear your nice truck was a victim of theft, very aggravating.

BlackDynamiteCaddy
12-14-11, 11:52 AM
Interesting that you brought this topic up. I have aftermarket chrome 20" rims on the truck. The center caps are held in place with chrome hex head bolts. Staring at these center caps, the thouight occurred to me that if I didn't have the proper allen key wrench, I would be unable to take off the center caps to remove a flat tire. I went into the garage and found the proper size allen wrench to keep in the truck. I took one of the center caps off, and it turns out, only one hex head bolt secures the center cap. The other hex head bolts are dummies. I don't think my center caps have the same risk as stock wheels since the potential that someone needs this particular center cap is a lot less likely. Sadly, DIRTBAGS are everywhere and I'm sorry to hear your nice truck was a victim of theft, very aggravating.

Good to know you have locks already....interesting setup there with your center cap locks. I plan on buying a new set of center caps and having locks put on them this Friday at a place my friend told me about. Good move on getting the allen wrench, that would've been a BIG problem! lol Just curious: where are the hex head bolts in relation to the lug nuts?

PWGUNNY
12-14-11, 12:36 PM
The lug nuts are not visible. They are recessed about 2 inches behind the center cap. I can post a pic when I get a chance.