: Interpreting Equipment Designation Codes

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 02:19 PM
On the bottom of my spare tire cover, there is a long list of lettered codes.

I suppose that these are equipment codes.

Is there a reference for interpretation of these codes ?

dkozloski
12-04-11, 04:10 PM
Google is your friend. Search for GM RPO codes.

RippyPartsDept
12-04-11, 04:45 PM
and fyi, RPO = Regular Production Option

any dealer can also get the description easily from the parts catalog

often the google search gets you more detail for options that are more complicated or just not straight-forward

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Chris and Dklosky, for the replies.

I did, in fact, come up with the entire GM RPO list:

http://aplsweb.com/Topics/TopicPix/RPO.pdf

as posted on this forum by Sandy in 2006 under item spscific/tech tips/ RPO codes

I was trying to verify whether my newly acquired used 06 STS actually came with the Universal Home Remote and front seat heaters, which do not seem to be working. I was able to verify that it did have both listed.

But I also found something quite strange: The RPO code set on my spare tire cover has 49 codes which seem to include exactly what is on my car, right down to colors, materials and minutia, but the VIN code on the sticker is different than the one on the car !

The sequence number is different by approx 300,000

Anyone have an idea how that could be ?

RippyPartsDept
12-04-11, 07:05 PM
that is indeed interesting... have you checked other places that the VIN is located? door edge stickers and the VIN plate on the dash (there's other places too i think, but i'd have to look them up)

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 08:13 PM
that is indeed interesting... have you checked other places that the VIN is located? door edge stickers and the VIN plate on the dash (there's other places too i think, but i'd have to look them up)

THanks, Chris

The plate on the dash next to the windshield was my original reference. This is, I believe, the official marking 9please correct me if this is not correct.) This one is consistent with the paperwork on the sale to me, and this one is what I got a CARFAX report for prior to my purchase. The last odometer reading on the CARFAX report was consistent with the car's odometer at the time of purchase (20,100).

I did not think of the door sticker. Will check that one next.

RippyPartsDept
12-04-11, 09:20 PM
the SPID (service parts identifcation) label that you found is supposed to be the official end all be all for the build of the car... having wrong info there is highly uncommon

if you can PM me both VINs I can double check what the build codes are in the catalog and the online system (maybe also send a picture of the SPID label)

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 11:13 PM
the SPID (service parts identifcation) label that you found is supposed to be the official end all be all for the build of the car... having wrong info there is highly uncommon

if you can PM me both VINs I can double check what the build codes are in the catalog and the online system (maybe also send a picture of the SPID label)

Thank you, Chris, for that kind offer.

I will PM you the info as you suggested.

RippyPartsDept
12-05-11, 09:44 AM
Got your PM, and responded via email

interesting that you mention the VIN from the SPID label is a totaled vehicle ... I wonder if somehow your car's spare tire cover went missing or was damaged and this used one from a junkyard was put in there and they didn't think to either swap or remove the label

weird that the options would all be the same ...