: Going to be redoing my headliner, few quick questions.

bstrang6
12-04-11, 10:29 AM
Alright I have an 89 Fleetwood that I want to redo the headliner in crushed velvet. I was wondering if I have to use a backer materiel or if I can just glue the fabric straight to the headliner board?

Stingroo
12-04-11, 11:22 AM
I do believe they make spray glue for this purpose.

Not sure about using it on velvet though.

What color? That sounds pretty sweet.

bstrang6
12-05-11, 12:23 AM
Yea I have been told what glue to use, but I just don't know if I can glue the velvet straight to the headliner board of if I have to use some sort of padding. I plan on using a royal blue velvet. To car has a blue interior right now. I want to re do the headliner due to it sagging, and thing the velvet will be a nice touch. Might go crazy and re do the rear deck tray, and possibly the lower door panels in it as well.

bstrang6
12-07-11, 12:15 AM
Got the board out of the car today, and have all the meterial. This board is really beat up around the one edge, and has a couple cracks in it, what's the best method of repair?

creeker
12-23-11, 06:02 PM
Got the board out of the car today, and have all the meterial. This board is really beat up around the one edge, and has a couple cracks in it, what's the best method of repair?

Sorry to throw you a curve ball, but, if your getting sagging it's very possible that the material between the present head liner and the roof has broken down, I just
replaced my headliner and the material was just like dust, this is a common occurence due to the age of the car, worth checking out.

MoistCabbage
01-29-12, 06:18 PM

I'd fiberglass the backside of the damaged/cracked areas. As for your original question: it's best to use a thin foam between the headliner and the material. Glue the fabric to the foam with spray adhesive, and then glue the foam/fabric to the headliner. I'd apply the adhesive in very light coats on the velvet, won't take much to adhere it to the foam. And make sure it has fully tacked up before sticking the two together.